Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

53 minutes ago, AUNTYGIN said:

Can you take your own chairs and booze (I'm thinking wine box or hip flask) as you can at Glasto an E O T R?

Thanks in advance for help. 

you cannot take booze into the arena.... we do squirrel in hip flasks or small plastic bottles of flavoured vodka but you are subject to bag searches...

chairs you can take in.... although i imagine if it were a choice of the two, the chairs would stay at home.....

The bars have been pretty good there in previous years (easy access/well staffed) but i understand from @glasto-worker that they are under new management this year...

1 hour ago, suttttttt said:

Caught Deap Vally supporting QOTSA at Finsbury Park on Saturday, had totally forgotten what a force they are live. Great addition to the Latitude line up. I think they will be great in the tent!

Absolutely. Couldn't believe it when they came thru with that last wave of acts. And the way things stand at the moment it looks like they might be playing early afternoon in the tent, which should certainly get the festival of to a rocking start! its interesting is that one of my absolute favourite bands of all time is L7, and my youngest daughter's is Deap Vally. Now I'm a huge Deap Vally groupie and she's obsessed with L7. Just goes to show, the spirit of real rock music lives on, at least in LA!

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:23 PM, Miesh said:

Glastonbury, Secret Garden Party, Boomtown, Shambala  - far less civilised than I expect Latitude is going to be :).  Latitude I think will still be fun but calmer, and posher.

Although I think it will be visually like SGP (the lake and art).

There is seating I think around the main stage? I find that a strange concept.

I have not been to an arena festival since my first festival in 1999,  so that part I'm not looking forward to.

Lots of people I know love Latitude and I'm going to (as someone suggested on here) focus on what it is and not think about what it isn't.

I'm the same actually really excited to try something new. I've done all sorts of festivals - V (a long story why i kept going), Glastonbury and lcoally Jersey Live/Weekender (v small boutique but good fun) - Latitude looks fun, slightly concerned about  the Jemimas (is it really that bad)

Seating at the back of the arena ?

What stage is in a tent ? the pictures I thought I had seen from BBC introducing the stage was outside in a tiny woodland area (was I looking at wrong pictures ?)

6 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I'm the same actually really excited to try something new. I've done all sorts of festivals - V (a long story why i kept going), Glastonbury and lcoally Jersey Live/Weekender (v small boutique but good fun) - Latitude looks fun, slightly concerned about  the Jemimas (is it really that bad)

What stage is in a tent ? the pictures I thought I had seen from BBC introducing the stage was outside in a tiny woodland area (was I looking at wrong pictures ?)

Welcome to Latitude. I think it's reputation is slightly exaggerated (aren't most?), tends to mean its a but more civil and a lot of the picnic and blanket brigade at the main stage. 

At the back of the Obelisk area there is tiered seating, only used it when my 3 year old wanted to explore it. 

Stages

1. Obelisk arena, main stage, with seating at the back, think it is The Other Stage from Glastonbury.

2. BBC Stage. 2nd stage like in a tent like John Peel stage

3. Sunrise. 3rd music stage, sort of in a tent, very large gazebo, all sides are open. is in the woods

4. Lake Stage. Not on the lake, 4th music stage, is open

5. BBC Introducing. You are correct, is outside in the woods

6. Film and Music, Comedy, Poetry/Literature, Cabaret and one of the theatre stages are all in tents of varying sizes

Hope you enjoy, we have been going since 2010 and really like it.

29 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Latitude IS great fun! In some ways its a very much smaller, calmer Glasto, but still has much of the same spirit. Easy to get about but big enough to stumble across all kinds of unexpected stuff. Pandora's Playground, the Cabaret Tent and Faraway Forest are all great hangouts if you like the weird, especially late at night. There are, I'm afraid, a fair sprinkling of Tarquins and Jemimas and I admit I do find that side of the festival increasingly irritating, but they are still very much in the minority. Do what we do and stick to the cheap campsites and the great unwashed and you'll be fine. The  second stage - the BBC Music (formerly 6 Music) Stage is the one commonly referred to as the tent and in my opinion has housed some of the very best acts/performances aver the years (I personally likely the more intimate feel of an inside space, especially for bands like Deap Vally, Breeders etc). Aside from it and the main stage (Obelisk) there is the smaller Lake Stage in the main arena area and the Sunrise Arena up in the Woods (whih I also love), plus various smaller performance areas like the Introducing stage, Alcove etc.

You will get various opinions about the seating at the back of the main stage, both good and bad. Personally I am unable to sit still for more than 5 mins at a festival, so definitely not my thing, but some people like it.

Edited by Cat Man

1 hour ago, jamesrfisher said:

Stages

1. Obelisk arena, main stage, with seating at the back, think it is The Other Stage from Glastonbury.

Hmm James.  The Other Stage @ Glastonbury is probably my least favorite stage at any festival I've ever been to.  Variety of reasons : Exposure to wind and hence frequently crap sound, shit food stalls at the back, possibly the worst stage for flags, etc.  So to compare it to the Obelisk may be a bit unfair in some ways. And you will see a lot of folk with picnic blankets @ The Obelisk.

15 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

Hmm James.  The Other Stage @ Glastonbury is probably my least favorite stage at any festival I've ever been to.  Variety of reasons : Exposure to wind and hence frequently crap sound, shit food stalls at the back, possibly the worst stage for flags, etc.  So to compare it to the Obelisk may be a bit unfair in some ways. And you will see a lot of folk with picnic blankets @ The Obelisk.

I don't think he was comparing it to the Glastonbury other stage as such, he was just stating the fact, the physical structure is the other stage from Glastonbury, it was for 2 years but changed again now...

Hope the FR shambles at Finsbury Park isn't symptomatic of what might happen at Latitude this year. Glastoworker- do you know if its the same firm doing the bars 'cause that was pathetic from what I read!??

4 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

The jemimas don’t bite as long as you leave your predudices at home.

2 minutes ago, Miesh said:

@jamesrfisher and @Cat Man

Thank you both. Wonderful descriptions.

Helpful to have Glastonbury references.

The Sunrise area sounds wonderful and I'm interested to explore late night areas when J & T are tucked up in bed. 

Do you know, that’s interesting, because if occurs sightings of J and T have actually been much less frequent after 10pm in one’s own experience.

#toomuchprosecco #toomuchcoke

• Upvote 1

Brian Wilson for the secret set maybe? In Canada on the Sunday but presumably could do a Friday or maybe even Saturday set with the time difference.

Veeeeeeery excited about this now. Trying very not to mention it in every conversation I have but failing miserably. Plus the forecast is looking good as it stands at the minute.

Edited by Flaminglippy

1 hour ago, Flaminglippy said:

Brian Wilson for the secret set maybe? In Canada on the Sunday but presumably could do a Friday or maybe even Saturday set with the time difference.

Veeeeeeery excited about this now. Trying very not to mention it in every conversation I have but failing miserably. Plus the forecast is looking good as it stands at the minute.

So am I, thought I would cruise in without the excitment, but nope, got full blown butterflies . I love the random stuff at Glastonbury and latitude on paper looks to be a good match :-) mixed with a decent line up for me and I'm super exctied

I've done the same festivals for years and years so its so nice to try something new

Do the timings all get announced in a progarmme when you get there, and is it small enough to carry around ?

That reminds me still no campervan tickets - time to call and chase them

1 minute ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Do the timings all get announced in a progarmme when you get there, and is it small enough to carry around ?

They tend to drip feed timings from the start of the week, starting with the main stages, however with the new PR company they might be changing things up this year. Hopefully the map will be released soon too.

2 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

They tend to drip feed timings from the start of the week, starting with the main stages, however with the new PR company they might be changing things up this year. Hopefully the map will be released soon too.

ooo a map yes :-) hadn;t even considered that yay

15 hours ago, Cat Man said:

Hope the FR shambles at Finsbury Park isn't symptomatic of what might happen at Latitude this year. Glastoworker- do you know if its the same firm doing the bars 'cause that was pathetic from what I read!??

The main problem there was for some reason, they allowed 50,000 people into such a small site that had only a few bars- which the queues were organised so poorly, Melvin won't let that happen. 

6 minutes ago, Hawky said:

The main problem there was for some reason, they allowed 50,000 people into such a small site that had only a few bars- which the queues were organised so poorly, Melvin won't let that happen. 

I read that the official apology from the firm running the bars was that 40% of their staff failed to turn up on the day!

How many people go to latitude- does anyone here know ?

O a differnt frustrating note, my tickets arrived last week but no cv pased so I called last week to be told that they've been printed searateyl and would be here shortly - so called again this week to be told it was printed on 2 May and no idea if or when it would be posted but 5 days before they can print a duplicate for colelction at the box office - so frustrating as they obvisouly have not even sent the original ticket !

Anyone else fighting with ticket arrivals still ?

14 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

How many people go to latitude- does anyone here know ?

O a differnt frustrating note, my tickets arrived last week but no cv pased so I called last week to be told that they've been printed searateyl and would be here shortly - so called again this week to be told it was printed on 2 May and no idea if or when it would be posted but 5 days before they can print a duplicate for colelction at the box office - so frustrating as they obvisouly have not even sent the original ticket !

Anyone else fighting with ticket arrivals still ?

The capacity is 40,000 only Saturday has sold out so far though, tickets are always late or complete shambles bit don't worry, if they don't turn up, take your confirmation emails to the box office on-site and they will sort it.