Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

It was stated some time ago that Beyonce and Solange were staying in the same London hotel between 12 and 16 July and then flying into gigs in Paris (Bey) and Suffolk and Dublin (Solange). Can't remember what the whole article said but basically implied a visit to Suffolk from the sisters as there's no other cross-over in their summer tour schedule and they have a history of supporting each other when and where possible. Coachella showed this.

• Upvote 1

Beyoncé putting in an appearance joining her sister at latitude sounds like a good thing for the organisers to spread about to boost the numbers at the main stage and keeps numbers manageable watching James. She may be there to watch little sis but highly doubt she would join her on stage. Would be a bit off to get a better reception than the headline act. Solonge joining Beyoncé on stage at coachella boosts her profile, Beyoncé joining solonge on stage at latitude completely overshadows her.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Beyoncé putting in an appearance joining her sister at latitude sounds like a good thing for the organisers to spread about to boost the numbers at the main stage and keeps numbers manageable watching James. She may be there to watch little sis but highly doubt she would join her on stage. Would be a bit off to get a better reception than the headline act. Solonge joining Beyoncé on stage at coachella boosts her profile, Beyoncé joining solonge on stage at latitude completely overshadows her.

I don't think it will materialise, but not because of the reasons you have stated - what about Foy Vance/ Ed Sheeran 2016?

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

Fair point, well made....though she did exactly that at Coachella 2014.  However, as at the weekend, it was just to dance with each other.  So no duet duelling expected!

31 minutes ago, thesaint78 said:

Day splits are up on the website although no running orders so no idea who clashes etc.

https://www.latitudefestival.com/line-up/artist-a-z#/artists/byDay

You can go down the poster and assign them to days. Here's a start, if anyone's working on the clashfinder...

Solange, Belle & Sebastian, The Charlatans, Benjamin Clementine, La Femme, Gang of Youths
The Killers, The Vaccines, Jessie Ware, Parquet Courts, Alex Cameron, Hudson Taylor, Juanita Stein
alt-J, Wolf Alice, Rag'n'Bone Man, Fickle Friends, Sleeper, Jeremy Loops, Black Honey

James, Nao, Tune-Yards, Hinds, Trail of Dead, Marlon Williams, 
Mogwai, The Breeders, Alvvays, Jacob Banks, Ibeyi, 
Jon Hopkins, Gabrielle Aplin, Bomba Estereo, Idles, Superorganism, Tubular Brass with Hannah Peel

Ola

Can anyone give me the low down on Latitidue please. Never been and looking for a Glastonbury replacement for this year. Bascially tickets are still available, its on a weekend I , and friends can do, and I quite like the look of it

Anyone thats been can they scribble down the good points, not so good points, does it cater for the more mature clientele :-) , how big is the site? Campervan site far away?

I presume its an arena based festival with a rule of no drink inside with you - are there decent bars? What about after hours ?

Thanks a lot

FF

xxx

4 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Ola

Can anyone give me the low down on Latitidue please. Never been and looking for a Glastonbury replacement for this year. Bascially tickets are still available, its on a weekend I , and friends can do, and I quite like the look of it

Anyone thats been can they scribble down the good points, not so good points, does it cater for the more mature clientele :-) , how big is the site? Campervan site far away?

I presume its an arena based festival with a rule of no drink inside with you - are there decent bars? What about after hours ?

Thanks a lot

FF

xxx

The campervan field is a comparable walk to the east cv at G but flat, last year was our first year and we loved it, it is a very friendly festival, the site is in s lovely spot, a lake you can swim in stages and art in the woods, coloured sheep good mix of ages, quite a small site, very eclectic mix of things to see, music is good, comedy fantastic, some utterly random stuff in the speakeasy and other tents, never queued for beer at any of the bars for more than a couple of minutes, it’s definitely more middle class than G but no reason for that to put you off, toilets are kept clean, speak to old timer regulars and they will say it’s deteriorating in quality but we are going back this year and really enjoyed last year, I only saw 4 bands all weekend last year there’s so much else going on.

6 minutes ago, Smeble said:

The campervan field is a comparable walk to the east cv at G but flat, last year was our first year and we loved it, it is a very friendly festival, the site is in s lovely spot, a lake you can swim in stages and art in the woods, coloured sheep good mix of ages, quite a small site, very eclectic mix of things to see, music is good, comedy fantastic, some utterly random stuff in the speakeasy and other tents, never queued for beer at any of the bars for more than a couple of minutes, it’s definitely more middle class than G but no reason for that to put you off, toilets are kept clean, speak to old timer regulars and they will say it’s deteriorating in quality but we are going back this year and really enjoyed last year, I only saw 4 bands all weekend last year there’s so much else going on.

There is certainly no Hill of Death to contend with... a nice easy stroll with only small queues to get in..

I am one of those that had concerns about it detioriorating but am encouraged by both the new streetfood options (last year the food selection was not good) and there looks a great depth to the line-up..

I have always liked the bars and they are all being changed this year (hopefully not going all Carlsberg).

the seemingly hundreds of Jeremy & Jemimah young teens will drive you spare on the first day but you wont bump into them at the bar

It IS VERY civilised... but i really like that contrast with Glastonbury.. It quite wound me up the first year but now i am there on a sunday morning with a pale ale and the grauniad sitting relaxed in the temporary stands..

Sylvan Esso on the 3rd stage last year were one of my festival highlights...(alright, it wasnt Flaming Lips at The Park... but it was banging...)

go with an open mind. dont fret about what it isnt, just enjoy what it is...

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Ola

Thanks a lot

FF

xxx

Hi

I go each year as well as many other festivals such as Glastonbury and this year Boomtown too.  

For me its my chance to really relax and chill at what I believe to be one of the best venues for a festival.  The woods, the lake, the whole layout is great.  Run by festival republic, its run well. Toilets are clean, facilities all work!

Its got a middle class rep and thats slightly unfair in a way.  Okay there are your arty farty types, but its a 50-50 split between music and arts!  Its to be expected.  Its no more Hunter welly, Henry and Henrietta than Glasto where many are purely there to get a badge of honour.  Latitude is a very family friendly set up but at the same time delivers alot of what people want. I view it as Glasto's younger sister!  Its got music, but also debates, theatre and art.  You go where you want and see what you want without worrying about being hit with a flying cup of piss if you're at the front of the stage!

If you're after a brilliant music line up fun of Marque acts.  Not for you.  If you want to rave all day and night - not for you.  If you want something with a bit of each and don't give a fluck about massive headliners - its for you.  The music stops around midnight, but the woods come alive til 3am and the Comedy & Cabaret tents are going til then too.

The site is very sizeable.  Walking from the main arena entrance to the Camper-van field generally takes about 15 - 20 mins depending on how much booze you've had! Google Latitude aerial shots and see from above.

It is an arena system where only small bottles of sealed pop are allowed in (not that this stops booze being sneaked in) but in the camp sites you can take in what you want.

The only look out for me is use the lockers especially on the first night.  The guy in the tent next to me got his wallet pinched last year while he was in his tent and was told he was one of about 18 on the first night.  No reports after that of other thefts.  With the rep being middle class and tickets usually not selling out, the opportunity for arseholes to tent hop is fairly high.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for answering, at at length my questions. @Smeble, @bluedaze and @fluff1964, for some reason I can;t tag you.

I think we are about to book, very exciting. Apart from local festivals I've only ever done V and Glastonbury (yes opposite ends of the spectrum) , but 30+ of them if I addd V and Glastonbury together , so really looking forward to trying something different - time now to book the ferry, and grab tickets

Does the arena open on Thursday ? the dates say 12th - 15th, or is it just campervan/camping that opens on the Thursday ?

FF

xx

25 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Thanks everyone for answering, at at length my questions. @Smeble, @bluedaze and @fluff1964, for some reason I can;t tag you.

I think we are about to book, very exciting. Apart from local festivals I've only ever done V and Glastonbury (yes opposite ends of the spectrum) , but 30+ of them if I addd V and Glastonbury together , so really looking forward to trying something different - time now to book the ferry, and grab tickets

Does the arena open on Thursday ? the dates say 12th - 15th, or is it just campervan/camping that opens on the Thursday ?

FF

xx

Yeah the arena is open on Thursday. Its a good time to have a wander around and get your bearings ready for the weekend ahead.

18 hours ago, suttttttt said:

Yeah the arena is open on Thursday. Its a good time to have a wander around and get your bearings ready for the weekend ahead.

definitely get there for Thursday if at all possible... not just for the wandering and bearings finding but (and whisper it quietly), Latitude is usually blessed with good weather and so drinking beer in the sunshine. What could be better.!?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

definitely get there for Thursday if at all possible... not just for the wandering and bearings finding but (and whisper it quietly), Latitude is usually blessed with good weather and so drinking beer in the sunshine. What could be better.!?

Drinks other than beer seem to go down quite well in the sunshine there.  Sometimes a little too well (or at least easily)!

4 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Its looks like its happening - all the gang are onboard . Very excited about trying a new festival in lieu of Glastonbury :-)

Getting the boat on Wednesday over so will take Thursday to travel up and traffic being kind we will be able to come onsite on Thursday. I'm afraid I may bombard this forum with questions now :-) to which I apologise in advance

Is there any music on Thursday - Dj's etc ?

After hours what is there to do - any cheesy music area;s lol .... always love a bit of cheese once we've had a few beverages :-)

15 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Its looks like its happening - all the gang are onboard . Very excited about trying a new festival in lieu of Glastonbury :-)

Getting the boat on Wednesday over so will take Thursday to travel up and traffic being kind we will be able to come onsite on Thursday. I'm afraid I may bombard this forum with questions now :-) to which I apologise in advance

Is there any music on Thursday - Dj's etc ?

After hours what is there to do - any cheesy music area;s lol .... always love a bit of cheese once we've had a few beverages :-)

Don't know about the cheese, but Pandora's playground, the Faraway Forest and the Cabaret tent have provided plenty of alternative entertainment over the years. Who doesn't love to see four half naked people dressed only in tinfoil taping bits of tree to themselves in the middle of the night.:O

16 hours ago, TheGoodOldDays said:

Hi! First time at latitude this year, how far is the car park to the camping area? And how long does it take to get through the gates on Thursday morning usually? Cheers :) 

Simple answer is not far and not long!

Depending on where you camp (and we usually go in green camping which is furthest from the arena but quieter) it can be anything from 2 minutes to 15 minutes walk. As for getting thru the gates, we usually pitch up later on the Thursday but we've never had to queue more than half-an-hour, usually less. Its all v. relaxed, especially now that they've solved the traffic problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cat Man said:

Don't know about the cheese, but Pandora's playground, the Faraway Forest and the Cabaret tent have provided plenty of alternative entertainment over the years. Who doesn't love to see four half naked people dressed only in tinfoil taping bits of tree to themselves in the middle of the night.:O

Sounds perfect :-) .... love the random stuff

Has anyone here take a campervan to Latitude please

Van is hired , its exactly 7metres (6 berth)  - now not sure whether to get a van ticket for up to 7 metres and be the big van or go over 7 metres and be with the massive big winebegos ..... how strict are they in the cv fields? And does anyone have any guidance ?

Many thanks

FFxx