Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

3 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

When he played a couple of years ago he mentioned he used to attend Latitude with his family, so it definitely holds a place in his heart.

Would be a bit indifferent if he's announced tbh. He's quite good live but very static. 

Very true, but Latitude have a thing for bringing back artists year in year out (alt-j), weird to think Mogwai headlined the first ever latitude and 11 years on and he still manages to hit the top lines of stages

Edited by Ellioott
Accidentally pressed reply

Jeez, Mogwai headlined a few years ago and so did Jon Hopkins, they must of done an worldie performance that year to be playing again at headline stage of the radio tent, thoroughly believe that tent could have some stronger acts, don't get me wrong I like Jon Hopkins and his new hits but I don't understand Mogwai 

10 hours ago, Ellioott said:

Jeez, Mogwai headlined a few years ago and so did Jon Hopkins, they must of done an worldie performance that year to be playing again at headline stage of the radio tent, thoroughly believe that tent could have some stronger acts, don't get me wrong I like Jon Hopkins and his new hits but I don't understand Mogwai 

What’s not to understand? They’re a popular, established band big enough and best suited for that slot. They play opposite The Killers and offer an alternative for people not bothered about seeing The Killers.

George Ezra or Bastille would certainly please the Missus. Personally I'm already pretty happy with the lineup, but 2 or 3 more nice additions, particularly on the Obelisk, would be the icing on the cake. There's a few really long shots I'm still holding out for - The Kills; Deap Vally; Mazzy Star; MBV - but I'm not holding my breath.

Notice there's been an unofficial' legends' slot on the Obelisk over the last few years- JJ Cale last year and Geldof a few years back. Can't see anyone announced yet who fits that bill so anyone hazard a guess as to who we might see?

On 22/03/2018 at 12:44 PM, rseamer said:

I always wonder when people complain that a line up is weak / poor - do they mean the quality isn't there or just that they haven't heard of the acts?

There's been lots of quality announced. I tend to look at the undercard of festivals as much as the headliners (the headliners of tomorrow....). This year I'm excited for Gang Of Youths, Black Honey, Superorganism, Hannah Peel, Naaz, Aemak, Jade Bird, Whenyoung, Confidence Man for starters....

Half the fun of Latitude is discovering new acts, not just music either but right across the board. You're right in that people have a tendency to dismiss stuff out of hand just because they haven't heard the name before. That's a really negative way to be. i'd urge anyone going for the first time to plant yourselves dowm with a bevvy on the Sunrise Arena or the Introducing Stage and just see what happens.

16 hours ago, Ellioott said:

I can't bare this Mogwai negativity. They're amazing. To be honest, this time last year I'd never even heard of them, but after being blown away by their headline performance at Fest No 6 I became a fan, this lead to me travelling to Glasgow to see them again in December because I was that impressed. They're mint man!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, betharm said:

I can't bare this Mogwai negativity. They're amazing. To be honest, this time last year I'd never even heard of them, but after being blown away by their headline performance at Fest No 6 I became a fan, this lead to me travelling to Glasgow to see them again in December because I was that impressed. They're mint man!

Sorry for my negativity, I have never heard of them before I have given them a listen and my opinion still stands, there is a big difference between digital and live songs so I'm looking forward to be surprised! Guess you can't really judge a band or artist until you've really seen them live, thanks for the info ^_^

This is probably ALL hyperbole (known what Mr Benn is like), but this blog by Melvin has a few interesting titbits :

https://www.latitudefestival.com/news/latitude-life

Specifically, the redesign of the comedy & speakeasy stages. Tents are gone! Something bespoke is in its place. Also, an acknowledgement that the food at the 'tude has bee dogshit (im paraphrasing). So.....thats nice.

Hammocks are bullshit though....

On 3/29/2018 at 2:25 PM, retromoz said:

This is probably ALL hyperbole (known what Mr Benn is like), but this blog by Melvin has a few interesting titbits :

https://www.latitudefestival.com/news/latitude-life

Specifically, the redesign of the comedy & speakeasy stages. Tents are gone! Something bespoke is in its place. Also, an acknowledgement that the food at the 'tude has bee dogshit (im paraphrasing). So.....thats nice.

Hammocks are bullshit though....

Yeah i'm interested to see the these new structures, maybe they are real foundation structures maybe, looking forward to see it perhaps. Hammocks will be nice but I can see people spending hours on them as I doubt they'll be masses of them available.

1 hour ago, suttttttt said:

Belle and Sebastian have been added to the Friday

Decent.

They headlined a few years back, so a good sub.

I saw them play The Troxy last month and they were on top form. They played songs from virtually all periods of their career and even threw in the rarely played Lazy Line Painter Jane (my favourite B&S song) as part of the encore.

4 hours ago, suttttttt said:

Decent booking, but weren't Wolf Alice penciled in to sub on the Friday? I'd be really disappointed if WA were 3rd or lower on the Obelisk or subbing the tent... :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Decent booking, but weren't Wolf Alice penciled in to sub on the Friday? I'd be really disappointed if WA were 3rd or lower on the Obelisk or subbing the tent... :unsure:

They're on the Obelisk for sure. I think it was assumed Wolf Alice were on Friday because Rag'n'Bone Man can only do Sunday and The Vaccines have confirmed that they're doing Saturday. Now, looking at the lineup page, Rag'n'Bone Man is on the line below so he's probably 3rd down below Wolf Alice on the Sunday.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They're on the Obelisk for sure. I think it was assumed Wolf Alice were on Friday because Rag'n'Bone Man can only do Sunday and The Vaccines have confirmed that they're doing Saturday. Now, looking at the lineup page, Rag'n'Bone Man is on the line below so he's probably 3rd down below Wolf Alice on the Sunday.

Interesting. Sunday's suddenly looking pretty strong if that's the case, more like a Friday lineup from years past than the usual final day's fayre.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah think this makes most sense as Wolf Alice are in Spain at the beginning of the weekend. Wolf Alice into Alt J sounds pleasant to me.

2 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Interesting. Sunday's suddenly looking pretty strong if that's the case, more like a Friday lineup from years past than the usual final day's fayre.

Yeah it seems to be:

Friday: The Charlatans > Belle & Sebastian > Solange
Saturday: Jessie Ware > The Vaccines > The Killers
Sunday: Rag'n'Bone Man > Wolf Alice > alt-J

That Friday strikes me as bizarre. Particularly considering James are headlining the second stage that night. All the Solange day-ticketers will be 90's cats. :lol:

2 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Yeah think this makes most sense as Wolf Alice are in Spain at the beginning of the weekend. Wolf Alice into Alt J sounds pleasant to me.

Yeah and old J has that song with Ellie Roswell as well so that works out too. Unless she wants to clock off afterwards, which is fair.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah it seems to be:

Friday: The Charlatans > Belle & Sebastian > Solange
Saturday: Jessie Ware > The Vaccines > The Killers
Sunday: Rag'n'Bone Man > Wolf Alice > alt-J

That Friday strikes me as bizarre. Particularly considering James are headlining the second stage that night. All the Solange day-ticketers will be 90's cats. :lol:

Yeah and old J has that song with Ellie Roswell as well so that works out too. Unless she wants to clock off afterwards, which is fair.

V odd mix Friday for sure. The only good thing about it is there's no danger of peaking too soon- I'll hopefully have plenty of energy left for the Sat/Sun singalongs! B)

Sounds like they're doing the 'special guest slot' again this year from some social media posts which was on the Saturday so reckon we can probably expect someone in between Jessie Ware and The Vaccines.

Struggling to understand why they haven't given the day splits yet...

2 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Sounds like they're doing the 'special guest slot' again this year from some social media posts which was on the Saturday so reckon we can probably expect someone in between Jessie Ware and The Vaccines.

Struggling to understand why they haven't given the day splits yet...

Mmm, there's several oddities this year. I'm still hoping Robert Smith's gonna pop up at some point in the Killer's set, but it just sounds too good and too perfect (as cats?:wub:) to be true. I think I made the point before that we haven't seen a real 'legend'-type act announced either - like Boomtown Rats, Squeeze, JJ Cale etc in previous years. Strange also (somebody please explain this) is the total lack of rumoured acts on this site (forum excepted) so far. You do get the feeling something's being kept under wraps- I just hope it's a good something.

On 05/04/2018 at 9:56 AM, suttttttt said:

Huge addition for me. They were great when they headlined. Them on the Friday (probably folllowed by James), the killers Saturday and bits of wolf Alice, japandroids and alt-j (assuming educated guesswork on days and timings are right) on the Sunday is as good a set of headliners as I’ve had at Latitude. 

Approximately one billion percent more to my taste than last year.

• Like 1

Bilbao BBK which takes place over the same weekend as Latitude in Spain have just added My Bloody Valentine to their line up which I'm hoping adds a bit of weight to them being at Latitude. Also added KGATLW which would be a very welcomed addition. Think there tends to be a bit a crossover so fingers crossed!

Edited by suttttttt

23 hours ago, suttttttt said:

Bilbao BBK which takes place over the same weekend as Latitude in Spain have just added My Bloody Valentine to their line up which I'm hoping adds a bit of weight to them being at Latitude. Also added KGATLW which would be a very welcomed addition. Think there tends to be a bit a crossover so fingers crossed!

I SOOOO hope you're right. Its 30 years since I saw MBV live and they pretty much changed the entire way I thought about music right there and then. King Gizzard would be a great addition too if it happens.