Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

15 hours ago, gregory said:

2nd announcement tomorrow :) 

Squeaky bum time again

Read yesterday that Mazzy Star are getting back together and possibly announcing some European tour/festival dates. Perfect band for latitude i'm thinking

Edited by Cat Man

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, swelsbyuk said:

Was looking at this last night. In 2017 the initial music announcement was 1 March, with comedy around 27 March and more music at end of April.

With this in mind, I reckon we might get something shortly if they release something every month like last year. I'll guess end of next week prior to Easter.

Quite a decent guess, if I do say so myself. Now, fingers crossed it's a good 'un.

16 hours ago, Cat Man said:

There must surely be another, bigger announcement to come...

I wouldn't hold your breath unless you're expecting Duran Duran!  Knowing Melvyn Benn's idea of an exclusive, any other announcements will be some random arsed 'award winning' eastern European act youve never heard of or Duran Duran

there's still more music to come, INC special guest, so calm your jets. 

the 2nd announce is normally comedy/ arts based, but there was still a lot of music announced yesterday so instead of moaning why don't you listen to something new?  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Hawky said:

there's still more music to come, INC special guest, so calm your jets. 

the 2nd announce is normally comedy/ arts based, but there was still a lot of music announced yesterday so instead of moaning why don't you listen to something new?  :ph34r:

I always wonder when people complain that a line up is weak / poor - do they mean the quality isn't there or just that they haven't heard of the acts?

There's been lots of quality announced. I tend to look at the undercard of festivals as much as the headliners (the headliners of tomorrow....). This year I'm excited for Gang Of Youths, Black Honey, Superorganism, Hannah Peel, Naaz, Aemak, Jade Bird, Whenyoung, Confidence Man for starters....

• Like 1

I think half the problem is that they make announcements like this on Twitter/Instagram, which looks like only 10 new music acts are announced:

image.png.35f3489f2ebc04a08eb5389329c25d14.png

Reality is there are loads more added, but you have to dig for it. Bands like Francobollo and Husky Loops - who are excellent live - are great additions.

Not sure why they don't make it clearer. The lack of a single poster with every act on doesn't help. Well, I don't like it anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Latitude is never going to be anyone's picnic, music taste will be subjective! 

I perosnally believe there has been better years but again my opinion.

im not sure there will be a special guest like last year purely because Saturday was a take over day by GOTR, so they could have special guests, I'm doubtful of a special guest this year but I'm hopeful that there will be one!, someone like madness would be very fitting personally (possible Sunday act).

However, I judge artists upon tour dates and where they travel, if they are within U.K. or Europe then there is a chance of them performing as well as conveniently have the dates 12-15 July with no gigs. I still believe acts such as Circa Waves, Kaiser Chiefs, Stereophonics and everything everything could perform as they are free within latitude dates and are close bound (circa waves play at ipswich on 7th July)

analysing previous years, 2017 obelisk arena had 23 acts across the three days and there is currently 19 acts announced on that stage already, so a possibility of 3/4 acts to be announced yet who might perhaps take over acts such as vaccines and rag 'n' bone man- might be why they haven't released split day yet??? 

BBC music stage has been lack lustre this year, I'm 18 and I've heard of James, but Mogwai and Jon Hopkins? I've researched them and Mogwai and they don't seem to get the crowd pumping, I love an electric atmosphere like fatboy had last year. Regardless, 2017 BBC stage had 26 acts announced and this year only 17 has been announced, so there could be 9 acts to be released still, potentially making that tent slightly more appearing to my ears!

i do have confirmation that the World Cup final will be broadcasted live on the Sunday in the music and film arena, so who knows we might be all watching the footy instead of music if England goes that far (very unlikely!)

i will ask about special guests, maybe Ed Sheeran ?! There are still acts to be announced which could be anyone so don't loose faith just yet!

Unlikely to be Ed Sheeran, again.  He is on tour then, so will be in Sweden and Germany.  He's probably bored of Latitude anyway.

What about Snow Patrol?  New album, on tour until Friday 13th July, appeared as a special guest (or two of them did, with Ed Sheeran in 2015), perfect warm up material for The Killers.

Edited by ianlash

I believe ed sheeran was optimistic! snow patrol is a possibility , especially seeing other acts are performing there also, what a Saturday that would be! 

dont believe wolf alice will be performing on the Saturday as they are confirmed to be in Mad Cool festival on 14th, and they play at NOS on the 12th, most likely performing on the Sunday?

After a gargantuan negotiation process (having already booked Bluedot, Bearded Theory and Long Division for this year and Shiiiiine On tbc) with my other half finally booked my first Latitude. Always fancied it but always seemed to clash with other stuff. Very happy with the line up.

Whats the general atmosphere like, particularly around kid friendliness (as taking my 2 year old)?

Basically...somebody tell me I've made the right decision!  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Whats the general atmosphere like, particularly around kid friendliness (as taking my 2 year old)?

Basically...somebody tell me I've made the right decision!  

Atmosphere is very relaxed. Kids area is great with plenty to do. Very kid friendly. Our son will be 4 next month and it will be his 5th Latitude this year and never had any issues at all. Nearest to a problem is when he has started to run off and an adult nearly knocks him over, happened a few times and every time the adult is very apologetic, no suggestion that shouldn't have a kid their or should look after him better. Will get you talking to other people too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jamesrfisher said:

Atmosphere is very relaxed. Kids area is great with plenty to do. Very kid friendly. Our son will be 4 next month and it will be his 5th Latitude this year and never had any issues at all. Nearest to a problem is when he has started to run off and an adult nearly knocks him over, happened a few times and every time the adult is very apologetic, no suggestion that shouldn't have a kid their or should look after him better. Will get you talking to other people too.

Excellent stuff...thanks very much!  

2 hours ago, Ellioott said:

Bastille would be an option, might good option too! 

If there was any act it would be George Ezra, with a new album and a space from 12-15 July with nearby festivals in the U.K. around the date, possibility perhaps?

When he played a couple of years ago he mentioned he used to attend Latitude with his family, so it definitely holds a place in his heart.

Would be a bit indifferent if he's announced tbh. He's quite good live but very static.