Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

3 hours ago, Cat Man said:

I'm intrigued as to why you rejected Wolf Alice given what you say about the Killers and The Vaccines? Strongly suggest you give both albums a proper listen!

I think my problem is I'm not a fan of rock/indie bands with female vocalists... I don't know why, because I like female groups and soloists. I'll definitely give them another listen between now and July, regardless! I've made a playlist with most of the acts on it. Quite liked Gang of Youths, and didn't realise how many James songs I knew. Just realised I haven't put any Solange on my list, I really should!

On 12/02/2018 at 2:52 PM, Smeble said:

What ‘calibre’ of people are you referring to that can’t posibly like the killers and rag n bone man whilst being nice people?

Sorry, I'm well aware of how elitist that came across. I obviously don't mean everyone. I'm just upset about just how much the festival has changed.

Unfortunately booking bands like the Killers - invites more, well, 'normal' people. And normal people aren't terribly musically curious, and much more prone to chatting through the show, pushing to the front, shouting stupid phrases across the camp site, etc. This is even more of an issue with the more radio-friendly acts.

I am just being a grumpy bastard of course, and I have no issues with festivals catering for that audience. I just wish Latitude hadn't changed so much. It's kind of opposite to what they originally stood for.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

I think my problem is I'm not a fan of rock/indie bands with female vocalists... I don't know why, because I like female groups and soloists. I'll definitely give them another listen between now and July, regardless! I've made a playlist with most of the acts on it. Quite liked Gang of Youths, and didn't realise how many James songs I knew. Just realised I haven't put any Solange on my list, I really should!

Thing with WA is that their sound is pretty diverse. If you listen to both albums in their entirety I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something you didn't like. Speaking personally, I went thru my late teens with bands like Sonic Youth, Pixies/Breeders, MBV, ThrowIng Muses, Hole etc etc and think there's a special kind of chemistry you get when you have both sexes in a band together. I've also developed a theory over the years that female indie songwriters bring something very different to the mix that's hard to define. If you listen to Kim Gordon's lyrics, or Courtney Love, there's a really barbed kind of wit there that a lot of male indie bands lack. Try listening to Goat Girl if you want a more contemporary example of what I'm talking about. Of course I'm talking in generalisms here and there will always been the exception that proves the rule.

5 minutes ago, FlaviusMaximus said:

Sorry, I'm well aware of how elitist that came across. I obviously don't mean everyone. I'm just upset about just how much the festival has changed.

Unfortunately booking bands like the Killers - invites more, well, 'normal' people. And normal people aren't terribly musically curious, and much more prone to chatting through the show, pushing to the front, shouting stupid phrases across the camp site, etc. This is even more of an issue with the more radio-friendly acts.

I am just being a grumpy bastard of course, and I have no issues with festivals catering for that audience. I just wish Latitude hadn't changed so much. It's kind of opposite to what they originally stood for.

I kind of see where your coming from, but I have to disagree about the Killers. I don't mind admitting I'm in my fifties now and I've been into everything from Swans through to Kyuss, Portishead, Mogwai, Interpol etc etc. But I still maintain that the first 5 songs on Hot Fuss are among the finest indie tracks ever laid down. No surprise they've never been able to hit those heights again.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Thing with WA is that their sound is pretty diverse. If you listen to both albums in their entirety I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something you didn't like. Speaking personally, I went thru my late teens with bands like Sonic Youth, Pixies/Breeders, MBV, ThrowIng Muses, Hole etc etc and think there's a special kind of chemistry you get when you have both sexes in a band together. I've also developed a theory over the years that female indie songwriters bring something very different to the mix that's hard to define. If you listen to Kim Gordon's lyrics, or Courtney Love, there's a really barbed kind of wit there that a lot of male indie bands lack. Try listening to Goat Girl if you want a more contemporary example of what I'm talking about. Of course I'm talking in generalisms here and there will always been the exception that proves the rule.

My favourite song lyric of all time:

"If YOU'RE SO SPECIAL, WHY AREN'T YOU DEAD? - Kim Deal, Breeders (from, "I just Wanna Get Along") B)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So unless the other festivals pull out some surprises, is this the best camping festival in the UK this year? Reading/Leeds, IoW, Download, and Bestival all look pretty lame.

it might be, End of the Road looks very tempting though

I am struggling to find a festival this year, decided on not going abroad for some reason

1 hour ago, Cat Man said:

Oh I just had to like that comment!:rofl:

But seriously, though, its not a bad idea if yur offering?

you had best get a double sedan chair... i am at the wrong end of my fifties...

tbh, it is one of the things that makes Latitude appeal... it is so easy to get about.. Glastonbury (particularly a muddy one) kills my dodgy old knees..

after a few years of Glastonbury, when i first attended Latitude(2013) i couldnt believe that they would have grandstands around the main arena.. ("how fecking middle class..")... but now i love it on a sunny late morning, with a newspaper and a pint, sitting up the back watching a early bands...

Heading to Bearded Theory this year for the first time (as a Glastonbury replacement) and that is even smaller.... I will be able to get away with just the zimmer frame.!

• Like 1

Does anyone know why the day line-ups still haven't been announced? The last time I did a full weekend was 2014 and since then I have done day tickets only. I've never known the tickets to go on sale without the splits being confirmed.

Re James, I missed them in 2014 because I wasn't awake in time for the rearranged midday slot, so really looking forward to seeing them this time. But I was also surprised to see them named as a headliner.

5 minutes ago, Raindow Rhythms said:

Does anyone know why the day line-ups still haven't been announced? The last time I did a full weekend was 2014 and since then I have done day tickets only. I've never known the tickets to go on sale without the splits being confirmed.

Re James, I missed them in 2014 because I wasn't awake in time for the rearranged midday slot, so really looking forward to seeing them this time. But I was also surprised to see them named as a headliner.

It could be that Latitude would prefer weekend sales than day only..?? you are likely to get more ancilliary spend from a weekend dweller (booze, food, merch)

with it being The Killers, people will just want a ticket regardless... If you can get a weekend one now it save the angst of trying for a limited number of day tickets.?

4 minutes ago, neil_clarky said:

quite tempted by Latitude this year, does anyone know when will tickets sell out? When did they go last year?

Weekend didn't sell out last year or the year before as far as I'm aware. Only Saturday tickets sold out last year.

I think you will be safe for a while.

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

you had best get a double sedan chair... i am at the wrong end of my fifties...

tbh, it is one of the things that makes Latitude appeal... it is so easy to get about.. Glastonbury (particularly a muddy one) kills my dodgy old knees..

after a few years of Glastonbury, when i first attended Latitude(2013) i couldnt believe that they would have grandstands around the main arena.. ("how fecking middle class..")... but now i love it on a sunny late morning, with a newspaper and a pint, sitting up the back watching a early bands...

Heading to Bearded Theory this year for the first time (as a Glastonbury replacement) and that is even smaller.... I will be able to get away with just the zimmer frame.!

Priceless.

To my eternal shame and frustration I've never succeeded in getting Glasto tickets despite multiple tries. Might make another concerted effort next year maybe. In the meantime Latitude's been a fantastic sub over the years. I'll confess I've tried sitting in that grandstand a couple of times but always get fidgety and end up back down on the grass (not enough knee room for me arthritic joints)!

Just checked out Bearded Theory BTW and there's two or three real gems on that lineup. Looks interesting. Do you know anyone who's been?

58 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

It could be that Latitude would prefer weekend sales than day only..?? you are likely to get more ancilliary spend from a weekend dweller (booze, food, merch)

with it being The Killers, people will just want a ticket regardless... If you can get a weekend one now it save the angst of trying for a limited number of day tickets.?

Yes if you're only interested in the headliner it's fine, but I'm really there for the undercard.

For some reason Friday always ends up being the best day for me, so I've taken a chance on that.

11 minutes ago, Raindow Rhythms said:

Yes if you're only interested in the headliner it's fine, but I'm really there for the undercard.

For some reason Friday always ends up being the best day for me, so I've taken a chance on that.

i  think a large percentage of ticket sales are based on headliners... and their popularity..

agree that a great undercard can make the festival for those that love their music more than for 'being there'... but Latitude have increased capacity to 40k and so they have a lot of tickets to shift..

and to be fair, The Killers look like the perfect ticket shifters for this festival..I think it is a great booking..

22 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

i  think a large percentage of ticket sales are based on headliners... and their popularity..

agree that a great undercard can make the festival for those that love their music more than for 'being there'... but Latitude have increased capacity to 40k and so they have a lot of tickets to shift..

and to be fair, The Killers look like the perfect ticket shifters for this festival..I think it is a great booking..

Definitely.

46 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Priceless.

To my eternal shame and frustration I've never succeeded in getting Glasto tickets despite multiple tries. Might make another concerted effort next year maybe. In the meantime Latitude's been a fantastic sub over the years. I'll confess I've tried sitting in that grandstand a couple of times but always get fidgety and end up back down on the grass (not enough knee room for me arthritic joints)!

Just checked out Bearded Theory BTW and there's two or three real gems on that lineup. Looks interesting. Do you know anyone who's been?

Ive loved going to Latitude. It has been a perfect contrast to Glastonbury...

Last year was probably the most disappointing i have attended... I really didnt like the whole Mumfords take over thing (no alternative on BBC stage whilst they played...) but equally other things felt more commercial..

i am heartened by this early line-up but also by the news of a new 'street food' set up as the quality of food traders was dropping..

i dont know anyone who has been to Bearded Theory but it gets such great reviews for its independent vibe.. with some real interest in the line-up.

55 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Saturday day tickets sell out fairly quickly. 

17 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Ive loved going to Latitude. It has been a perfect contrast to Glastonbury...

Last year was probably the most disappointing i have attended... I really didnt like the whole Mumfords take over thing (no alternative on BBC stage whilst they played...) but equally other things felt more commercial..

i am heartened by this early line-up but also by the news of a new 'street food' set up as the quality of food traders was dropping..

i dont know anyone who has been to Bearded Theory but it gets such great reviews for its independent vibe.. with some real interest in the line-up.

I thought the same about last year's Latitude. the whole GOTR takeover thing left me cold, not least because of the arrogance that seemed to come with it. And there was just a different feel about the place: more "let's take the 4X4 for a "weekend in the country" and much less of an indie spirit than when I first started going. I'm rapidly losing faith in FR being motivated by anything other than money and I'm still worried what this year's "new look" is actually going to entail. I hate talking like this because, like you, I still have enormous affection for the place. It still has loads to offer, but I fear it won't end well.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

I thought the same about last year's Latitude. the whole GOTR takeover thing left me cold, not least because of the arrogance that seemed to come with it. And there was just a different feel about the place: more "let's take the 4X4 for a "weekend in the country" and much less of an indie spirit than when I first started going. I'm rapidly losing faith in FR being motivated by anything other than money and I'm still worried what this year's "new look" is actually going to entail. I hate talking like this because, like you, I still have enormous affection for the place. It still has loads to offer, but I fear it won't end well.

This sums up my feelings, fell in love with the place in 2010 and been back every year. The only positive of the GOTR nothing on the BBC stage was I found the rather wonderful Lowly in the Solas area and seen them twice since. But there was definitely part of the festival's soul missing compared to other years.

11 minutes ago, jamesrfisher said:

This sums up my feelings, fell in love with the place in 2010 and been back every year. The only positive of the GOTR nothing on the BBC stage was I found the rather wonderful Lowly in the Solas area and seen them twice since. But there was definitely part of the festival's soul missing compared to other years.

i sadly went and got a very tasty pizza and several pints of Hektors and sat like a grumpy old bastard (which i am) down in the main seating area...

I should have headed to Solas... i saw a couple of good acts there last year..