Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

22 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think overall its a good lineup, though I agree that Wolf Alice are a bigger deal than Solange and that billing makes little sense. The Killers balance that out though, huge booking for Latitude even if they are playing quite a few other places this summer. There’s certainly enough there that I’d have a good weekend as the undercard is quite appealing but none of the big names are that exciting for me. 

Aye, there's some cracking names on the undercard and The Killers are a hell of a strong booking. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they're the sort of band who have enough obvious hits/live polish that if you end up in the field, you'll at least tap your toe along.

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Seems to be going down pretty well on social media!

I think the music line up this year is quite strong, however the comedy line up is very weak. If it wasn't such an expensive weekend I would totally be down for it!(although would have been nice to see Lana/Chvrches/Florence in there too to make it that little bit stronger)

I agree regarding comedy but by the sounds of it there are many more announcements to come 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I predict that I'm not gonna be arsed about the headliners or much of the main stage, the comedians will be the same ones they always have, and the lower music stages are gonna be actually really quite strong but it turns out all the best acts clash.

Nailed this by the way. The lower stages are even stronger than I expected however.

2 hours ago, FlaviusMaximus said:

So I think they've balanced the lineup a bit better than in recent years, but the Latitude Festival I know and love is officially dead.

I used to describe Latitude as 'Glastonbury with the shitty pop removed'. Not sure I can say that anymore. 

Booking bands like the Killers and Rag N Bone Man changes the whole atmosphere of a festival. It invites a completely different calibre of people, who unfortunately are much less likely to be considerate of others - the very thing I used to go to Latitude to avoid.

What ‘calibre’ of people are you referring to that can’t posibly like the killers and rag n bone man whilst being nice people?

8 minutes ago, Smeble said:

What ‘calibre’ of people are you referring to that can’t posibly like the killers and rag n bone man whilst being nice people?

I can't speak for Rag n Bone man but I imagine Killers fans to be reasonably considerate (myself hopefully included!). I tidy up all my rubbish, don't get really drunk and share my cider! :)

You know what? If I was being hyper critical, I'd say the initial announcement is solid, but a lil unspectacular. And the headliners are not getting my juices going. However.....its kinda like last years general election result. After the previous one, you kinda expect the worst of disappointments. But, even though, I guess, technically, it's a loss, it FEELS like a win. 

2 hours ago, Hawky said:

I think it's cracking, me.

Yeah, pretty decent I reckon. Looking forward to the Killers and after that I agree the good stuff's on the undercard - Breeders, Wolf Alice, Mogwai, Alvvays, Black Honey. Bit surprised they've got alt-j back again so soon, particularly for a festival that always took pride in avoiding repeat headliners. That doesn't sit comfortably considering some of the other acts who could have stepped up to headline (Wolf Alice case in point).

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Is there a festival that we're worse at predicting than Latitude? Every year we all end up predicting the same 5 or 6 acts and at most one of them ends up headlining. 

Bestival, but that's because they have dumb headliners like Sean Paul and Missy Elliot 

I think this is a good line up. The Killers will shift tickets, Solange is an interesting choice as headliner (perhaps Latitude trying to ensure they can defend any lack of diversity arguments) albeit Wolf Alice or Rag N Bone Man could have easily filled the slot. Alt-J an odd choice considering they headlined so recently but they are very 'Latitude' imo. There's a strong undercard musically and very much my cup of tea. Suspect I'll have plenty of clashes this year.

Edit: Forgot to say that yay for 2 of the best Oz bands out there playing. Gang of Youths produced one of the finest albums of last year (Go Farther In Lightness) which hasn't had that much profile in the UK even although in their homeland it was an award winner / no.1 and Confidence Man for stupid dance moves and cartoon pop silliness. Both very different but both very good.

Edited by rseamer

On first glance it looks poor but on the whole there is quite a lot of good stuff there. Wolf Alice headlining over Solange would have made a lot more sense as everybody has already said, and if the Solange booking was them actively having a female act top the lineup then obviously Wolf Alive are female-fronted, anyway.

In terms of acts I'd want to see there's Solange, Wolf Alice, Parquet Courts, Mogwai, Jon Hopkins, Tune-Yards, Alvvays, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Superorganism and Octavian, and there are quite a few more on there that I've heard great things about but never listened to. So that's already 3 good headliners I'd want to see, one of the main stage subs and a decent selection of lower down acts.

I'm definitely not going because I'm at Mad Cool that weekend anyway but I think it's a decent start aside from the main stage headliners (including Solange in that because regardless of how good she is she's a tiny headliner).

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Totally. This is Latitude’s problem; headliners for the norms, undercard for the nerds.

Seems that Confidence Man are playing every tent in Britain thus far.

I know what you mean. Every year there's one headliner that grabs my attention but never more than that. Maybe that means I'm 90% nerd or something, but I guess there's not enough acts out there who are sufficiently 'leftfield' but also popular enough with the masses to guarantee shifting plenty of tickets. In other words the 'norm' headliners subsidise the 'nerd' undercard.

I’ve yet to find a festival to go to this year and after scanning the lineup some more I think I could make a decent weekend of this. Might be a last minute ‘fuck it’ and go kind of thing, but if all else fails I wouldn’t mind having this to fall back on, despite the pretty unspectacular headliners. 

Wonder if Latitude is gonna make booking former huge festival headliners on their way down a thing now after Mumfords last year and The Killers this year (and possibly more before that but cba looking). Not a bad booking policy for a festival of its size really, despite me not being interested in those two. 

Personally, for what its worth, I'm loving this year's initial line-up. It's got a great mix of headliner and undercard power. Lots of things to do as per usual and after missing last year's for Benicassim I, for one, cant wait to get back to the land of the pink sheep. 

P.S Would love to see sigrid/declan mckenna/ rex orange county added as well. 

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’ve yet to find a festival to go to this year and after scanning the lineup some more I think I could make a decent weekend of this. Might be a last minute ‘fuck it’ and go kind of thing, but if all else fails I wouldn’t mind having this to fall back on, despite the pretty unspectacular headliners. 

Wonder if Latitude is gonna make booking former huge festival headliners on their way down a thing now after Mumfords last year and The Killers this year (and possibly more before that but cba looking). Not a bad booking policy for a festival of its size really, despite me not being interested in those two. 

Yeah I was gonna say is this a new thing now for the Saturday headliner to be some shite huge household name to draw in a huge range of punters?

Can't wait for KoL next year.