Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I strongly disagree. Nevertheless, Latitude won’t turn into that for a multitude of reasons; some down to competition, most down to demographic.

i hope yur right and i actually believe you probably are. I admit I went a bit OTT with that previous comment, but for all its faults, Latitude-  like Glasto - is about diversity and long may it continue. That Longitude lineup's about as diverse as Donald Trump's contact list! In my dreams I'm wishing for Stormzy, Neil Young and NIN. It won't happen, but let's hope that we at least get a bunch of headliners with something important to say...

11 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

i hope yur right and i actually believe you probably are. I admit I went a bit OTT with that previous comment, but for all its faults, Latitude-  like Glasto - is about diversity and long may it continue. That Longitude lineup's about as diverse as Donald Trump's contact list! In my dreams I'm wishing for Stormzy, Neil Young and NIN. It won't happen, but let's hope that we at least get a bunch of headliners with something important to say...

i dont think you comments were OTT... If Latitude were to follow down the Longitude path it would finish it for me (and it sounds like you..) but absolutely make it for others...

There arent a multitude of reasons why it will or wont change. Just one. Money.

Its not a public service.

6 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

It's not though, if you check out Ibeyi then Travis Scott it'll sound very different.

They're two sides of the same coin anyway. Latitude is as diverse as Longitude really, in that it has little-to-no urban music styles and is mostly rock music, whereas Longitude is the opposite. Praising the diversity of one and condemning the other is daft.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's not though, if you check out Ibeyi then Travis Scott it'll sound very different.

They're two sides of the same coin anyway. Latitude is as diverse as Longitude really, in that it has little-to-no urban music styles and is mostly rock music, whereas Longitude is the opposite. Praising the diversity of one and condemning the other is daft.

Mostly rock music? Are we talking about the same festival?

4 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

I give you The 1975... They dont come much rockier than that.!

Look up 'Rock' in the dictionary (non urban) and i think you will find it says : 1975

i rest my case m'lud..

They don't come more rockier than The1975? Think I need to bow out of the conversation at this point before I start mentioning the likes of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Who, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Pixies etc etc.

7 hours ago, tomzsz said:

why is everyone so set on Bsstille ? they’re pretty boring live at festivals and there are for more exciting young British acts (such a s wolf alice) who have around the same age fan base andd would attract the same amount of fans and would (one is a ssuming) cost less than bastille

FAR FROM! If they are there, I hope it's not a headlining slot! I'm hoping for Sigur Ros or alt-J instead!

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

Mostly rock music? Are we talking about the same festival?

Rock as in the broadest of definitions, yeah. Where indie rock, folk rock, blues rock, etc. come under. Makes up 80% of the festival’s music, you must have noticed?

Just like urban music would be a very broad category but it’s the only thing that connects some of those artists on the Longitude line up - which is apparently not diverse enough.

Edited by dentalplan

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Rock as in the broadest of definitions, yeah. Where indie rock, folk rock, blues rock, etc. come under. Makes up 80% of the festival’s music, you must have noticed?

Just like urban music would be a very broad category but it’s the only thing that connects some of those artists on the Longitude line up - which is apparently not diverse enough.

Longitude need a bit of The Hiphopapotamus vs The Rhymenocerous....

their isn’t enough New Zealand rap there..!

51 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

They don't come more rockier than The1975? Think I need to bow out of the conversation at this point before I start mentioning the likes of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Who, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Pixies etc etc.

I think Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and The Who are all off of the 1975...? Physical Graffiti..?

the rest are off of the 1990s..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If the line-up contains a few rappers, the only one I'd like to see is Macklemore and De La Soul. Apart from that, I hope the WHOLE Latitude line-up is far from the Longitude line-up.

Edited by WMWMOfficial

What people are (deliberately? That stupid Trump comparison definitely makes me think that's the case) ignoring about Longitude is it was basically turning into that anyway. Largely due to Dublin's cultural makeup it's been attracting a much younger crowd and becoming more urban culture-mainstream as a result with success. In 2016 it was headlined by Kendrick Lamar and Major Lazer, with Run The Jewels, Tyler The Creator, Action Bronson and A$AP Ferg playing. Last year there may have been a Mumford & Sons curated stage but the other two headliners were the Weeknd and Stormzy, with Skepta, G-Eazy, Young Thug, Kaytranada, Gucci Mane, Earl Sweatshirt, Dua Lipa and Wiley high up the bill. They're just shifting further into what worked. Latitude is more high profile because of where it is and what country and media it covers, with a far bigger mainstream reach and a far more established demographic. They're not the same.

And yes, if you think Solange, Sampha and Migos, say, are exactly the same then by the same rule of thumb The 1975 are an indie rock band just like any other.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Oh well, I guess you'll be enjoying the rich broth of sonic diversity on offer in Ireland while I re-live my misspent youth headbanging to Katherine Jenkins in Southwold. Takes all sorts. (That hat really suits trent BTW)!;)

54 minutes ago, Music lover William said:

Anyone else get pre-announcement nerves? I always worry I've got my mind set on such a huge lineup that when it comes around I always feel let down 

I've been keeping up with this thread and my expectations are fairly low.  I'm hoping that I may be pleasantly surprised. 

Either way I'm looking forward to experiencing the festival for the first time and I'm always happy in a field.

At least we will have news tomorrow. I don't enjoy not knowing anything. 

1 hour ago, Miesh said:

I've been keeping up with this thread and my expectations are fairly low.  I'm hoping that I may be pleasantly surprised. 

Either way I'm looking forward to experiencing the festival for the first time and I'm always happy in a field.

At least we will have news tomorrow. I don't enjoy not knowing anything. 

I'll be honest, regardless of line-up, Latitude is fantastic.

Comedy/ Food/ Relaxed atmosphere/ good campsites. 

I love it. 

Even if Solange, Catfish and Bryan Ferry headline I'd still have a good time. (I love Solange, but she shouldn't headline)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hawky said:

I'll be honest, regardless of line-up, Latitude is fantastic.

Comedy/ Food/ Relaxed atmosphere/ good campsites. 

I love it. 

Even if Solange, Catfish and Bryan Ferry headline I'd still have a good time. (I love Solange, but she shouldn't headline)

That's good to read. Thank you :)