Camper van field hell

goldiegrey

Did anyone else stay in camper field? We were ushered o the bottom of the hill on arrival and knew instantly we would never get out of there!! It took two four wheel drives tied together to get us out. Unfortunately we left on Sunday as we knew we would never get the hired van out on time on Monday. Having a return time and all. I would love to know if people got out on Monday ok? I am gutted to have cut short the festival. Never had to do that before, I'm a veteran of KC. Been since the beginning when it was tiny, and lovely! So sad to say I don't think I will be back. We have done all methods of camping in all different fields before, in all different weather, inc deer lodge. Made a mistake this year bringing a van again. The most stressful festival I have ever been to this time! The walk of hell from camper field to arena took so long we kept missing everything. But what we did see was poor. Boring headliners with poor sound. And I would normally give plenty time to manics and stereophonics but yawn! Best stuff as usual was small lesser known bands. Best time was as always watching gypsies of Bohemia ! 

Agree pretty much with everything said

We told the young lass when we arrived that we wanted the top of the hill, but we had to go to the bottom

Got stuck parking up, a kind caravanner towed us to a "pitch" where we dug in

Tractor the towed us about 2 yards forward then buggered off, leaving us right next to a caravan who needed his awning out for his kids to sleep in, then two camper van rocked up right next to us and unloaded various tents and awnings

managed to persuade a different car park attendant that apart from anything else, there were major safety issues

eventually, more than 2 hours later, one of the site recovery 4x4's pulled us half way up the hill, and we were told we were staying there! on a diagonal slope of several degrees, sleeping was "interesting"

we too decided to bale out on the Sunday, thanks to several burly chaps & chapesses rocking the van we got to the "road" and off

I realize that this is the Lake District, and that nature isn't flat, BUT there was no organisation in the Live In field, (special mention to Chris, who bless him was doing his best to arrange towing vehicles)

It was just chaos from when we arrived, Thursday morning

We were woken at stupid o'clock on Sunday morning by a group of muppets hammering on the sides of vans, looking out of the window, after advising them to "Go Away", one of them was actually jumping on some poor bugger's caravan roof, his mates said "I think that wins for tonight" - there are separate wrist bands for Emperor's etc, why not Live-In?

Security was a joke, we saw one young lass wandering up and down the field, but that was about it

Have ordered next year's tickets on the payment plan, but, unless there are statements from KC regarding massive improvements, they will be going on e-bay

by the way, what was that ENORMOUS American beast parked at the top of the Hill, hope they didn't get bogged down

Rant over for now,

Tommy

Hey

we left Monday morning which wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. They had two tractors pulling people out. People started leaving at around 5am. Some people returned from the festival and then left. The raptor huge caravan made it out as we overtook it on the Monday.

the area was vile. I couldn't believe the amount of rubbish we saw left behind by the live in vechiles. The area was awful people defiantly taking up more space than allocated. People had gazebos and toilet tents.

i was hugely disappointed by Kendall and have wanted to go for years. Worst festival I have been to. I found that the areas for the stages had noise from the strongbow tent and WKD tent overpowering the acts at times. I pay money to listen to new acts, not that kind of music or sound from the Ferris wheel.

im pretty sad about how whole Festival lack of decorations and it just felt that they were pandering to the sponsorship rather than new acts.

Got in the field OK Friday am and got a slot pretty much at the top of the hill, but some others were getting stuck on the way in around us. No problems with mess, neighbours or general inconsideration, but then we were almost the furthest from the Arena end of the field.  Needed a tow out though on Monday. Got rolling but bogged down about 80 yards from the gate.

23 hours ago, gorfield said:

My husband resorted to bribery to get off the field and slipped a tractor driver 20 quid.

Why was a bribe necessary?

We waited until Sunday evening after the terrain had dried off considerably, before the predicted heavy rainfall and got off using as many of the unoccupied pitches possible rather than the aisles - no problem at all.

The lack of sufficient tracking over the field was negligent and the organisers could have faced a group action claim.

3 hours ago, gorfield said:

because our van was stuck at the bottom of the field 

That was clear from the first post when you stated that a tractor was needed to get off the field, what I questioned was - the bribing and the reason I questioned it was because the recovery vehicles( tractors, 4 wheel drives) had been employed by the festival organisers to help vans that were stuck all over the campervan field including the bottom. They were not asking for money from individuals that I saw from the owners of the 10 vehicles I observed being helped - the fact you didn't say you paid to be recovered but used the phrase resorted to bribery seemed unusual.

If I was stuck on the road and required the services of the AA I wouldn't feel the need to resort to bribery I'd ask them to help as part of the cover I have paid for, similar to asking a recovery tractor to help if needed.

I hope my question is clearer now.

I enjoyed it in the camper van field, got there thursday morning and had no issues. Had to get towed off from the tractor but that's part and parcel of the good old English weather. It happened at Glastonbury 2 years ago and happened here. 

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the festival, I had another great time and had no complaints. I'll be going back again next year for the third time :) 

Well there we have it, the bribe wasn't to get them out of the field, which would have happened anyway, this pair decided to pay to jump the queue because ' some of us have lives we needed to get back to' ' exactly'.

What a world we live in that individuals feel it is appropriate to behave in this selfish, self centred way. You probably give nothing to festivals and other areas of living in communities unless it directly benefits you. Interestingly you felt it appropriate also to mention it on here as if it was somehow a good thing to do.

mememememememe.

1 hour ago, Simon Anderson said:

Not to mention the fact that we continuously watched as people at the top of the field got pulled out by the tractors BEFORE lots of people at the bottom of the field including us who asked before them. So yeah we were selfish. But so were the tractor drivers who ignored everyone at the bottom of the field.

Doesn't that make a bit of sense though? 

If the tractor was driving up and down the field he'd make things even worse.

Inflammatory topic! I think it was just a bit mad and stressful trying to arrive and leave. My stress was down to the fact I hired the van and had a tight deadline to get out. We helped loads of people get vans on the field too on arrival day. I can see both sides of the story though. We were helped out in the end by a fellow camper who had a 4x4. Truly lovely people.

2 hours ago, goldiegrey said:

Inflammatory topic! I think it was just a bit mad and stressful trying to arrive and leave. My stress was down to the fact I hired the van and had a tight deadline to get out. We helped loads of people get vans on the field too on arrival day. I can see both sides of the story though. We were helped out in the end by a fellow camper who had a 4x4. Truly lovely people.

Was it a black land rover pickup?