Feedback on 2017 - good, bad, shite weather !

ramragon

All in all a great weekend I thought. It's tough with all the mud and I'm totally knackered. Makes you appreciate the good weather last year when there was grass :-)

The woods area goes from strength to strength. Lots of effort has gone in up there when you think back a few years.

After the headliners there is plenty to do now as well and the crowd thins out a bit.

Toilets were fine in my experience and they did what they could with the mud. They were chipping the front of the main stage in the early hours when we past.

Agree with ramrage on the Stereophonics crowd size. With the crowd and the mud the bar at the back was madness and quite possibly dangerous. 

The main arena bars might benefit from the airport style roped off lane queues. They did that at Trnsmt the other week where there were double the folk and you got served quicker.

Good move with the metal boards on the other side of the path through to calling out. Helped give folk space when the headliners were on but the sound over there was shite and way too quiet.

Huge sound bleed problems there too from Glow as someone already mentioned.

Fair play to them on selling out and no Glastonbury next year, no Wickerman etc will guarantee another sell out. Think they need to tread carefully with increasing capacity as mud is becoming the norm. How many more can the site cope with ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the weekend and saw some great bands but It felt like the access campsite wasn't as organised and the bad weather compounded it. I definitely struggled a lot more than previous years. 

We got to the site about 1.5hrs before we were parked because of a hold up, then there was no room in the accessible site to park because more people had turned up than expected, despite us arriving at about 2pm on the Thurs. We were parked in deer lodge, but it's a fair old treck with bad knees. They were doing golf buggy runs to help people down but that was a bottleneck in of itself. It also meant the buggies weren't available to run people in the arena, so a lot of people, especially those with wheelchairs just couldn't get into the arena and were missing bands. Then to top it all off, there was no onsite fridge for meds. Bah.

The weather itself never helps accessibility, but there was a thoroughfare to deer lodge this year, with no security on which made everything more boggy and meant there was often a queue for the accessible toilets. 

Plus points:
I really enjoyed the woodland area. I thought it'd be much less accessible than it was, but it was a really chilled out area. The new viewing platform was great and we managed to catch some great bands there. 
I haven't been a big fan of the Jagerhaus and Strongbow areas in previous years, but they seemed to play a bit more chilled music throughout the day which I enjoyed. 
I liked that there was a lot more seating on site this year
Range of food as decent even though there seemed to have been some price hikes
Real ale tents didn't seem as busy this year
Accessible toilets dotted around the arena that were clearly marked

Recommendations:
Check size of field to amount of people registered
Woodchipping 
Hard surface walkways
On site fridge
Closer water point and separation from deer lodge

Ahh, looking at that it looks like a right whinge and I did have plenty of highlights but I'm really unsure about going again. I think if that weekend was the first visit, I probably wouldn't have returned. 

3 hours ago, Crystal Waters said:

Getting in at around 3pm on Thursday took forever. We weren't searched but they were stopping other cars so that probably slowed things down a bit. A marshal near Deer Lodge apologised for a very long (40min) wait inside the site which was, allegedly, due to one person throwing a major hissy fit about having to pay to park somewhere. 

I might be wrong, but I think that was the guy in front of us (unless two people got on site and threw a fit). He was also in accessible camping and refused to park in deer lodge when he was told the accessible site was full. To be fair to him, we'd queued for well over an hour at that point, only to get near to the site and be told it was already full and we'd have to park a fair distance away from the tents - obviously not ideal for access camping, but by that point I was already drained and just wanted to be set up and take my meds.

Edited by neato

All in all I had a decent weekend, I wasn't staying on site, had a 4km walk to get in daily which wasnt as bad as it sounds, but i tended to do one trip in rather than my usual, in to arena for a bit then back to caravan to chill before heading back in.....

Bad points,

there seemed to be hardly any chippings put down this year when the arena could have really done with them, there were loads put down on the hills overlooking the main stage last year and the weather was lovely ! This year I saw a little bit sprinkled around the burger van next to the path at the top of the main stage.

The sound on the outskirts of the main stage was really poor, I stood close to the ice cream van just off the path next to the main stage when Jake Bugg was on and you couldn't even hear that anyone was on stage, couple that with sound from the wkd and dance stages and it made that area pointless. 

Good points

Thought the real ale tent was reasonably priced at 4 for £15

Food mostly good as usual but most prices pushed up a bit 

New garden of Eden expansion was good and definitely scope to do more down that area to drag the crowds in.

Layout was good as ever, however the place looked a lot fuller for acts like stereophonics, even with a decent alternative on in both calling out and dance tent.

For most part the crowds and people I met were really friendly. 

Like someone said earlier, next year there's no wickernan or Glastonbury so if they're gonna try and jump to the next level they've got the ideal opportunity, however there's got to be a decent 2nd stage as the tents can't cope with more than the current crowds and a good look at the overall layout needs to happen rather than just cram more people in

My first Kendal this year and will defo NOT be my last!
Been to a lot of different festivals round the UK and Australia and this was defiantly the best one I’ve been to for a while!
I think its such good value for money, I loved the diversity of the acts that were there and the little areas hidden away you could get lost in.
Highlights - definitely Stereophonics, Slaves, Tim Peaks Diner and the Lost Eden Area. I thought it was good to see the headliners on a smaller stage than what you usually see them on at the bigger festivals. I could see everything easily !
Great to have a Real Ale bar and other bars selling different drinks than your standard lager/cider – although that kraken bar was a bit weird for me (too much ginger ale!)
I didn’t come across too many bad toilets, and am a fan of festivals having compost loos , I personally think these work better at festivals ! More loos could be put into the arena though! Massive ques!
There are only a few things I think Kendal could improve on,
Get some railings round the main bar for a more free flowing que
Put more metal tracks down on the main walkways, the walkway from the campsite to the arena was ridiculous, more of the path between Calling out and Main stage would have been useful here.
Employ some firemarshalls and get some of the tall fire towers you get at every other festivals – makes the place feel a lot more safer!
Stick to your indycindy line up, don’t bother with Tiny Temper again!
Don’t f*ck It up like YNOT festival did this yr!
Other than that great festival , will be back and advising others to do the same!

Edited by amyg1990

Had a really good festival stayed in the Shire /family camping ( can't actually tell if they are the same place or different due to poor signage ) felt for people with little ones as partying went on till 2.30 one morning until security stepped and reminded them it was quiet/family ( they were a large group with no kids ) we have no kids so just meant pulling hat over ears lol. We arrived on Thursday 1pm and can't believe how fast it filled up.We had friends turned away on the Friday and sent back up to Tangerine fields as were lots of family's expecting a quiet area. 

Loved the prosecco van and cocktail van up in the woodland and enjoyed loads of smaller bands up there and the African Gospel Choir on the Sunday. The lighting experiences and the fire area were amazing and the Kraken Rum stage. 

Managed to get right in among it for Happy Mondays, Franz and Stereophonics and loved it but decided to stay on the bank for the majority of main stage acts. Couldn't get even near the Glow tent for Faithless or Example but wasn't that fussed as it's not my favourite venue.

Highlights of the weekend Gypsies of Bohemia,Happy Mondays,Strongbow yard for an afternoon chill and some of the brilliant comedians in soapbox ( although we quickly discovered of you wanted a seat you had to be there at least 45mins before it started). 

We hit lucky with the loos and found the food was a good mix and prices ok.

Will be getting tickets for next year but as others have said it is getting a bit too big for our liking. 

I will go again, the weather unfortunately ruined it for me, I have been to 30 festivals some sunny some muddy - some very muddy but this year I really was relying on it being relarively dry as I am 6 months pregnant. The site was exactly what I had dreaded.

Not the festival's fault though but it was very difficult for me when you are unable to sit down often because of the mud - and queuing for toilets etc.

in hindsight I shouldn't have gone really - it was too risky.

this country and its rubbish weather!!!

Food stalls were good though, I had some lovely food and the kraken bar will be used when i can drink next year!!

First time going since 2014:

The weather was a pain but there's not much the organisers can do there, could probably have done with some more wood chip around, although not sure if that would have helped on the banks. Did they drop some metal boards down the path on the right of the main stage Sunday? Helped somewhat as a path, not sure that would be a great place to see the main stage though.

The food was more hit and miss than previously, a couple of the stalls seemed to be too expensive and too slow, others were very good though. The second ale tent from 2014 has helped a lot with the beer it seems; good prices and was only busy for a little bit on Thursday (before the other one opened).

Not sure how practical it would be, but the campsites probably needed more staff on Thursday/Friday for new arrivals, simply to let them know where there's space (there were a couple of spaces around us that could have fitted a couple of decently sized tents, but since we were quite far in from the pathways, people will have taken one look and thought "that's packed then").

If they are going to continue with this number of tickets though, a rethink of the main area is needed. The main stage and glow tent really need bigger capacities, and with the likes of the Strongbow and WKD stages included there seem to be too many smaller stages around the place now. I doubt there is much room for expanding the area even more (as they would have probably done it already by now) but they really need the space. Perhaps they could expand into the wolf woods area and find space for more camping?

Seems very ranty, but I still had a cracking time and have signed up for next year's presale.

@neato yes your explanation about the hold up on Thurs pm seems reasonable to me. We were very close to the accessible camping area and I can imagine the problems you would all have had being parked in the Deer Lodge car park as we struggled (some walking issues but not registered disabled). The mud won't have helped you at all either. Full marks to all of you camped in that area for coping with the conditions.

Muggings here paid 8 quid for a small plate of pesto pasta. Fair enough it was for the little one, but still. Couldn't believe the size of the queues for it, they must make a fortune.

Other than that, the other meals were ace.  Had Chicken Katsu for 8 quid, which I thought wasn't too bad for the size portion. 9.50 for the big mixed tray from the Tibetan place, and a tenner for a megabox at the fried chicken place near chai wallahs that filled two of us up.

On 31 July 2017 at 1:55 PM, ramragon said:

Main stage was as busy for the stereophonics as it was for snoop the other year and that was with a crammed dance tent offering example and faithless dj sets at a similar time. Definitely the biggest crowds I've seen there and something to look at if they're increasing it next year

Really? I was down near the left hand screen close to the bar and there were loads of gaps. In fact I was dancing like a loon and didn't really need to push through the crowd to get to the bar so it can't have been that rammed.

59 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Really? I was down near the left hand screen close to the bar and there were loads of gaps. In fact I was dancing like a loon and didn't really need to push through the crowd to get to the bar so it can't have been that rammed.

Maybes just the perception it gave, I was over the right hand side of the stage just off the path and the crowd went well back past me towards the dance tent. If there were a few gaps closer to the front you couldn't tell from where we were 

53 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

We stand in the same place every year between the accessible platform and the food stalls at the end of the mainstage bar. What was noticeable from our vantage point for all the acts we saw was that there was massively more crowds on the right near the path than our side.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

We quickly learned that the left side wasn't that busy all weekend. Looking from further back it's really hard to see these pockets of space. 

Good -

• Sunday's afternoon bill (Slaves, Seasick Steve, Frank Turner) who all at least tried to entertain the crowd, rather than plodding through the motions
  • Mexrrissey - as good as I hoped a Mexican Morrissey act would be
  • Cabbage - making a racket in the House Party tent 
  • Reverend and the Makers - at least they tried etc etc
  • Happy Mondays - excellent
  • Gandhi's Flipflop thali, delicious 
  • Art and stuff in the Woodlands
  • Being able to drive straight off site on Monday (it was 2:30pm mind!)
  • Food, some beer, gin bar, deep fried houllumi in a brioche bun, friends, family

Bad -

• Stereophonics (plodding), Manics (ditto - gave up after 4 songs and went to the Woodlands), Brian Wilson (Beach Boys greatest hits would have been fantastic, but that was just a bore fest)
  • The Coral - should be in the good list but as others have said Calling Out tent is way too small for a headliner like them - what I heard was excellent 
  • Sound on the main stage - if you stood left or right on the periphery of the speakers it was way too quiet 
  • Feeder - really looking forward to see them but they were just ordinary 
  • Not seeing nearly enough - too knackered cos of the trudges through the mud. 
  • Bringing far too much stuff, and then having to take it all back up the hill again yesterday (6 round trips -,sick of my life!)
  • Kids having a go at each other. My kids I mean, doing my head in!
  • The astonishing amount of abandoned tents, air beds, gazebos, camping chairs (rehomed a few of these mind!), full beer cans (Carlsberg, left it!), and general mess - humans are filthy creatures 
  • Lack of dark beers with a bit of flavour in the Real Ale tents

Weather 

• 4 seasons in half an hour, let alone one day. Mud got me seriously down. Friggin rain. Waterproof jacket being anything but. Water and mud and god knows what getting into the tent

Still enjoyed it though!

This is my review as posted on the KC Facebook page. Posting here in the hopes someone from the festival will actually read it!

My 4th year at KC but I have to say it will sadly be my last.

We had a good time overall. The lineup this year was great and the extended choice of bars (Argentinian& German wine, cocktails and cava/prosecco) were welcome additions to the previous offer.
Especially loved Stereophonics, Manics, Seasick Steve, Molly Warburton, The Indigo Project & Tony 'Longfella' Walsh.
As ever we did meet some great people around and about the site. The music and the people are what make or break the festival! 

Portaloos in Emperors and by Emperors entrance were generally in good condition all weekend. Can't comment on the others as didn't use.
Not much you can do about the weather but more bark chipped areas might have helped. I felt sorry for the mobility impaired festival goers struggling through the quagmire.
However it was obvious that the capacity had been increased. Miss Polly's toilets had massively oversold their passes and the toilets weren't much better than the standard ones, overrun most of weekend, with big queues and a poor standard of cleanliness. Arena felt cramped. 

We camped in Emperor's as in previous years, however I feel that the crowd and the vibe has changed both around the arena and in the campsite. We were subjected to our neighbours in Emperors urinating on tents (their own and on one of our party's) and one in particular weeing in his own mouth much to his friends' amusement while we were having a drink and BBQ in broad daylight. Disgusting behaviour. People crashing into our tents at 5.30am. These were not even 'kids' but aged 30+ like ourselves. You would have expected them to be toilet trained by now.

Wristbands not checked properly when arena emptying after main acts closed. Not necessarily the security guy's fault as he was on his own and it was a monumental task, but more security in general would have been welcomed on our campsite.

Overall there was a noticeable lack of respect from many for fellow festival-goers, and for the natural environment of the site (for instance idiots swinging on the ancient trees in the arena and leaving their rubbish all over)

Unfortunately I think that KC has become, or will soon become, a victim of its own popularity and all good things must come to an end. Previously there was a friendly respectful vibe and this year was more akin to what I'd expect to find at V or Leeds. Regrettably we will be looking for something different for next year.

Stereophonics got the biggest crowd seen in the fields....according to kendal calling.

Getting in early and getting a spot down the front left is the way to do it. Majority of crowd coming in are coming over from camping, calling out, glow and just see it looks rammed in the middle so stop and watch from first available spot. Way too muddy to risk fighting your way through.

Good

Manics, Slaves, Denise Johnson, Seasick Steve, Tim Peaks generally, Salford Jets, meeting up with lovely people we met in previous years, nice friendly neighbours all around us in Deer Lodge.

Bad

Main stage sound was poor again. If you're in line with the stage and thus between the large banks of speakers it's not too bad. However, up on Old Gits' Hill (either side of the sound tent and disabled platform) it's muffled. Deer Lodge was the muddiest part of the entire site. Also, the Deer Lodge & Emperors catering and other facilities were poorer this year - not that lack of a hair-drying tent made much difference to me as a balding middle-aged man but the others in my party missed it. I agree with those who say they could have done more to tackle the worst muddy areas.

Verdict

All ready to buy next year's tickets when they go on sale next week.

Edited by RossendaleR

My 9th Kendal Calling....

As with the previous 3 visits, we were in Deer Lodge. Booked a Yurt this time which is further from the car but arrived earlyish on the Thursday so mud wasn't too bad taking stuff up to the digs. 

Thursday, enjoyed The Shimmer Band, Happy Mondays & FF. Friday, some more friends arrived & were parked right up near the entrance gate as they were told Deer Lodge was full. A quick look around & I seen dozens of spaces. Then they said conditions weren't great to let people down but he was in a Land Rover so eventually they let him down. 

Heading up to the arenas, it was clear that Adlib had problems getting the sound right on Friday (& Saturday). We were slightly on the incline, stood on the path. Jake Bugg & Stereophonics was barely audible but still had a good night with lots of various stage visits well into the early hours. 

Overall, Kendal are at a make or break stage. Do they peg the capacity to keep it close to what is has been or continue the expansion ? Glow & Calling Out tents are just too small now & same could almost be said of Soapbox & Riot Jazz. The idea of a second outdoor stage would be great though & somewhere between Jagerhaus & Riot Jazz would be great. 

Food & drinks prices are standard & certainly competitive amongst other festivals. I go to 3-4 festivals every year & those complaining about organisation & mud want to see some of the other "well known" festivals & how they cope in similar conditions. A quick look at Y Not's debacle shows what could have happened & I'm just glad we got to see the end of KC2017. 

So, I'll be back in 2018 - this time with a Motorhome. As with all festivals I attend, I'll be as prepared as I can be so if I need to get out of the mud, I'll have as many tools to help as possible & if that's not enough, I'll be patient & appreciative of the help given. 

Overall, not my favourite Kendal Calling by any stretch but that's purely down to the weather. Similar weather to 2016 & we'd all be feeling a little better about the whole thing.