Glastonbury tattoo - help needed

rex

FB_IMG_1501431647926.jpg.0fbcc910b1bc8e8c4ce918e44f574cd1.jpgHaha, quite sure thank you. I'm currently wearing the last THREE. At one point previously, I was wearing SIX consecutive ones. (Would you like a letter of permission from my mum? lol)

Apart from coming up with the original idea, I don't think there's much left to think about.  The basic design should be straightforward - just copy the font and format from a previous wristband and pick whichever colours will look best as a tattoo.  Once you've got the main text in, you'll only have enough room left for one or two logos.  You'll want to play on the fact that it's a non-existent festival, so you could go for something like a flying pig.  And find something to replace the word 'contemporary' in the main text - e.g. 'imaginary'.

I'm not a tattoo person, but I think it's a brilliant idea, providing you can find an artist talented enough to do it well.  I wouldn't have posted about it online though - better to keep it as a surprise for anyone who spots it.

I'm not sure that you want my opinion but you've posted on a public forum so I'm giving it to you anyway.  If I were to get a wristband tattoo, I'd pick the wristband of my favourite year rather than a year when the festival isn't going to happen.

Your idea sounds like it might be a good one (because you can make it to your own design) but how many times throughout the rest of your life are you going to have to say "yes, I know it wasn't on that year, this is a sign of my love for the festival (and an increasing dislike of ever-aging fabric wristbands); I'm not an idiot!"

3 hours ago, rex said:

FB_IMG_1501431647926.jpg.0fbcc910b1bc8e8c4ce918e44f574cd1.jpgHaha, quite sure thank you. I'm currently wearing the last THREE. At one point previously, I was wearing SIX consecutive ones. (Would you like a letter of permission from my mum? lol)

Struth I've got over 30 festival and friendship bands that NEVER come off unless I'm going under the knife.. 

I love my bands as to me there reminders of 

A the good times I've had with wifey and 

B to me personally it's a YOU DID IT...... This second reason is important to me as some of you will know why if you've read my posts or have met me. 

I could think of better Glastonbury tattoos to get tbh 

ps ,  i wouldn't design it yourself,

go find a tattoo artist who's style you like and who has  catolog of work you know is their own. then speak to them tell them what you want, let them come at you with designs. you are paying them not just for the tattoo but the design. let them do it then you can always say no or yay.

I'm not sure it's a great idea for a tattoo. A wraparound on the wrist, particularly one of that size is not going to have the best detail in it. I can't help but feel it's not going to look as good as the idea you have in your head. 

Perhaps get a different type of Glastonbury tattoo?

If you want a band go for it, it's your wrist after all.

My only input would be I wouldn't have the year. Make it a generic (but lovely) one and it's relevant forever. Like a lifelong festival memento, rather than being tied to a year. 

I'm bored (as well as weak), so feel OK about posting this. 

The first thing that I would say, is that 52 is a good age to not only be patronized, but to be patronized to within an inch of your life. It is (I know, because I am 52) an almost, ironically, life affirming moment when it occurs to you at this age. At least somebody gives a fuck to even consider you worth interacting with. The way I see it is that it only gets worse as you get older. Or, at least, that's the way you are 'coerced' in to thinking. I think! 

Anyway, bollocks to that old nonsense, it's time to move on, and back to the original topic. I really don't get why you'd want a tattoo of 2018? Then again, I'm not a tattoo person.

While on this subject, I recently found out that my wife's step dad has a tattoo that my wife didn't know about - until about 2 weeks ago, that is. I found out at the same time as my wife did. We went to visit my wife's mother a short time ago, and while there her mother came out with the fact that xyz (her husband) has a tattoo on one of his arms. My wife kind of exclaims ' A tattoo? What kind of a tattoo'? Her mother replied ' A series of numbers'. It struck us both at the same time - the bloke had been in a concentration camp. 

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My wife kind of exclaims ' A tattoo? What kind of a tattoo'? Her mother replied ' A series of numbers'. It struck us both at the same time - the bloke had been in a concentration camp. 

Wow! that would be shocking to find out after all those years. You do not mention if he is Jewish but if he were devout, Judaism prohibits tattoos so tattooing in itself is an affront to the dignity of a person of the Jewish faith. I saw this play last year which touches on the subject of Nazi identification tattoos. It is well written and funny as well as poignant. sorry for going so far off topic. 
https://www.theatrecalgary.com/content/theatre-calgary/general-page-downloads/BAD_JEWS_Play_Guide_TC.pdf

Back on topic:

If you are having a a wrist band done, consider having a 3D effect done. I can not find an exact example  but here are some pretty awesome 3D effects.

http://www.menstattooideas.net/3d-tattoos-for-men/ 

2 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

Wow! that would be shocking to find out after all those years. You do not mention if he is Jewish but if he were devout, Judaism prohibits tattoos so tattooing in itself is an affront to the dignity of a person of the Jewish faith. I saw this play last year which touches on the subject of Nazi identification tattoos. It is well written and funny as well as poignant. sorry for going so far off topic. 
https://www.theatrecalgary.com/content/theatre-calgary/general-page-downloads/BAD_JEWS_Play_Guide_TC.pdf

Back on topic:

If you are having a a wrist band done, consider having a 3D effect done. I can not find an exact example  but here are some pretty awesome 3D effects.

http://www.menstattooideas.net/3d-tattoos-for-men/ 

I'm not sure if he was born in to a Jewish family or not. He is well in to his 90's now and is Latvian. I've just had a quick look on the net and it would  appear that tattooing of prisoners was only done in Auschwitz, but that many prisoners were sent from there to other camps. 

I'd like to look in to this a bit further but can't really as my wife is civil to him but doesn't really like the man. She was about 8 years old when he came in to her life rather abruptly. One minute she has her natural happy go lucky father in her life and the next she has this strange man who was very dictatorial. I think that this is why she started rebelling and drinking at 14 - and hasn't stopped since!

I need to say a couple of things;

(1) Regarding the above posts. I found out this evening that I was completely mistaken, on a number of fronts. No surprises there I hear you all shout. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he didn't get his numerical tattoo in Auschwitz. And the reason for this is because he was fighting on the side of the Germans. The numerical tattoo on his body was actually put on there by the allies. Apparently he spent 5 years in a UK prisoner of war camp. So there we have it - the bloke was a collaborator, not a Jew. 

(2) Look deep deep down inside, so that you can feel the very essence of yourself.

What do you see?

What do you feel?

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I need to say a couple of things;

(1) Regarding the above posts. I found out this evening that I was completely mistaken, on a number of fronts. No surprises there I hear you all shout. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he didn't get his numerical tattoo in Auschwitz. And the reason for this is because he was fighting on the side of the Germans. The numerical tattoo on his body was actually put on there by the allies. Apparently he spent 5 years in a UK prisoner of war camp. So there we have it - the bloke was a collaborator, not a Jew. 

(2) Look deep deep down inside, so that you can feel the very essence of yourself.

What do you see?

What do you feel?

it's like something out of a movie