Festival cancelled due to mud

The other Bellboy

couldn't help thinking that this doesn't look so bad, from what i can see nothing like 2016 for a start, makes me think we may have been lucky over the years to not have the plug pulled or are GFL and the festival goers just so much more hardy;)

Anyone have any first hand experience form there and comparison to Worthy Farm?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-40768251

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Really doesn't look as bad as 2016.

I suspect they just aren't as prepared or experienced as Glastonbury.

Plus, as a more commercial festival, it would be more difficult to swallow spending a ton on woodchip, as opposed to Eavis who doesn't even blink at buying all the woodchip in the UK. They've paid the price now though.

Feel bad for all the festival goers. Must be gutting being told to pack up and leave with a full day left.

Been looking at the Y-Not thread and apparently there have been a huge number of thefts this year to the point where the police stepped in and they got their licence revoked. 

I don't want to point fingers but looks like they might be using the mud as a smokescreen for what's really going on behind the scenes. 

Edited by BlackHole2006

10 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Been looking at the Y-Not thread and apparently there have been a huge number of thefts this year to the point where the police stepped in and they got their licence revoked. 

I don't want to point fingers but looks like they might be using the mud as a smokescreen for what's really going on behind the scenes. 

Several bands have cancelled yesterday due to being unable to get heavy equipment through the mud.  Clean Bandit turned their live set into a DJ set.  That's one excessive smoke screen.

Edited by fowls

You just gotta accept whatever nature throws at ya and get on with it. Can't help thinking this is Health and Safety nonsense. I'd feel cheated if a part refund is not offered as I would of stayed and seen the bitter end. If I'd been present. :P Wimps in charge of proceedings me thinks. You book your tickets and take a chance regarding weather gods.

4 minutes ago, fowls said:

Several bands have cancelled yesterday due to being unable to get heavy equipment through the mud.  Clan Bandit turned their live set into a DJ set.  That's one excessive smoke screen.

Lol, didn't realise the full extent of it. Not entirely the organisers fault then

1 hour ago, fowls said:

Several bands have cancelled yesterday due to being unable to get heavy equipment through the mud.  Clean Bandit turned their live set into a DJ set.  That's one excessive smoke screen.

Should not be happening though should it. They knew it was going to rain and measures should have been put in place to prevent things like this from happening. Never heard of this happening before at any other festival and this is certainly not an excuse.

21 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

Seems like they got abit scared of people really hurting themselves by falling etc. Pansies compared to Glastonbury. Possibly health and safety gone mad as never happens at Glasto. If any festival should have been cancelled it was Glastonbury 2007 but we all ploughed on didn't we.

It just sounds like they've fucked things up and don't know how to run an event safely. Lack of security on site with a large amounts of thefts being reported. Seen loads of people complain that family camping wasn't at all safe. The difference between Y Not this year and Glasto in 2016 is Glasto knew what they were doing and were fully prepared for any situation while Y Not have bee trying to cut corners to make a bigger profit

Also I'll mention that there has been a complete lack of communication on site at all. Yesterday when they changed set times and replaced bands they only announced it on their social media so festival goers had no idea what was going on and they did the same with cancellation. One of my mates who is there said she hasn't heard from any body on site that it was cancelled at and she only found on her phone. She has also said that she's seen no one helping at all around the site and that's she had to help push several cars out of the mud. Also they said they'd be putting on extra shuttle buses to the train station today but they're £20 a ticket so they're still trying to fleece people after all that. Not to mention the cover up they're trying to do. There was an article posted on The Line of Best Fit about Y Not and Truck and it's organisation this which has mysteriously disappeared

Edited by justanothername

15 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Should not be happening though should it. They knew it was going to rain and measures should have been put in place to prevent things like this from happening. Never heard of this happening before at any other festival and this is certainly not an excuse.

Well no, they messed up the preparation and let it get to a stage where there was nothing they could do to rectify the situation. They should have prepared weeks ago. I don't see what you read in my post that exonerated the organisers? 

Its surprising that it's happened to a relatively experienced festival, but situations like this were nearly an inevitability at some festival eventually. So many of these festivals are flying too close to the sun in the competitive market. Cutting back on weather-proofing resources they may not even need is obviously an attractive place to cut costs. 

Edited by fowls

If anybody cares to pop over to the Truck thread, it sounds like that was a bit of a shitshow and all. Basic things like toilets not being cleaned all weekend.

i reckon I've been quite lucky with my festival-going. Probably been to like 15-20 weekends and with the exception of V, never really experienced crap organisation.

And on the other hand, looks like another successful Kendal Calling. People have had minor gripes with Kendal, but they run it well for a medium sized festival.

Friends I usually go to Kendal with were thinking about Y Not this year, bet they're glad they've been having the usual fun in Cumbria instead!

45 minutes ago, fowls said:

Well no, they messed up the preparation and let it get to a stage where there was nothing they could do to rectify the situation. They should have prepared weeks ago. I don't see what you read in my post that exonerated the organisers? 

Its surprising that it's happened to a relatively experienced festival, but situations like this were nearly an inevitability at some festival eventually. So many of these festivals are flying too close to the sun in the competitive market. Cutting back on weather-proofing resources they may not even need is obviously an attractive place to cut costs. 

Yeah sorry about that. Think I just saw it was in response to a post blaming the organisation and I think I misunderstood the "excessive smokescreen" part. But yeah it was run poorly and even the long forecast showed heavy rain and even a organiser for a different festival said that the long forecasts gave plenty of warning to fix a lot of issues so they either did a poor job preparing for it or they didn't bother at all. The whole reason for it happening is Global so. They've only been in the whole thing for two years and last year acquired Broadwick live which gave them a load of small/medium sized festivals and they clearly lack the experience and the know how. So I presume that when they acquired Y Not they ignored all that experience to do it their way. So essentially this massive media company got into festivals very recently and bought a load of festivals in order to make profit but with no idea how to run these events and it shows.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If anybody cares to pop over to the Truck thread, it sounds like that was a bit of a shitshow and all. Basic things like toilets not being cleaned all weekend.

i reckon I've been quite lucky with my festival-going. Probably been to like 15-20 weekends and with the exception of V, never really experienced crap organisation.

A few muddy toilets is nothing compared to half a festival being cancelled due to mud tbh, and Truck was muddy as all hell too but every single band showed up and played on time with no noticeable hitches from my perspective. Don't see why Truck is getting dragged into this just for having the same organisers, from being there it was honestly fine. Bit of a clusterfuck getting in and out, I do think they should open it on the Thursday to ease the queues, but personally had no real issues.

What happened at Ynot on the other hand is a massive load of arse that I'll make no excuses for.

Both Truck and Y-not were bought out by the same big organisation last year, weren't they?

it's absolutely the opposite of 'health and safety gone mad'. If you follow h&s procedures you have a plan of what to do in adverse weather conditions. As Gladtonbury does. This sounds like the organisers skimped on exactly the kind of forward planning that would have made the shitty weather at least tolerable

2 hours ago, mashedonmud said:

You just gotta accept whatever nature throws at ya and get on with it. Can't help thinking this is Health and Safety nonsense. I'd feel cheated if a part refund is not offered as I would of stayed and seen the bitter end. If I'd been present. :P Wimps in charge of proceedings me thinks. You book your tickets and take a chance regarding weather gods.

Edited by Mardy

3 hours ago, mashedonmud said:

Did you vote for Brexit?

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

A few muddy toilets is nothing compared to half a festival being cancelled due to mud tbh, and Truck was muddy as all hell too but every single band showed up and played on time with no noticeable hitches from my perspective. Don't see why Truck is getting dragged into this just for having the same organisers, from being there it was honestly fine. Bit of a clusterfuck getting in and out, I do think they should open it on the Thursday to ease the queues, but personally had no real issues.

What happened at Ynot on the other hand is a massive load of arse that I'll make no excuses for.

To be fair, while your experience at Truck may have been OK, there was a lot of complaints about the organisation at Truck well before Y Not started.

Check out the posts on Facebook from Angel Gardens, where they talk about some of the difficulties they had with the organisers at Truck that led to them cancelling Y Not.

just got back from this festival and it was pretty grim, put a tent peg through my knee so ended up in the first aid centre on the friday and then woke up in the first aid centre early hours this morning after over doing it last night and somehow lost my phone.

not the best weekend I've had  

4 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

couldn't help thinking that this doesn't look so bad, from what i can see nothing like 2016 for a start, makes me think we may have been lucky over the years to not have the plug pulled or are GFL and the festival goers just so much more hardy;)

Anyone have any first hand experience form there and comparison to Worthy Farm?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-40768251

Yeah I just got back and the festival was a shambles but only due to poor organisation.  The rain was bad but for comparison and my memory is a bit hazy no worse than the rain at Glastonbury in 2014 when the lightning was striking and Rudimentals set got cut short or the Thursday night in 2008 although it was persistent from around 1pm until midnight but they never laid any hay or wood chippings so it never recovered.

This tweet somes up the chaos though: 

54 minutes ago, dirty_dog said:

just got back from this festival and it was pretty grim, put a tent peg through my knee so ended up in the first aid centre on the friday and then woke up in the first aid centre early hours this morning after over doing it last night and somehow lost my phone.

not the best weekend I've had  

That's some self-destructive tendency you got there mate, and probably only person on site who can't blame the organisers. Top work !! B)

22 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

Yeah I just got back and the festival was a shambles but only due to poor organisation.  The rain was bad but for comparison and my memory is a bit hazy no worse than the rain at Glastonbury in 2014 when the lightning was striking and Rudimentals set got cut short or the Thursday night in 2008 although it was persistent from around 1pm until midnight but they never laid any hay or wood chippings so it never recovered.

This tweet somes up the chaos though: 

Sounds bad - did you feel like the site was actually unsafe or have they cancelled it more down to the issues of the bands not being able to get onto the stage or the driving rain causing possible issues to the bands / electrics on the stage?

We have all seen some really rough conditions at Worthy fm but i don't ever remember thinking i'm off cos i don't feel safe. Of course i'm not talking about potential crush issues due to stage congestion just about the type / depth / quantity of mud or the amount of rain falling

]

2 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

Sounds bad - did you feel like the site was actually unsafe or have they cancelled it more down to the issues of the bands not being able to get onto the stage or the driving rain causing possible issues to the bands / electrics on the stage?

We have all seen some really rough conditions at Worthy fm but i don't ever remember thinking i'm off cos i don't feel safe. Of course i'm not talking about potential crush issues due to stage congestion just about the type / depth / quantity of mud or the amount of rain falling

]

it was muddy and hard to get through bug no worse than anything ive experienced before at Glastonbury.  theres a rumour knocking about that police cancelled it and their license has been revoked but not sure how true.  also, my niece saw someone unconscious being treated by paramedics last night.

In that case i guess the real story will have to come out at some point. I'm sure something like a license being cancelled will definately make its way into the public domain at some point.

After all its been proven over and over that it is possible to manage events like these in poor weather conditions, however it would only take 1 incident and then lawsuit to make things very difficult for a festival to operate - H&S is getting more difficult to manage year on year.

Wonder what if there's any way the T&C's on our tickets could affect this sort of issue?