Festival cancelled due to mud

The other Bellboy

2 minutes ago, fowls said:

ah okay, sorry I misunderstood.  Thought you were referring to the golden circle.

Yeah, Glasto's security pit is pretty large, but then again the stage is pretty high. Can't imagine it being all that comfortable for the front if they were closer, but it works out for more people further back I guess.

Ha no probs. I see what you mean about the pyramid, but to be fair you can't see the bloody stage once past the sound desk anyway. Ive noticed it at smaller venues too. Security pit getting bigger and feeling further from the crowd, but not  the same in Europe. Off topic anyway! 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

just looked at the photo's and I have to say, I have seen far worse, 2016 was worse, 2004 - 2009 were all worse

There's been talk of it being so bad backstage that they couldn't get kit to the stages, and the stages themselves were not as weatherproof as they needed to be. Looks like the front of house mud might have been the least of their issues. 

It will certainly be interesting to see if a police report emerges from this to see if it was them who had the final say, and if so what their motivation(s) was.

35 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

There's been talk of it being so bad backstage that they couldn't get kit to the stages, and the stages themselves were not as weatherproof as they needed to be. Looks like the front of house mud might have been the least of their issues. 

It will certainly be interesting to see if a police report emerges from this to see if it was them who had the final say, and if so what their motivation(s) was.

i can understand that , one of the photo's I have seen was  muddy path going past some tents, i had  to laugh at that as 2016 that would have been one of the easiest paths to take 

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

If that's the case, then it can only be the fault of the organisers. The idea that a main stage at a festival wouldn't have some combination of roads and/or temporary trackway providing (relatively) weatherproof access is baffling. I wouldn't expect a first year independent event to make that mistake, let alone one that's been going 10+ years controlled by a huge corporation. If that's what happened, then it can only be the result of cutting corners and they deserve any criticism / financial hit they get.

15 hours ago, Cbobs12 said:

Been to the last 7 years at YNOT. There's no doubt they made big cut backs this year to save cash. Previously there's always been track matting or similar in the car park from the start of the festival - there was none until today and then just a few bits near entrances. Previously there's always been security guards in towers in campsites - there wasn't any this year. I think that's why there's been so many Thefts. They always had lights down the emergency service paths through campsites - again none this year. 

The organisers reported having 80 tonnes of wood chip - yet made no attempt to sort out the mud in the main arena or on the main paths. So not sure where this was used!!!

Previously family camping had designated wristbands and you were checked going in and out the area - this year anyone could camp in there. 

The water taps didn't even work in family camping for over a day.

they couldn't even be arsed to put signs up outside the tents so you knew which was which venue. 

So badly organised and evidently profit driven and cost cutting. Been to numerous festivals in worse weather and they've never cancelled acts or shut early. Utter chaos and plain and simple, the organisers fault. They made it unsafe, not the weather!!!

thankfully I have happy memories of glastonbury to look back on this year. Instead of just that shit storm :-)

That really does sound shocking, you would have thought that they have to have guard's up the towers for fire watching activities if nothing else?

It sounds so badly run and calling it a shit storm sums it up very well!

19 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

I don't just mean a financial rip off, I mean a serious fatality and injury type situation.

Imagine if that stage fire at tomorrowland happened here, and having a big crowd scramble up a sloped muddy hill? See how far downhill due to corporate greed Leeds/ Reading & Vfest has gone ?? Even Kendal calling wouldn't put stage times out this weekend unless you bought a lanyard for a tenner. Festivals are now rivalling domestic holiday expenditure, its a multi multi million pound industry now and that means cost cutting and profit Maximisation and greed and incompetence and organisers / owners not giving a shit about punters once the SOLD OUT signs go up, which is what happened in sport which caused tragedy upon tragedy. Music festivals could go the same way. 

Ive just been to Benicassim and I can honestly say it's Fuck all to do with European H&S legislation. Each stage including the main one had the barrier right up to the stage pretty much, with no huge stupid pit like we get over here. It's nowt to do with Europe. 

Pure scaremongering here. Corporate greed or not, the security teams at these events know exactly what they're doing. Do you seriously think the Greedy Corporate Overlords running something as gigantic as R&L don't care about the impact some horrible tragedy happening at their event would have? Be real, guy.

20 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

It would be more useful to have a list of indie festivals that arent controlled by this group and Live Nation - how many are there left?

Was just thinking this, been on their website and there's a fair few owned by Global. 

Reluctant to give any sort of praise to them, but I spent the weekend at Kendal (which is ran by them) and thought the setup was decent. Clean toilets most of the time, genuine attempts to lose the mud and beer under a fiver. 

18 hours ago, Cbobs12 said:

Been to the last 7 years at YNOT. There's no doubt they made big cut backs this year to save cash. Previously there's always been track matting or similar in the car park from the start of the festival - there was none until today and then just a few bits near entrances. Previously there's always been security guards in towers in campsites - there wasn't any this year. I think that's why there's been so many Thefts. They always had lights down the emergency service paths through campsites - again none this year. 

The organisers reported having 80 tonnes of wood chip - yet made no attempt to sort out the mud in the main arena or on the main paths. So not sure where this was used!!!

Previously family camping had designated wristbands and you were checked going in and out the area - this year anyone could camp in there. 

The water taps didn't even work in family camping for over a day.

they couldn't even be arsed to put signs up outside the tents so you knew which was which venue. 

So badly organised and evidently profit driven and cost cutting. Been to numerous festivals in worse weather and they've never cancelled acts or shut early. Utter chaos and plain and simple, the organisers fault. They made it unsafe, not the weather!!!

thankfully I have happy memories of glastonbury to look back on this year. Instead of just that shit storm :-)

I completely agree with all of this. The mud was manageable and nothing compared to Glastonbury last year. Although where the 80 tonnes of woodchip went is a mystery to us all! The organisation was shocking from the outset. One of our party spoke to a member of security who said that their colleagues had gone home coz 'they weren't paid enough to work in those conditions'.

The lack of water in family camping worried me greatly - wtf?? And unlike Glastonbury (where they will often hand out free bottles of water) I didn't feel confident that they had a contingency plan in place for this.

Relying on social media to inform festival goers was also a bit crap as most of us had no phone signal whatsoever. That said, we spoke to a member of staff on Sunday who, whilst being lovely, had no clue about what was going on and we even had to tell him that the festival had been cancelled!

Also, we saw Slaves on the main stage on Saturday and the sound quality was shockingly poor!

Such a shame that Ynot has moved away from being a friendly family festival and has turned into a crock of shite. We have all decided to do something different next year. Ynot is finished for us. Such a shame. I shall miss the location (beautiful), the Hog & Barrel and the Cherry Perry cider :( At least I have good memories of Bearded Theory and Glastonbury for this year and I still have Boomtown to look forward to. Goodbye Ynot x

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Pure scaremongering here. Corporate greed or not, the security teams at these events know exactly what they're doing. Do you seriously think the Greedy Corporate Overlords running something as gigantic as R&L don't care about the impact some horrible tragedy happening at their event would have? Be real, guy.

I was using R&L as an example of a festival that has gone downhill due to corporatisation, and only highlighted the smaller ones (still owned by decent sized companies) as being at more risk of injury / death type situation.

Ive seen Leeds / Reading decline so much in last 23 years ('99 for Leeds) that I honestly wouldn't be shocked if something major happened there. I also mean in terms of general safety around the site. Stewarding away from main entrance (alcohol detection) was almost non existent last year. Lots of aggro, fighting and lairiness with big gangs of ketheaded, steroid inflamed dicks. I'm a big lad and no stranger to aggro but even I was on edge and felt unsafe, in the arena and camping areas. I saw a mass brawl in the camping area at Kendal yday lunch, almost no stewards or security about. Things are going downhill at some festivals and you'll be a fool to deny it. 

Reality, Guy... ! 

20 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

I saw a mass brawl in the camping area at Kendal yday lunch, almost no stewards or security about

Just seen a video of that fight at Kendal, absolutely crackers! What goes through these kids heads?

59 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Just seen a video of that fight at Kendal, absolutely crackers! What goes through these kids heads?

Did you see that video of the girl getting rugby tackled from behind in the mud pit? Bet she was as sore as f*** when the shock wore off, looked really nasty!

12 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

Did you see that video of the girl getting rugby tackled from behind in the mud pit? Bet she was as sore as f*** when the shock wore off, looked really nasty!

I'm not sure she's woke up yet. Out cold for 40 minutes, taken away by paramedics still out of it I think. Haven't heard anything about her condition. Ketted up monkeys playing stupid game of  violent football in waiting for Brian Wilson.