bamber

1 Xtra are celebrating this over the weekend, do listen...

I for one was massively into this multiracial, inclusive scene in '98 and '99 and on into the the millennium. It all went a bit pear shaped at the end, but was so, so  good in its prime, so many tunes.. Luck and Neat at this year's festival was definitely a highlight again, though it was by no measure all UK G, there were some classic nostalgic moments. We must always remember how good things can be musically in this country, and keep these movements alive. I went home after Glastonbury in the late nighties and went on a few weeks later to Ayia Napa in its heyday. Those were the good times. Twice as nice in London was a 400 mile round trip for us for a night out, but it was done, and seemed like a perfectly reasonable proposition at the time. All this was before camera phones and Facebook, etc. so all we have is the memory in our minds. But those memories are so vivid and so sweet.

This is well worth a watch, from 2013, a documentary that tells the whole story:

Edited by bamber

Bamber, my music taste rarely aligns with yours but your threads make my day and I do try and make an effort to listen to all the stuff you post. Keep it up, your my favourite on these boards.

Edit:  get a Spotify playlist sorted we can jump in and out of, the youtube songs stop when my phone locks, peeeeace.

Edited by priest17

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Bamber, my music taste rarely aligns with yours but your threads make my day and I do try and make an effort to listen to all the stuff you post. Keep it up, your my favourite on these boards.

Edit:  get a Spotify playlist sorted we can jump in and out of, the youtube songs stop when my phone locks, peeeeace.

Peeeeace.....

18 hours ago, bamber said:

2 step 4 ever....

Tuuuuune!! 

I went to my first garage rave (Stush) at 16, (1999) and fell in love with the whole scene. 

My circle of friends became hooked and wanted to be a part of it somehow. Having zero money i knew i couldn't be a DJ so tried my hand a being an MC. I wanted to be involved so bad. I got my pen and pad and started writing down, pretty badly, lyrics. 

My best mate knew a guy who was starting a pirate radio station and was lucky to get an 8-10pm Sunday set, bare in mind it was early days so no one was locked on so it didn't matter what we were putting out, but over time i got pretty good  at spitting a lyric or two. As the station grew, the calibre of DJ/MC grew too. To the point our set was after Decline & Hyperactive, who were already well established in the scene. I remember turning up and they had guests with the likes of So Solid, Anthill Mob, Roll Deep  finishing their sets. We were well out of our depths but enjoyed that set until around 2003 and when management changed. 

Then Grime took over and that was the end of pirate radio as we loved it. I carried on hosting sets with a few other DJs/MC's but it was never the same. I will always cherish that era. Even though i was never 'a name', i felt a part of the movement. 

UKG FOREVER x

Loving this thread some classic track postings in here.  Been quite a resurgence in 2 step and the classic UKG 4/4 sound over the last year, which has been v pleasing to the ear.  Hoping to meet up with the Godfather of UK Garage next week; Grant Nelson, such a prolific producer.

Awesome thread :) 

As my name suggests I was always a d&b head, but I had a lot of time for garage when it came along. Even picked up the odd tune on 12" much to the amusement of my snobby mates who didn't get it at all. Used to rinse a DJ Spoony mix I got free with Muzik mag, it was amazing. First time I heard this was in that mix, such a tune

My favourite garage tune of all is this I think, so smooth and I love it when the b-line goes dark halfway through

Edited by Junglist1981

8 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

My favourite garage tune of all is this I think, so smooth and I love it when the b-line goes dark halfway through

Smooth as polished cold stone.

I can assure you that bass line does indeed go very dark about half way through :)

Edited by bamber