Mercury Prize 2017

jyoung

9 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

that's not entirely fair, he did ask and I wasn't going to lie.

Edit: also I/my delivery wasn't as cold as you may be imagining. Although those were the exacts words that were said

You don't have to defend yourself, mate. Your responses were genuine answers to genuine questions. Just unfortunate for him I suppose but I'm sure he got over it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, musky said:

There is no right thread to say you can't stand Kate Tempest. 

Go sit on the naughty step and think about what you've just said. ;)

If you criticise Kate Tempest, she puts you in one of her poems and you start wondering why you can't sleep at night and why there isn't anything more to your life.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

To be fair if he had the idea that liking hip hop was liking his music then he deserved exactly that response. :lol:

Still I couldn't imagine not lying in that situation.

exactly, he was making out as if if you liked hip-hop you must like him. I had drunk a few beers by then so the filter was definitely off, hence the brutal honesty . As jyoung said though I'm sure he got over it. If it'd happened to me I would find it very funny and wouldn't be able to avoid a wry smile.

Getting back on topic though, this Mercury list is worst than most. Pretty shocked that none of Laura Marling, Slowdive, Kelly Lee Owens or IDLES are on there. Definitely fancy Sampha to win though, that record seemed to be universally loved. 

2 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

that's not entirely fair, he did ask and I wasn't going to lie.

Edit: also I/my delivery wasn't as cold as you may be imagining. Although those were the exacts words that were said

I could only imagine what you wrote, which was that you'd said a closed sentence that he didn't  really have a response to. 

You didn't need to be more fair than that and nor do I. 

2 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Don't band's have to pay to get nominated? Maybe most band's see it as fairly irrelevant so don't bother, can't say I blame them if it is the case.

It will be the labels that pay for it. They won't find it irrelevant when it gets moved to the Mercury Music Prize section at the front/on the homepage of the store. :P

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It will be the labels that pay for it. They won't find it irrelevant when it gets moved to the Mercury Music Prize section at the front/on the homepage of the store. :P

they get a performance on TV thrown in too if they turn up to the ceremony, not something to sniff at these days

On 7/27/2017 at 1:26 PM, Mardy said:

also, this seems like the right thread to say i can't fucking stand Kate Tempest. 

Mardy I've never been so bewildered by anything in my entire life. She gets every critic going mad for her, every music nerd getting teared up seeing her live, and I'm over here like is this the fucking David Brent of hip hop or summat?

Soz lads but why do people care so much about the Mercury Prize at all? Is it because it turns up at the time of year when nobody else is making lists and we all thirsty motherfuckers for lists? Is it because we wish it was like the Juno Prize or SAY Award where you listen to the full list of nominees and they're by and large a well curated list of varied releases many of which you wouldn't otherwise have paid attention to? Just a bunch of London old media hacks trying to look trendy innit? Sometimes it's nice when Young Fathers or Anthony & The Johnsons get a big fat wedge of cash, but other than that who gives a fuck?

On 29/07/2017 at 1:35 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Mardy I've never been so bewildered by anything in my entire life. She gets every critic going mad for her, every music nerd getting teared up seeing her live, and I'm over here like is this the fucking David Brent of hip hop or summat?

That's it. I knew something was bugging me. You're spot on. It's all 'Equality Street' isn't it?

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That's it. I knew something was bugging me. You're spot on. It's all 'Equality Street' isn't it?

Googled Equality Street and it's fucking killed me from laughing, maybe the comparison was a bit harsh on Brit School Kate.

• 1 month later...