Mercury Prize 2017

jyoung

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, liamium said:

no richard dawson? no jane weaver? thats so bad that its funny. esp richard dawson. peasant is just the most incredible and startling thing i've heard in years

counterpoint: why do i even fucking care about it tho 

+1 for Richard Dawson, his most accessible yet, what does this man have to do? Would have been great to see him get a live performance on TV as well, he's incredible live.

Would be great if Kate Tempest won it, such a hard, important exterior but a really gooey, positive core. Wouldn't be annoyed if Sampha, Stormzy, Loyle Carner or Glass Animals won it. As others have said though it's pretty unimportant now and generally only gets an eyebrow raise reaction or an eye roll reaction. Used to be a decent way to discover hidden gems and I'd look forward to listening through the albums, hasn't provided that service in years though. 

4 hours ago, SighMo said:

Some pretty decent acts on the list but a big omission for me would be The Moonlandingz; great new album. 

Shocking they aren't on the list, utterly appalling in fact !! 

Same for Idles and Sleaford Mods. 

I gave up on it last year after Bowie and Kiwanuka lost to skepta. Travesty. 

12 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

Konichiwa is as relevant as Blackstar in this day and age. Let alone the fact Where Are We Now? was the better later Bowie album. 

I have a horrible suspicion they might give this to Blossoms. I'd like to see Glass Animals or the XX win it. 

13 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

Skepta fully deserved it. The best album from the most exciting genre around right now. 

18 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

You realise they may not be put forward by their record company? 

5 hours ago, reflekting said:

Konichiwa is as relevant as Blackstar in this day and age. Let alone the fact Where Are We Now? was the better later Bowie album. 

I have a horrible suspicion they might give this to Blossoms. I'd like to see Glass Animals or the XX win it. 

Blossoms would be a kick in the bollocks.

Any of Glass Animals/XX/Sampha for me, preferably Sampha.

Stormzy actually did a better job than I was expecting too. The 3 albums above were better though.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If it is, I'm gonna throw Loyle Carner in there too. So bloody boring. The Elbow of hip hop.

I second that. Met the bloke at Field Day which led to a very awkward interaction. I said hi and he asked if I saw his set. I told him I didnt and he said ''ahh, are you not a hip hop fan?''. I replied ''I'm a huge hip hop fan''

He just looked at me for a couple of seconds and then walked off.

5 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

I second that. Met the bloke at Field Day which led to a very awkward interaction. I said hi and he asked if I saw his set. I told him I didnt and he said ''ahh, are you not a hip hop fan?''. I replied ''I'm a huge hip hop fan''

He just looked at me for a couple of seconds and then walked off.

Holy shit.

edit: You're a stone cold killer.

Edited by dentalplan

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Holy shit.

edit: You're a stone cold killer.

was a day full of awkward encounters actually. Met Julia Jacklin and the combination of having had a fair few beers and her shyness made for a weird conversation. Was also spotted by one of my secondary school teachers whilst smoking a joint outside the festival site.

It's about fucking time the fucking token fucking jazz album fucking won this fucking thing.  

That and the track they played from it being the best thing I heard on the radio yesterday when they announced the nominees. 

Alas, as has been the case for the last few years, I am utterly unfamiliar with any album on the list.

On 27/07/2017 at 1:26 PM, Mardy said:

Stormzy or Sampha for me, although it really is an utter irrelevance really.

also, this seems like the right thread to say i can't fucking stand Kate Tempest. 

There is no right thread to say you can't stand Kate Tempest. 

Go sit on the naughty step and think about what you've just said. ;)