Slam Dunk 2018

LRDJ

8 minutes ago, foolee said:

Agreed with this although I do think ADTR could get bigger slots at festivals like download & R&L.

But I could see SUM 41 and Billy Talent doing 2019 but not sure if either would headline. 

I think Sum 41 would sub though that said they are 4th down at Reading, Billy Talent wouldn't get higher than sub I don't think, even 3rd down. GC off the back of co-headlining this are now going to do Ally Pally...something I couldn't see JEW doing at all now. GC seem to have entered a second coming like. 

I expect to see LTJ back for it next year.

2 minutes ago, LRDJ said:

As much as I think it'd be a good idea for them to start trying to book bigger headliners, I'm not sure they'll do it because it seems to still sell well despite the medium sized headliners. But yeah, if they did bands like BMTH, ADTR, even Blink if they were really going for it aren't completely unimaginable, but I can't see it as surely they'd be offered high slots for more money at other, bigger festivals.

For me though, next year's headliner is a bit of a struggle. I could see it being Neck Deep with a strong undercard/coheadliner, like Architects or Parkway Drive, Sum 41, NFG etc., but knowing Slam Dunk it'll probably be something underwhelming like You Me At Six or All Time Low (although it's the 10 year anniversary of Nothing Personal next year) wiht Neck Deep under them.

I'd laugh if it's Weezer

If it was Weezer I'd buy instantly as you only need 1 more band to make it worth it really but because of the cost of Weezer for their own gigs I don't see it. If they weren't as rare here they would charge less and be more of a reasonable bet.

Also I wonder if they'll keep the two main stages setup from this year. Personally I thought the lineup was stronger, but the organisation and execution was worse than previous years. The main stages being so far away at North was a complete farce though, and the marketing of coheadliners when they clashed was nonsensical and misleading to me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think Sum 41 would sub though that said they are 4th down at Reading, Billy Talent wouldn't get higher than sub I don't think, even 3rd down. GC off the back of co-headlining this are now going to do Ally Pally...something I couldn't see JEW doing at all now. GC seem to have entered a second coming like. 

I expect to see LTJ back for it next year.

I'd have Sum 41 as a sub too, seems about right and they'd go down as well, if not better than Taking Back Sunday. To be fair to Good Charlotte, they sounded pretty good live, although for me they haven't had a good album in over 15 years. Jimmy Eat World were excellent imo, shame they've been stagnant for so long because they deserve better.

Next year I expect Boston Manor, Waterparks, The Story So Far, Less Than Jake, Beartooth, Neck Deep, While She Sleeps and Mayday Parade to show up in big slots. I have a full prediction but it needs ironing out a little ?

If we're going for predictions, let's include Zebrahead and Goldinger as standard, they have played the last 8/6 year (resp).  Hopefully not though, as even I am getting bored of them!

Could see Sum41 on the Fireball headlining.  Would like to see Pennywise or Bad Religion next time as well.

I liked the double mainstage set up - as wasn't too far at South.  But agree, needs to be sold as such.

Just now, Steve1000 said:

Parkway Drive seem a good bet actually if they don't do Reading. Could they get away with subbing?

I think they could get away with it, but it depends on who the headliner is. If it's Sum 41 or Neck Deep, I think it'd be a coheadliner - it'd need to be a big or very well established band for them to sub imo, such as Shikari last year.

4 minutes ago, LRDJ said:

I think they could get away with it, but it depends on who the headliner is. If it's Sum 41 or Neck Deep, I think it'd be a coheadliner - it'd need to be a big or very well established band for them to sub imo, such as Shikari last year.

I reckon that Sum 41 are deffo bigger than Parkway and they're both bigger than ND. 

Maybe something like this: Sum 41 / Parkway Drive / Simple Plan / Marmozets / The Front Bottoms / Waterparks / Milk Teeth / WSTR

with Deaf Havana, Asking Alexandria, Less Than Jake, Thrice headlining other stages

5 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I reckon that Sum 41 are deffo bigger than Parkway and they're both bigger than ND. 

Maybe something like this: Sum 41 / Parkway Drive / Simple Plan / Marmozets / The Front Bottoms / Waterparks / Milk Teeth / WSTR

with Deaf Havana, Asking Alexandria, Less Than Jake, Thrice headlining other stages

Do you think there'll be two main stages, or was it just because they had two "headliners" this year?

My main stage prediction is currently looking like Architects or Parkway Drive / Neck Deep / The All-American Rejects or New Found Glory / Marmozets / While She Sleeps / Waterparks / Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! / WSTR, with Sum 41 headlining another stage, but maybe that's a bit ambitious. Plus if they were "co-headlining" I guess Neck Deep would be on another stage ?

3 hours ago, LRDJ said:

I'd have Sum 41 as a sub too, seems about right and they'd go down as well, if not better than Taking Back Sunday. To be fair to Good Charlotte, they sounded pretty good live, although for me they haven't had a good album in over 15 years. Jimmy Eat World were excellent imo, shame they've been stagnant for so long because they deserve better.

Next year I expect Boston Manor, Waterparks, The Story So Far, Less Than Jake, Beartooth, Neck Deep, While She Sleeps and Mayday Parade to show up in big slots. I have a full prediction but it needs ironing out a little ?

I completely forgot in the gap I kind of had that Beartooth were playing but I'm not really a fan.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Agreed that Good Charlotte really seem to have had a second wind. They’re far bigger now than they’ve ever been before. 

Neck Deep seems a great shout for a headliner next year. 

Ally Pally is enough to play 3rd at Reading and I never thought I'd see GC do that. Yeah I'd be surprised if Neck Deep weren't in the running...I'm not a fan myself though so I hope for a good alternative. It's weird as when I was be a on the poster etc it felt like they are bigger than they actually are for the fest....only really an academy band, Brixton maybe at London and 4th down very good at Reading for e.g..

2 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

Are GC or JEW really that much bigger than Sum 41? If they go for the joint headliner format again Sum 41 could easily headline IMO. 

Joint headliner yes I think Sum 41 do it but given they have come back, played Download and playing Reading this year plus toured I don't see then about next year. 

21 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

LTJ clashing with Sum 41?, what are you doing haha. But I'd buy a ticket.

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I wouldn’t say Sum 41 are bigger than Parkway Drive. 

No, Parkway Drive could 100% sell out bigger venues in the UK (watch them smash some arenas in the very near future). However, if you think about it from the casual festival goers point of view, even from Slam Dunks point of view, Sum 41 are going to be a competitive ticket shifter, probably would even sell more tickets to a Slam Dunk than Parkway Drive would due to the audience the festival attracts.

I think Sum 41 are in that middle ground where they'd be a strong sub but a weak headliner.

Simple Plan > Sum 41 > Neck Deep would be a fantastic top three.

Give me Patent Pending, Waterparks and Set It Off somewhere else on the card and I'd buy my ticket straight off.

4 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I think Sum 41 are in that middle ground where they'd be a strong sub but a weak headliner.

Give me Patent Pending, Waterparks and Set It Off somewhere else on the card and I'd buy my ticket straight off.

Even if Sum 41 are a weak headliner, do you not think they're bigger than Neck Deep?

Had a blast at my first Slamdunk fest (south). Highlights were Say Anything, TBS and Zebrahead (don't know any songs, but that was fun!).

Area nice and large an d pleasant to walk around.

I thought it was pretty well handled getting everyone out and on to the trains too (giving out water and choc bars was a nice touch).

Although bars running out of booze is a pisstake....

And my heart broke every time I passed the toilet queue. 

Is it always like that or just new venue teething problems? Didn't look like they had anywhere near enough loos.

EDIT - Also all I could keep thinking about after GC ended was how good it would be if Sum 41 were playing...seems perfect for them right about now.

Edited by some dude

1 hour ago, huntyyy said:

No, Parkway Drive could 100% sell out bigger venues in the UK (watch them smash some arenas in the very near future). However, if you think about it from the casual festival goers point of view, even from Slam Dunks point of view, Sum 41 are going to be a competitive ticket shifter, probably would even sell more tickets to a Slam Dunk than Parkway Drive would due to the audience the festival attracts.

Oh, yeah, sorry. Slam Dunk wise Sum 41 are bigger to that audience. 

4 hours ago, huntyyy said:

Friends of mine would go for Parkway Drive but there would defo be more interest with Sum 41 along with the other type of acts that play there.

4 hours ago, Jericode said:

Put LTJ headlining the Fireball Stage and that is an awesome top 3. I'd have no hesitation paying £55 for Simple Plan, Sum 41 and LTJ. I think Sum 41 could do the slot Pvris did this year...but they would easily close the Monster Energy based on Birmingham. Nice area though the 2nd one, it was a bit of a walk between main stages but the crowd congestion from as before was so much better.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Oh, yeah, sorry. Slam Dunk wise Sum 41 are bigger to that audience. 

Parkway would be ideal for 2000 Trees if it was that big.

Had a really good day at Slam Dunk south. The site was fantastic for the amount of stages, and walking inbetween stages to get to see different bands was easy. Toilet queues were horrible, but expected (Did go down quicker than I thought though). Highlights were probably Lower than atlantis, Twin Atlantic, Creeper and Good Charlotte (When they weren't talking and were actually playing music). Now the parking situation coming out was horrendous, I did expect it though. I feel bad for the people that had to wait longer than I did. Would do it again though.

15 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Friends of mine would go for Parkway Drive but there would defo be more interest with Sum 41 along with the other type of acts that play there.

Put LTJ headlining the Fireball Stage and that is an awesome top 3. I'd have no hesitation paying £55 for Simple Plan, Sum 41 and LTJ. I think Sum 41 could do the slot Pvris did this year...but they would easily close the Monster Energy based on Birmingham. Nice area though the 2nd one, it was a bit of a walk between main stages but the crowd congestion from as before was so much better.

Parkway would be ideal for 2000 Trees if it was that big.

So Parkway Drive are bigger than Enter Shikari in this scenario? 

Edited by Chavmeisterdeluxe
  • Upvote 1

Sum 41 could definitely headline Slam Dunk. Might not sell out massive venues these days, but as a headliner at Slam Dunk they would sell more tickets than Parkway Drive and definitely Neck Deep. They could've easily had Good Charlotte or Jimmy Eat World headline outright and been fine this year.  

4 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

So Parkway Drive are bigger than Enter Shikari in this scenario? 

I'm taking that mostly from the people that say what venues they could do but maybe they would be okay for it now. I'm not a fan so can only really judge by people that are.