Slam Dunk 2018

LRDJ

I think Slam Dunk are a festival that can afford to have someone that's not massively "mainstream" like Brand New headline, a heavier headliner like an Architects or a Parkway Drive, or even a "smaller" headliner like Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World or Good Charlotte. It will more than likely sell out either way. 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

• 3 weeks later...

Really hoping for Four Year Strong and Set Your Goals somewhere on the lineup.
Brand new would be amazing as an overall headliner, their stage production on their current US tour looks insane!
What is everyone predicting other stage headliners?
PVRIS
State Champs
Good Charlotte?
Alkaline Trio? If Skiba ever takes a proper break from Blink
Heavier headliners I haven't a clue, Architects are surely too big. Parkway Drive or Asking Alexandria?

1 hour ago, jcarb said:

Really hoping for Four Year Strong and Set Your Goals somewhere on the lineup.
Brand new would be amazing as an overall headliner, their stage production on their current US tour looks insane!
What is everyone predicting other stage headliners?
PVRIS
State Champs
Good Charlotte?
Alkaline Trio? If Skiba ever takes a proper break from Blink
Heavier headliners I haven't a clue, Architects are surely too big. Parkway Drive or Asking Alexandria?

Four Year Strong are pretty much my only wish for the lineup, them and Turnstile hahahaha

I think PVRIS will sub main stage, State Champs will headline the pop punk stage, Good Charlotte the arena stage and While She Sleeps the heavy stage. 

Pretty sure Asking Alexandria are touring with Black Veil Brides in January which hopefully means neither are playing (thank fucking christ), and Architects and Parkway are too big except for main headliner/coheadliner, plus I expect them to be at Download high up.

If it's not Brand New headlining I'll be devastated, been listening to them non stop this month and I've convinced myself it's them already. Either way though it'll still be awesome.

5 hours ago, LRDJ said:

Four Year Strong are pretty much my only wish for the lineup, them and Turnstile hahahaha

I think PVRIS will sub main stage, State Champs will headline the pop punk stage, Good Charlotte the arena stage and While She Sleeps the heavy stage. 

Pretty sure Asking Alexandria are touring with Black Veil Brides in January which hopefully means neither are playing (thank fucking christ), and Architects and Parkway are too big except for main headliner/coheadliner, plus I expect them to be at Download high up.

If it's not Brand New headlining I'll be devastated, been listening to them non stop this month and I've convinced myself it's them already. Either way though it'll still be awesome.

Yeah every year I have FYS and SYG as my wish list bands aha!
Kinda wish FYS are there and playing Rise or Die Trying in full as I missed it in Feb this year and I'm still gutted about it, but probably not gonna happen is it?
Hoping they do carry on the tradition of at least one band doing a full album/anniversary show.
Haven't got a clue who they'd book though, as most of those tours have ended/won't ever happen or won't come to the uk :(

I could see PVRIS having the slot that Tonight Alive had this year myself? But high up on main may be right, I really don't know how popular they are in order to know where I'd place them.

I don't really follow AA as I've never got into them at all aha, so I wouldn't be bothered either way. 
Just thought they'd be about the right size? 

Is Frank Carter big enough to headline the alt/punk stage? He's massively blown up and doesn't seem to be stopping tbf.
I'm yet to see him tbf, live shows look even more insane than the days when he was in Gallows.

I could see State Champs having the pop punk stage, but I mean it'll be year 3 on the same album? But loads of the comments I saw last year on Slam Dunk posts were asking for them!

I've done the same and convinced myself it's Brand New and I will be a little gutted if it isn't too tbf, the dream would be Deja Entendu in full and anything else will just be a plus aha.

4 hours ago, jcarb said:

Kinda wish FYS are there and playing Rise or Die Trying in full as I missed it in Feb this year and I'm still gutted about it, but probably not gonna happen is it?
Hoping they do carry on the tradition of at least one band doing a full album/anniversary show.
Haven't got a clue who they'd book though, as most of those tours have ended/won't ever happen or won't come to the uk :(

I could see PVRIS having the slot that Tonight Alive had this year myself? But high up on main may be right, I really don't know how popular they are in order to know where I'd place them.

I don't really follow AA as I've never got into them at all aha, so I wouldn't be bothered either way. 
Just thought they'd be about the right size? 

Is Frank Carter big enough to headline the alt/punk stage? He's massively blown up and doesn't seem to be stopping tbf.
I'm yet to see him tbf, live shows look even more insane than the days when he was in Gallows.

I could see State Champs having the pop punk stage, but I mean it'll be year 3 on the same album? But loads of the comments I saw last year on Slam Dunk posts were asking for them!

I've done the same and convinced myself it's Brand New and I will be a little gutted if it isn't too tbf, the dream would be Deja Entendu in full and anything else will just be a plus aha.

The RoDT show in Manchester was honestly one of the best shows I've ever been to, but I really can't see them still playing it when Slam Dunk is happening.

PVRIS are a weird one tbh, I have no idea why they're associated with alternative music when they're just plain pop and no idea on their popularity, but based off their tour next month they've pretty much sold out the Manchester Apollo which would make them about main stage sub level.

Frank would be yeah, but personally I think he (and everyone else) would prefer to play to a huge crowd high up main stage, he'd completely own it.

State Champs are still gonna play I think

And lol it'll be a regular Brand New set if they play seeing as their new album is so good.

12 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

Are Architects way too big? I don't buy that at all. Their Ally Pally gig rules them out though.

To headline the heavier stage, yes. They're not gonna play this year anyway like you said, but I think next year they'll headline.

10 hours ago, LRDJ said:

The RoDT show in Manchester was honestly one of the best shows I've ever been to, but I really can't see them still playing it when Slam Dunk is happening.

PVRIS are a weird one tbh, I have no idea why they're associated with alternative music when they're just plain pop and no idea on their popularity, but based off their tour next month they've pretty much sold out the Manchester Apollo which would make them about main stage sub level.

Frank would be yeah, but personally I think he (and everyone else) would prefer to play to a huge crowd high up main stage, he'd completely own it.

State Champs are still gonna play I think

And lol it'll be a regular Brand New set if they play seeing as their new album is so good.

Aye I've heard good things from friends that went to the manchester date, will forever be gutted I didn't get to go to it.

I don't get the PVRIS thing either, I just can't get into them at all. I like maybe 2 songs at best. Mainly cause they get played on nights out aha!

I get what you're saying with Frank and he more than likely would be main stage for the huge crowds, which works cause he wouldn't clash with a headliner for me.

State Champs I do think will play, i Just think it's year 3 of the same album but that's not gonna hinder anything is it really when there's such demand.

Aye, I can see it being pretty heavy on Science Fiction which I'm fine with. I can hope for them to do full album shows eventually, but it'll probably never happen aha!

2 hours ago, jcarb said:

Aye I've heard good things from friends that went to the manchester date, will forever be gutted I didn't get to go to it.

I don't get the PVRIS thing either, I just can't get into them at all. I like maybe 2 songs at best. Mainly cause they get played on nights out aha!

I get what you're saying with Frank and he more than likely would be main stage for the huge crowds, which works cause he wouldn't clash with a headliner for me.

State Champs I do think will play, i Just think it's year 3 of the same album but that's not gonna hinder anything is it really when there's such demand.

Aye, I can see it being pretty heavy on Science Fiction which I'm fine with. I can hope for them to do full album shows eventually, but it'll probably never happen aha!

They did that in the U.S. a couple of years ago. One night was The Devil & God + Daisy, the other was Deja + your favourite weapon.

On 18/10/2017 at 10:27 AM, LRDJ said:

On 18/10/2017 at 10:42 AM, Andre91 said:

YES, TURNSTILE.

If Turnstile are planning on coming here for early summer they'll probably do Outbreak Fest. They're only really good terms with the organisers and it seems they only play Leeds nowadays as a result :lol: 

On 18/10/2017 at 4:12 PM, jcarb said:

Saw FYS and SYG in 2015 and they were sick would love to them again though saw FYS earlier this year on the RODT tour and they were incredible. SYG said they were going to bring the Mutiny shows to Europe.
Ehhh, Frank Carter just doesn't seem to fit Slam Dunk but I suppose he could do it
Reckon State Champs will have something new by summer 2018 either with a new album out or coming out with a few singles out already
Still don't think it'll be Brand New. I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't see it. Also I just the impression that it'll be the worst place to see them. Don't know why though

On 19/10/2017 at 8:13 AM, jcarb said:

What if he then clashes with one of your favourite smaller acts then on top of that you don't like the other headliners :O

On 19/10/2017 at 10:50 AM, huntyyy said:

They did that in the U.S. a couple of years ago. One night was The Devil & God + Daisy, the other was Deja + your favourite weapon.

The Devil & God + Daisy night is a dream. Also they have done album shows before, they did Deja once or twice over here in 2015 out of the blue (I went to it, wasn't that good but then again Deja is my 4th fav Brand New album and some of the songs they were playing on that tour were great so for them just to be dropped for Deja wasn't good for me) and they did The Devil & God in full last year in the US but that was more as a result of Science Fiction not being ready (they also had Modern Baseball and Front Bottoms in support so that really was a dream tour)

Edited by justanothername

On 9/25/2017 at 5:55 PM, DomDom1984 said:

Tbf, All Time Low are absolutely nowhere near big enough to fill arenas, so I wouldn't use that as a basis to judge.

True but my prediction is if they were to headline this festival it would be to do something like play the whole of So wrong its right, which would 100% sell out to all us nostalgic emo kids

On 10/22/2017 at 10:44 AM, justanothername said:

The Devil & God + Daisy night is a dream. Also they have done album shows before, they did Deja once or twice over here in 2015 out of the blue (I went to it, wasn't that good but then again Deja is my 4th fav Brand New album and some of the songs they were playing on that tour were great so for them just to be dropped for Deja wasn't good for me) and they did The Devil & God in full last year in the US but that was more as a result of Science Fiction not being ready (they also had Modern Baseball and Front Bottoms in support so that really was a dream tour)

When I saw them in 2014 they played a decent chunk of Deja which is pretty good, I'm far more into those first two albums. Not writing off the other 3 like as they're solid albums.
Current set list only includes 4 songs from either of those albums so I've probably seen the most of those two albums live that I'll ever see them play now aha.

On 10/25/2017 at 4:06 AM, stefan Gutierrez Yildirim said:

True but my prediction is if they were to headline this festival it would be to do something like play the whole of So wrong its right, which would 100% sell out to all us nostalgic emo kids

I'd be all over that, not sure if they're even going to tour that album in full. Aren't they just doing a few shows in the US to celebrate?

1 minute ago, jcarb said:

Bands that play Rock am Ring, are they more likely for Slam Dunk or Download do we think?
Few bands there that could easily be at Slam Dunk (Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World, etc)

I think Good Charlotte are a certainty for the arena stage tbh, everything is lining up for them to be there and they'd go down at least as well as Bowling For Soup did, and Jimmy Eat World could play either festival, or neither. 

2 hours ago, LRDJ said:

I think Good Charlotte are a certainty for the arena stage tbh, everything is lining up for them to be there and they'd go down at least as well as Bowling For Soup did, and Jimmy Eat World could play either festival, or neither. 

I'd happily see them both if they played and didn't clash, hoping for someone else to headline I'd prefer over Good Charlotte though.

34 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Remember Brand New playing Deja in full unannounced in Sheffield and my abiding memory being that it was merely OK. Good at a push, definitely not great. 

I'd probably have some form of biased opinion as I love that album, wish I'd made it to that show.