poppydom1964

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Well there is 27 pages of torie hating for a start

That's was asking if Tories were welcome at the festival, and the answer was yes. It's not exactly threads popping up praising him and everything he does.

Do you ever wonder if writing off a large group of people of differing opinions as if they were all slavering cult members is a bit... well... prejudiced?

Edited by frostypaw

5 hours ago, amfy said:

Maybe you could have dug up the 'Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury?' thread which we'd all gratefully watched finally slither off he front page?

Otherwise, there's a section of these boards for political discussion. Starting a thread about this random allegation doesn't fit on the Glastonbury boards for me. It's a political festival, but this bit of the board isn't for politics at random.

I'd rather concentrate on the fact that we all enjoy Glastonbury here (more that unites than divides us?) and only talk politics as it relates to Glastonbury, not just at any random titbit that's wound someone up a bit.

Very succinctly put

53 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

That's was asking if Tories were welcome at the festival, and the answer was yes. It's not exactly threads popping up praising him and everything he does.

Do you ever wonder if writing off a large group of people of differing opinions as if they were all slavering cult members is a bit... well... prejudiced?

I'm not writing anyone off at all, just my opinion as a person of no political bias based on what I see posted. There has been a lot of political discussions recently around JC etc and the overwhelming theme is that only those who support him are entitled to an opinion and anyone who begs to differ is met with a barrage of opponents and in some cases it gets quite personal. I don't disagree with the opinion that this thread had some sort of motive, but it should be called out as just that rather than saying that this forum is no place for political discussions, because clearly it has been over the last few weeks.

10 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Jesus this place. If this was a thread praising Corbyn for wiping out the countries debt people wouldn't be saying 'don't post this here', they would be salivating over it.

^

There's some laughable posts in this thread, from those who only allow praise of their hero.

Mindless cultism is last year, peeps. There's still brexit to fight.

6 hours ago, tozpot said:

@eFestivals did you just leave up this completely pointless off-topic thread because you hate Jezza you stinky mug

hey, let's have some censorship in favour of Corbyn, too. :lol:

It's no more or less off topic than plenty of the topics that people condemning this topic have creamed themselves about posting in.

And people say it's the tories who are self-centred? :P

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It's no more or less off topic than plenty of the topics that people condemning this topic have creamed themselves about posting in.

At least the other topics were in some way related to Glastonbury. You know, that festival is forum is dedicated to? This is just someone wanting to start a row.

There is nothing more tedious than political talk on non-political forums. The same people saying the same shit going round in the same circles. Nobody's mind is changed as people stick too closely to their own rhetoric to listen to what anyone else is saying.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

At least the other topics were in some way related to Glastonbury. You know, that festival is forum is dedicated to? This is just someone wanting to start a row.

There is nothing more tedious than political talk on non-political forums. The same people saying the same shit going round in the same circles. Nobody's mind is changed as people stick too closely to their own rhetoric to listen to what anyone else is saying.

You would say that.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

At least the other topics were in some way related to Glastonbury.

some were, some weren't.

And there's plenty of other stuff that gets posted here without complaint which isn't related to Glasto.

You know, that festival is forum is dedicated to? This is just someone wanting to start a row.

You're probably right about it being someone trying to start a row, but I took it as an honest post. It is a subject that can be discussed, whatever its motives.

If there's going to be the post police thinking bad about the motives behind any post - and particularly because it says something they don't want said - we're starting down a long and dark slippery slope.

There is nothing more tedious than political talk on non-political forums.

An opinion you're allowed, but not an opinion that was prevalent previously from plenty of the posters not wanting this particular topic.

The same people saying the same shit going round in the same circles.

The same could be said of plenty of the topics on this forum.

Nobody's mind is changed as people stick too closely to their own rhetoric to listen to what anyone else is saying.

Then let's shut the world down along with this thread. :P

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

As far as I can see from a quick search - there have been no threads started to praise Corbyn. Such a search reveals 2 titled with him appearing on The Pyramid, and one titled with him appearing in Leftfield.

Despite there being huge swathes of popular opinion on the internet regarding Tory austerity being a cause of Grenfell, and that the prime minister's response in the aftermath was poor - there has been no thread started in this section to slate her or the tories for any lies or shortcomings in a much bigger story. These have stayed in the existing 'Are tories welcome..' thread, or in the political section of the boards.

...and as for the 27 pages of Tory bashing that has already been allowed, - who actually thinks we won't get that again if this thread continues? Does anyone believe that because it started with an allegation against Corbyn that we will now have the big Tory fight back here and the left will be put back in its box? 

In my comments I thought I made it pretty clear that what I hoped to avoid was another thread which consists of people calling each other c**ts for pages on end, and yes, I am well aware that it was my side who were more guilty of that. You start a thread like this on here, I think we have seen what you get.

2 minutes ago, amfy said:

In my comments I thought I made it pretty clear that what I hoped to avoid was another thread which consists of people calling each other c**ts for pages on end, and yes, I am well aware that it was my side who were more guilty of that. You start a thread like this on here, I think we have seen what you get.

So far it's been avoided. Is a thread full of moans about how a particular subject shouldn't be discussed any better?

If we go back to that 'are tories welcome at Glastonbury' thread, it was full of people saying that Glastonbury's always been political ... and now the complaint here is that Glastonbury chat shouldn't be political.  And that thread has people saying that tories are welcome at Glastonbury, but it seems that tory chat around Glastonbury is not.

Anyone seeing the irony? Apparently not. :P

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If we go back to that 'are tories welcome at Glastonbury' thread, it was full of people saying that Glastonbury's always been political ... and now the complaint here is that Glastonbury chat shouldn't be political.  And that thread has people saying that tories are welcome at Glastonbury, but it seems that tory chat around Glastonbury is not.

It was so much simpler when they were all "shy" and just conducted their evil business without us knowing, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers ;) 

It's fine for Glastonbury chat to be political - it'll pop up naturally all over the place. What I think isn't fine is if someone STARTS a thread in Glastonbury chat for ANY political point. I'm not saying moderate it off, I'm expressing my opinion that the OP might have considered starting this debate elsewhere. There is actually quite good political debate in the general discussion sections of this forum. (Not like when people come here to ask about other festivals because you'd wait a week for a reply in those festivals own sections)

This is one minor point of political policy - if it's fine to start a thread on this here, then let's look forward to a  new topic everyday - lets talk about the bin men being on strike, or the money that's been found to improve transport in London at exactly the same time as it was decided that there wasn't enough money to improve transport in the north. Do we want a NEW thread about each of these things in Glastonbury chat? Talk politics by all means, but as it arises in the course of conversation - there are loads of examples of this happening because there are a lot of politically aware people around the boards. Please not a new debate for every gripe - that does belong in the politics section.

Just now, amfy said:

It's fine for Glastonbury chat to be political - it'll pop up naturally all over the place. What I think isn't fine is if someone STARTS a thread in Glastonbury chat for ANY political point.

If that became a constant then i'd probably be agreeing with you. 

And it's not completely random and unrelated - tho perhaps better done in one of those previous threads - as it's more of a follow-on from the political discussions here around the general election & Corbyn's glasto appearance.

Just now, amfy said:

I'm not saying moderate it off, I'm expressing my opinion that the OP might have considered starting this debate elsewhere.

On the basis that people here have suspected it's someone 'trolling', then it's probably the case that the OP very definitely wanted it where it's been put, because of previous discussions in the same forum.

Just now, amfy said:

Do we want a NEW thread about each of these things in Glastonbury chat?

same would apply to other topics, but other topics don't get the same complaint. And from the other direction there's plenty of off-topic stuff here.

I agree there needs to be a balance, but that balance isn't upset by one new topic.

It might not apply with you, but as a generality this one being jumped on in the way it's been isn't in keeping with responses to other topics - which is an upset of that balance.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Well Corbyn was on at Glastonbury. So it's as relevant as threads discussing Radiohead etc. outside of their festival performance. What I don't get is why so many people are reading it if they're not interested.

8 hours ago, amfy said:

As far as I can see from a quick search - there have been no threads started to praise Corbyn. Such a search reveals 2 titled with him appearing on The Pyramid, and one titled with him appearing in Leftfield.

This is not a winner. In a variety of people here's eyes you either think he's a twat or you worship him like the second coming of christ and ZERO INBETWEEN SHALL BE TOLERATED.

It's pretty frustrating and laughable :(

I am still confused by this whole student debt story to be fair. Regardless of whether you think it was a Labour pledge or not, I'm not sure how he "broke" it?

Unless the Tories attempted to pass a bill eliminating all historical student debt and Labour voted against it, no policy promise has been broken. And none will be as Labour aren't in government. If there's another election it'll come with another manifesto and that'll have its own statement on tuition fees and historic debt.

It's such a weird non-story for the Tories to glom on to "Hey look, Labour aren't going to eliminate student debt after all. And we still won't either!"