BBC Music to run nationwide "Glastonbury replacement" in 2018.

Rubber Soldier

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

And even if its not free, it'll shut up the "BBC wasting everyone's money" parade

Oh would that it did so, old chap!

The anti-Auntie mob have the scent of blood up their nostrils after Brexit and they want to do Murdoch's bidding.

7 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Oh would that it did so, old chap!

The anti-Auntie mob have the scent of blood up their nostrils after Brexit and they want to do Murdoch's bidding.

PMSL ... I bet you over half the people posting here are funding Murdoch.

You don't have to be a moron brexiter to be a moron Murdoch supporter.

Now, who's cancelling their sky package? No one? Thought so. ;)

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

PMSL ... I bet you over half the people posting here are funding Murdoch.

You don't have to be a moron brexiter to be a moron Murdoch supporter.

Now, who's cancelling their sky package? No one? Thought so. ;)

Spot on. I've often thought this. The whole 'don't buy the sun' thing is kind of meaningless if you're forking over 50 quid a month for sky sports etc.

Just now, MattDavies__ said:

I mean the Sun thing is more to do with Hillsborough and their irresponsible journalism rather than Murdoch. But I agree, people need to ditch Sky as well. 

That's utter bollocks. Your line is the one that Murdoch funders roll out to give themselves a free pass.

Real lefties have been boycotting Murdoch for 5+ years prior to that.

For many it started with the move to Fortress Wapping. For me personally, it started before that when, as an electrician, I became aware of how Murdoch was buying the union (ETU, which became the EETPU) to the detriment of other unionised workers .

There's quite possibly boycotts going back further. There's a reason why Thatcher needed (worthless) Murdoch guarantees in 1981 when he took over The Times, for example.

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

That's utter bollocks. Your line is the one that Murdoch funders roll out to give themselves a free pass.

Real lefties have been boycotting Murdoch for 5+ years prior to that.

For many it started with the move to Fortress Wapping. For me personally, it started before that when, as an electrician, I became aware of how Murdoch was buying the union (ETU, which became the EETPU) to the detriment of other unionised workers .

There's quite possibly boycotts going back further. There's a reason why Thatcher needed (worthless) Murdoch guarantees in 1981 when he took over The Times, for example.

Well i've literally just said I don't give money to Murdoch so I dunno where that came from but I'm not denying people have boycotted since way before then, just for the majority that was/is (now its been back in the news) the tipping point. 

Good on anyone that's been doing it since before then. 

4 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

so I dunno where that came from

from you suggesting that the boycotting was about boycotting just The Sun rather than Murdoch.

Some of us didn't give him a free pass over stuff that was far worse than Hillsboro (which at it's core was just defamation, something the sun does every week).

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

from you suggesting that the boycotting was about boycotting just The Sun rather than Murdoch.

Some of us didn't give him a free pass over stuff that was far worse than Hillsboro (which at it's core was just defamation, something the sun does every week).

Yeah okay sorry I can see why that wasn't clear and came across as silly now- I'm totally supportive of anyone boycotting any of his stuff, whatever the reason. 

For what its worth I was completely unaware of the Wapping thing but that's another to add to the list so cheers :P 

No need to be down Matt's throat when he's correct. The vast majority of those boycotting The Sun aren't doing it as an entire anti-Murdoch standpoint, but an anti-Sun one - Hillsborough being the crux.   

I'm boycotting NowTV this year, which means I've ended up pirating Game Of Thrones.  I looked into Amazon. Google Play etc, but couldn't find any legal way to see the latest episodes without paying Murdoch.  A shame, since it's a genuinely good service (I was weak last year), but I can't fund that man.

I keep waiting to hear some awful news about Netflix' business practices.  I really don't want to dump them!

13 minutes ago, Tuna said:

No need to be down Matt's throat when he's correct. The vast majority of those boycotting The Sun aren't doing it as an entire anti-Murdoch standpoint, but an anti-Sun one - Hillsborough being the crux.   

I don't disagree, but that's not quite what was said. The talk was about "doing Murdoch's bidding".

i pointed out that him saying people boycotted The Sun and not Murdoch wasn't correct.

I could and should have used milder language, but wrong is still wrong.

32 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I keep waiting to hear some awful news about Netflix' business practices.  I really don't want to dump them!

If they could keep that quiet until after the new series of Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things I'd be incredibly grateful.

Edited by Hugh Jass

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

you should do it. It's a lovely festival for the musically open-minded - and it's much more than just 'world music' - tho it is a bit middle class and tame.

I've been going to womad on & off for nearly along as i've been going to Glastonbury. 

I'm thinking for next year: Bearded, Womad and Boomtown should cover all bases. 

(Funds depending of course - I've got a massive trip away happening in August)