BBC Music to run nationwide "Glastonbury replacement" in 2018.

Rubber Soldier

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit confused by the animosity here.  The 6Music weekend was in Glasgow earlier this year and I saw a tonne of acts, most of them on strong multi-artist bills that worked out way cheaper than the average gig.  If the Beeb can use their clout to entice headline sized acts to play smaller than usual venues and tickets are either free or well-priced then....what's the issue?

Does anyone remember the BBC Live thing they did around 2000ish?  It was wonderful, there was music in the train station, music in the streets.  It was brilliant and put on by the BBC.  This could be great.  It seems like it's only the press who are really billing this as a "Glastonbury Replacement".  The beeb seem to be saying "we some spare budget next year because Glasto isn't on, so we're going to put on some of our own events instead".  Quite different.

This could be good, obviously it's not going to be like Glastonbury, nothing else is.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm a bit confused by the animosity here.  The 6Music weekend was in Glasgow earlier this year and I saw a tonne of acts, most of them on strong multi-artist bills that worked out way cheaper than the average gig.  If the Beeb can use their clout to entice headline sized acts to play smaller than usual venues and tickets are either free or well-priced then....what's the issue?

The big weekend isn't what it used to be, too many tories.

25 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I also don't get the hate. It's pretty much what they do every year, just on a larger scale.

It's not going to be a Glastonbury clone, just another avenue to see some big acts who would likely have played Glastonbury next year like Fleetwood Mac, who do have tour plans in 2019. Sounds promising.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I also don't get the hate. It's pretty much what they do every year, just on a larger scale.

Is it defs on a larger scale? It reads like they're doing four events for the four stations in four countries, just on the same weekend rather than throughout the year.

The 6music one could well be benefited by being around Primavera... but then it'll go be in Northern Ireland.

The 6Music Festival has seen nothing but acclaim since they began - and for all its foibles, the Big Weekend is still immensely popular. I'm guessing it'll fall more in line with the latter though - that they'll have a daily bill they rotate across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Island, with four stages (and maybe an introducing) for Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3 and 6Music respectively. Effectively a big travelling festival.

The other alternative in that is that each day of a festival could be a single station and they loop the countries, as in:

Fri 25th: Radio 1 (Northern Ireland ) - Radio 2 (Scotland) - 6Music (England) - Radio 3 (Wales)
Sat 26th: Radio 3 (Northern Ireland) - Radio 1 (Scotland) - Radio 2 (England) - 6Music (Wales)
Sun 27th: 6Music (Northern Ireland) - Radio 3 (Scotland) - Radio 1 (England) - Radio 2 (Wales)
Mon 28th: Radio 2 (Northern Ireland) - 6Music (Scotland) - Radio 3 (England) - Radio 1 (Wales)

But as Radio 1 days are obviously going to have much higher ticket applications than Radio 3, for example, that seems unlikely.

The problem if they choose to rotate lineups across the country is that you'll be asking most acts to play four shows in four days. How many wish to commit to that?

So perhaps the more likely answer is that each event will take place over four days with an entirely unique lineup - with some artists showing up for multiple shows (Either as headliner or down the bill - you could see someone like Pink or Imagine Dragons incorporating two of the four potential counties for example. Some smaller bands might do all four.)

It's obviously going to be an entirely different vibe but curious how this plays out.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Is it defs on a larger scale? It reads like they're doing four events for the four stations in four countries, just on the same weekend rather than throughout the year.

The 6music one could well be benefited by being around Primavera... but then it'll go be in Northern Ireland.

I'd assume that each city will have Radio 1, 2 and 6 events, just in different venues and catering to different audiences.

Colour me intrigued.

Thinking about it, I've been to a few of these. Went to the Big Weekend in Manchester in the early 00's when White Stripes and Stereophonics played, the one in Birmingham in 2004 and Hackney in 2012. Had fun at all of them.

Just looked at the lineup for Birmingham, that Sunday was a serious crime against music, and I don't just mean the now highly dubious choice of headliner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onebigweekend/birmingham/