West Holts 2019

BlackHole2006

12 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Thought you said you had info they were playing, and it’s the obvious place for them?

it wasn't me who said they were playing, and I'd also say there more possible stage options for Orbital than there is for HC.

And it looks just about certain that HC are playing, while there's not quite the same certainty for orbital.

15 hours ago, chatty said:

Never heard of Janelle before, gave her a pop and yeah, Ill not be there. Sounds like some sort of 90s pop. 

Looks like Im gonna be soread all over the shop again. Please put her up against Macca so he doesnt clash with Wu Tang and Ill be very happy with that though. 

I'd heard her name brandied about on here and by The Guardian (and oh my gosh, do the Guardian ever love Janelle! It's almost embarrassing :lol:), but had never checked her out before. I gave the new album a listen and didn't really think too much of it, but then I watched the video Mardy posted and WOW! That looks super fun and I can totally imagine being in the field with a cider having a good old time. Someone else posted on here that she's a great one for winning over the uninitiated during live shows so I'm pretty intrigued tbh

I did a bit more digging (on...erm....The Guardian), and it seems a lot of people (i.e. Guardian commenters) prefer her earlier albums, and that G set was from a few years back, so I might check her previous stuff out 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

I'd heard her name brandied about on here and by The Guardian (and oh my gosh, do the Guardian ever love Janelle! It's almost embarrassing :lol:), but had never checked her out before. I gave the new album a listen and didn't really think too much of it, but then I watched the video Mardy posted and WOW! That looks super fun and I can totally imagine being in the field with a cider having a good old time. Someone else posted on here that she's a great one for winning over the uninitiated during live shows so I'm pretty intrigued tbh

I did a bit more digging (on...erm....The Guardian), and it seems a lot of people (i.e. Guardian commenters) prefer her earlier albums, and that G set was from a few years back, so I might check her previous stuff out 

They're far from the only publication that raved about the last album, in fact you'll see they placed it more modestly than several publications - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Computer#Accolades

12 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I struggled a bit with her new album initially, and nearly gave up on it, but Quark told me to stick with it and now it’s possibly my most listened to album of the latter part of 2018. Watching the 2011 clip yest and reading a bit more about her has made me glad I did.

41 minutes ago, clarkete said:

They're far from the only publication that raved about the last album, in fact you'll see they placed it more modestly than several publications - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Computer#Accolades

Yes, this probably says a lot more about my VERY narrow source of music/news/popular culture/life/pretentious recipes than it does about her album :lol:

31 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I struggled a bit with her new album initially, and nearly gave up on it, but Quark told me to stick with it and now it’s possibly my most listened to album of the latter part of 2018. Watching the 2011 clip yest and reading a bit more about her has made me glad I did.

Cool, good shout :) In my excitement about a headliner yesterday I messaged two of my friends before I'd even listened to her album....they's also never heard of her before and struggled with it a bit too it seems. I'm definitely up for a bit of perseverance though!

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it wasn't me who said they were playing, and I'd also say there more possible stage options for Orbital than there is for HC.

And it looks just about certain that HC are playing, while there's not quite the same certainty for orbital.

Well, you made them SR, then after Mardy said he fancied Orbital to headline WH, you said:

22 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yes, this probably says a lot more about my VERY narrow source of music/news/popular culture/life/pretentious recipes than it does about her album :lol:

I think it's one of those that as others have suggested got much higher critical acclaim than commercial success.

As an old fart I listen to quite a lot of 6music (who love her), which started because I was conscious I could become one of those who always listened to the same stuff from my heyday, which I'd overplayed during those years anyway.  At least this way they expose me to older stuff that passed me by and a constant diet of new things.  There's always some which is not to my taste and they're clearly a bit snobby about what fits or does not within their demographic, but I'm entirely happy with those.  Most other radio stations or those "discover" playlists make me a bit shouty within half an hour

58 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nope, not that I know of.

I'm not even sure they'll be on west holts, tho i believe they had an offer to headline there.

My comment about Orbital was based on the assumption of others that they were playing West Holts, I have no real idea on their size myself, not my era or cup of tea. Assumed they were similar to Underworld who played West Holts in 2016. The fact Sigur Ros played the John Peel that night though when people at the time were assuming they would headline West Holts or Other shows it's a complete lottery really.

Can't see Hot Chip passing over a headline spot on West Holts to sub the Other in all honesty, which would presumably be the alternative. Can't see it being out of necessity either given there's hardly a scarcity of acts who could take that sort of position.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wonder if Orbital are small enough these days to headline The Park?  I'm guessing not, but it would be wonderful.

Saw them in Bristol at the Marble Factory/Motion a couple of months ago (which I think is a couple of thousand).  It was pretty packed and the place was bouncing along.  I saw a plastic cup leap majestically off a shelf due to their bass, the rascals.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wonder if Orbital are small enough these days to headline The Park?  I'm guessing not, but it would be wonderful.

I've only ever heard them mentioned on here and I'm a reliable bellwether for the listening habits of all persons born from 1990 onwards.

Orbital would be ace on West Holts - think they’re probably at the same level of popularity as Underworld were (or maybe a bit smaller?) when they headlined the Friday a few years ago. And that was party central.

Definitely too small for the Other now, I reckon. The Park would be magical too, if there were big enough draws on the other stages to make it manageable.

Then again I saw them in a car park in Hull last year, so maybe The Park is a good fit?!

8 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Then again I saw them in a car park in Hull last year, so maybe The Park is a good fit?!

Got a mental image of Janet and Roy Orbital loading up their Volvo estate car with a load of MDF to get the floor in the back room done, then they turn around to see a lone man stood there throwing out shapes to an imaginary beat like "Yes Orbitaaalllll!"

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN
"their" instead of "there"; death by stoning
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

nope, not that I know of.

I'm not even sure they'll be on west holts, tho i believe they had an offer to headline there.

Personally I just can't see it being WH, it wasn't that long ago that they headlined that same stage with an outrageously good set, It just doesn't sit right that they'd want to revisit it so soon.