West Holts 2019

BlackHole2006

2 minutes ago, mcbain55 said:

Liking the sound of this Cat Power song. is she defo playing West Holt? Do we know when? 

Honestly, I’d be surprised if she’s WH. I’d have her down as jp or park

9 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That latest Cat Power album is superb, one of my records of last year - ‘Wanderer’

Yeah, every Cat Power album is superb (apart from The Greatest lol), I feel like Wanderer might actually be some of her best work though, I didn't vibe with it at first but after quite a few listens I reckon I'd put it shoulder to shoulder with What Would The Community Think and Moon Pix. She seems to have got the issues which used to affect her live shows under control now, which is obviously great for her, but also good for us as well. Headlined the Park last time (in the Great Sunday Clashageddon of '13) so I wonder if she's bound for a larger stage this time. I'd love to see her get an early Pyramid show if she is, but I don't think she's a WH act, and not sure Other or JP would be the ideal setting

I’ve just been pondering that, yeah, I reckon you could well be right, an early Pyramid slot, especially if she’s got her performance anxiety sorted. And the word is that she definitely has. 

you don’t rate ‘the greatest’ then?

15 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I’ve just been pondering that, yeah, I reckon you could well be right, an early Pyramid slot, especially if she’s got her performance anxiety sorted. And the word is that she definitely has. 

Opening track is incredible, closing track pretty good, nothing in between does owt for me.

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Opening track is incredible, closing track pretty good, nothing in between does owt for me.

I was actually off getting breakfast for the family in my car this morning and had "The Greatest" on the car cd player. I hadn't listed to it for a while but I had to stay in car a bit longer to listen out a few more minutes as I was loving it. Living Proof, Could We, Willie 

Really excited for her as I missed her in '13 for something else...i know people say "Park, Park" but I prefer it when they move the artists around different stages each time they come back. I think she'd be a perfect Acoustic headliner actually. on the Killers night 

1 hour ago, tevaburger said:

I think she'd be a perfect Acoustic headliner actually. on the Killers night 

I think there are bylaws which expressly prohibit songs recorded less than 30 years ago being performed on the Acoustic stage, so it'd have to be a covers set. Which I'd obviously still be down for.

7 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think there are bylaws which expressly prohibit songs recorded less than 30 years ago being performed on the Acoustic stage, so it'd have to be a covers set. Which I'd obviously still be down for.

ha! true nowadays.... but it makes you think back to some of the more historic sets ever on the Acoustic Tent and '95 and the whole Portishead / Evan Dando fiasco and how current/relevant they were both then 

13 hours ago, tevaburger said:

ha! true nowadays.... but it makes you think back to some of the more historic sets ever on the Acoustic Tent and '95 and the whole Portishead / Evan Dando fiasco and how current/relevant they were both then 

That Portishead thing is so strange, did they actually play an acoustic set then?

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Cat Powers last outing in the Park was fairly low key. A lot wandered off. Not sure a bigger stage would suit her regardless of how she is live these days. 

Perhaps an off-evening for her, as I saw her two weeks later on the main stage at Latitude, either subbing or third down. She was sensational, had a fantastic backing band, and held a fairly large crowd throughout. Seemed to be really enjoying herself as well.

her band has made the difference when i've seen her in the past. it's been over 10 years since I last saw her, but I've seen her with Memphis Rhythm Band as well as with Dirty Delta Blues and both really made the difference, the Memphis Rhythm Band truly spectacular 

19 hours ago, The Nal said:

Cat Powers last outing in the Park was fairly low key. A lot wandered off. Not sure a bigger stage would suit her regardless of how she is live these days. 

I enjoyed it, but also wandered off because although she was 'headlining' the Park stage, it was that weird Sunday slot where it finishes just as the headliners on other stages start- so lots of the wandering off was due to people going to see headliners on other stages (I went to see Bobby Womack) rather than because of her performance.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I enjoyed it, but also wandered off because although she was 'headlining' the Park stage, it was that weird Sunday slot where it finishes just as the headliners on other stages start- so lots of the wandering off was due to people going to see headliners on other stages (I went to see Bobby Womack) rather than because of her performance.

Did the exact same thing, via Smashing Pumpkins on the Other. Been a couple of Glastos recently lacking in Sunday night go tos for me. Find myself plodding about the place. 

Just now, The Nal said:

Did the exact same thing, via Smashing Pumpkins on the Other. Been a couple of Glastos recently lacking in Sunday night go tos for me. Find myself plodding about the place. 

Yes, it's annoying- especially if when there are two headliners you really want to see clashing on the saturday, and then sweet FA on the Sunday. I still enjoy pottering about listening to different things, but it feels like ending things on a whimper rather than a bang.

Still, Croissant Neuf have had some excellent acts on after the Sunday headliners

On 4/6/2019 at 1:18 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You know what, I reckon you’re right Amy. I’ve given it a couple of plays since you said this the other day, and it’s a decent enough record, but it’s far from her best. Conventional wisdom has it as her best, and it’s not bad or anything (I especially love ‘out of there’) just a bit in thrall to the idea of being a proper ‘grown-up’ record. There’s far better from her. ‘Wanderer’ is just fucking ace. Never outstays its welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s back to how it used to be then. Always used to face directly to the Mexican hammock stall at the end of the row of stalls on the left. Great to lie in a hammock and watch a chilled act in the afternoon. 

49 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

that makes it feel like the capacity is smaller with the path .... maybe i remember it being bigger than it really is though?

I find this quite funny as it's gone back to its original angle, however when they announced it was changing angle from that to the one it's been at the last few years everyone was worried that it was reducing the capacity! It's like a giant optical illusion!