Glasto 2017 from the eyes of a first timer

Nimrod

Hi All!

This year was my first Glasto, I came all the way from Israel and made my dream came true. I wrote a post about my experience in Hebrew, but it does works well with Google Translate, I hope that you'll find it interesting :)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnimrodg1.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F07%2F05%2Fglasto%2F&edit-text=

Edited by Nimrod

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

That was a really good read, and fascinating to compare it to Roskilde in your other post - which sounds a little bit more . . . what's the right term? full of twats! 

Well, I think it's mainly different mentality. In the regular camping at Roskilde you'll probably will find mostly 16-20 year old kids who came for their summer vacation. There is a 'clean and silent' space for camping, but I haven't tried it, so I don't really know what's going on there. I can just say that even though that Roskilde PR keeps saying about how much they are environment-friendly festival - Glastonbury crew cares much more about the fields, and the people respect the fields more, I guess that's a different mentality too. I say lots of equipment there left behind, maybe it's OK with them that their volunteers will collect and recycle it. 

Excellent reading .I've been going for a very long time as I'm reasonably local to Pilton and a similar age as Glastonbury Festival. I have witnessed it grow and grown with it.  You would think that you'd seen it all but every time I attend there's an abundance of surprises, the view from the hill still blows me away and the love of the people brings joy, builds trust and really does give hope for the future.And I think you understand that it is impossible to be alone at Glastonbury. Can't wait till 2019 and hope you get there too. Stay with the community here and I'm sure somebody will help with ticket. I would certainly add you to my little group of friends who all go through the stress of the ticket sales for the sake of each other. Do not hesitate to ask. And if you feel you want to have a comfier experience then you need to get into the campervan fields. That's where i'll be. :)

12 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

We met an Israli chap coming out of Anderson .Paak and went over and to Pyramid and watched about an hour of Radiohead with him... I wonder if that was you.

Nope :) I did see Anderson but ran straight away to Radiohead and arrived on "Lucky", I actually haven't saw other Israelis except from a friend of mine

23 hours ago, Dillyblue said:

Really enjoyed the read, thanks.

A first Glastonbury is very special!! Xx

23 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Fantastic read, Nimrod - see you in 2019!

20 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

fantastic read ... made my Glastonbury smile return ... see you on the farm in 2019 :)

13 hours ago, mashedonmud said:

Excellent reading .I've been going for a very long time as I'm reasonably local to Pilton and a similar age as Glastonbury Festival. I have witnessed it grow and grown with it.  You would think that you'd seen it all but every time I attend there's an abundance of surprises, the view from the hill still blows me away and the love of the people brings joy, builds trust and really does give hope for the future.And I think you understand that it is impossible to be alone at Glastonbury. Can't wait till 2019 and hope you get there too. Stay with the community here and I'm sure somebody will help with ticket. I would certainly add you to my little group of friends who all go through the stress of the ticket sales for the sake of each other. Do not hesitate to ask. And if you feel you want to have a comfier experience then you need to get into the campervan fields. That's where i'll be. :)

Thanks a lot for this!  I just felt like I needed to share my experience and not to let it fade away. I was really surprised that Google actually made a fantastic job by translating it(except of the bands names :) ), So I'm happy I was able to share it with you.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

When was it?

11:09am Thursdsay June 24th 2010, sitting in a sliver of shade outside of cocktails and dreams, watching a 10ft breakdancing grasshopper,  and a faerie on stilts put a peg on the brim of my hat with a message on a gift tag. (I still have it.) My heart swelled in that moment and I just had to ring my nana, my favourite person, and try to explain how I felt. That was my very first Glasto Moment. What about you S2H?

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant read, this. I am always slightly jealous of people who are attending their first festival. Whilst I am still blown away by it's size, you can always notice the astonishment of new people when they first visit.

This is why I love the Wednesday and Thursday... the ability to wander without the time constraints of acts.

Now lets keep it a massive secret and not encourage others to attend in 2019 until we've got our tickets sorted ;) :ph34r:

On 24/07/2017 at 9:17 AM, Nimrod said:

I just felt like I needed to share my experience and not to let it fade away.

I wouldn't be worrying about that :D

There are some people who just aren't bothered by it all, but if it presses your button it stays down for many many years. Lovely read - next time the fling will turn into a love affair - hope you make it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 11:38 PM, Curlygirl said:

@Nimrod that was so lovely to read, it brought a tear to my eye. I will never forget the precise moment I fell in love with Glastonbury and its people. The endorphins released when I think of memories are better than any drug could produce. Thanx for sharing mate.

Just saw this comment now. Thank you, this comment is one of the reasons I decided to write about my experience and share it :)