Benicassim (FIB) 2018

andytommo

aside from for @gedkelly and a few other, ahem, refined rockers, PSB are gonna go down like a lead balloon. Most of the people at FIB don't seem to listen to anything released before 2004. Every what I would call 'credible' act I saw last year (Dinosaur Jn, Theme Park, Temples etc.) had a few hundred people watching them.

Edited by gregory

10 minutes ago, gregory said:

aside from @gedkelly and a few other, ahem, refined rockers, PSB are gonna go down like a lead balloon. Most of the people at FIB don't seem to listen to anything released before 2004. Every what I would call 'credible' act I saw last year (Dinosaur Jn, Theme Park, Temples etc.) had a few hundred people watching them.

Even though I'd seen the poster I still immediately went to public service broadcasting for PSB there...who would probably go down even worse! 

13 minutes ago, gregory said:

aside from @gedkelly and a few other, ahem, refined rockers, PSB are gonna go down like a lead balloon. Most of the people at FIB don't seem to listen to anything released before 2004. Every what I would call 'credible' act I saw last year (Dinosaur Jn, Theme Park, Temples etc.) had a few hundred people watching them.

erm , don't like PSB , Killers or Travis Scott mate , I think there are some great names on the line up and less of the ahem refined 

6 minutes ago, gedkelly said:

erm , don't like PSB , Killers or Travis Scott mate , I think there are some great names on the line up and less of the ahem refined 

sorry pal, misread, your post was about Justice. Saw them at BBK last summer, was incredible, you'll love it. Anyway, refined was meant as a compliment (especially in the FIB crowd) :) 

Pretty pleased with that announcement, not as good as last year but that was going to be tough anyway

Around another 20 acts to be announced, would love to see Editors, Slaves, Elbow, Shed Seven in the mix

Not holding my breath though!

6 minutes ago, gregory said:

sorry pal, misread, your post was about Justice. Saw them at BBK last summer, was incredible, you'll love it. Anyway, refined was meant as a compliment (especially in the FIB crowd) :) 

56 year old mate , been gigging since I was 15 , catch me at Sleaford Mods and you might change the refined statement , have a good in mate 

19 minutes ago, gedkelly said:

56 year old mate , been gigging since I was 15 , catch me at Sleaford Mods and you might change the refined statement , have a good in mate 

Refined
elegant and cultured in appearance, manner, or taste.
Synonyms: Sleaford Mods

:D 

Edited by gregory

Travis (I am a big fan) is the weakest rap/trap/r&b act in the last 3 years. It's not a big name in Spain and is not that huge as The Weeknd or Lamar who both have done tours through UK and Europe's Arenas. He was the supporting act in the DAMN Tour in USA for Lamar. Besides that, he didn't have a big big tour in USA, as other like Kendrick Lamar, Drake, The Weeknd or even J. Cole have done.

The Killers were at this past BBK Live, and they're also in the lineup of another spanish fest. 

Liam Gallagher is a big name in UK, but here in Spain is performing at halls for 2k people. In addition to that, he is also performing in another spanish festival which costs half of the price of FIB and is mainly fulled with cheap spanish acts. 

Pet Shop Boys, like The Killers, were at another spanish fest in 2017. In the case of PSB at Cruilla, which is way smaller than FIB or BBK Live. 

And damn, the other big names are always the same, nothing new, they're everywhere. 

Justice (BBK Live '17 + Mad Cool'18 + Cruilla'18).

2DCC (BBk Live'17 + Cruilla'17).

Bastille.... well, it's Bastille. 

Catfish, The Vaccines, Wolf Alice, The Kooks, Izal, Dorian, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. Always the same names, i don't know what the FIB festival bookers are thinking. And yeah, those names could sell some tickets in UK, but come on, you guys can do it way better than that.

Summing up, the headliners are cheap asf, shared with other fests and the rest of the big names just shows how lazy are te bookers of this festival. 

I gotta admit it, the small names are pretty decent but this was one of The biggest fests in Europe and now.. 

Edited by YunT
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, EamerRed said:

That's the worst part, I fear this is pretty much all of it in terms of 'big' acts.

Just done a bit of research into last few years and there tends to be roughly 22-26 international acts. I'd say we've probably got about 18 so far so still a bit of hope yet. Last year in the next 2 announcements (back end of April & middle of May) they added a fair few decent bands so all isn't lost yet mate!

you may be different to myself, but I treat Beni as a holiday that happens to have decent live music on top so I always have a brilliant time. There's enough there to pay the ticket imo.

Just now, jack12895 said:

In May last year they added The Sherlocks The View and 2mandj's i think, still hope for similar i'd like the wombats peace and i know a few people quite fancy camel phat

Yeah and in April they added Biffy Clyro, Temples, The Jesus & Mary chain & Years & Years. 

Definitely think we'll get a few more decent announcements yet.

Just now, andytommo said:

....then some people will still moan!!!!!

I don't get all the moaning to be fair. It's not a festival that sells out (and when it does it's closer to the time) so why don't the line-up dependant people wait before booking flights & hotels?!

This will be my 5th Beni, and everytime I get earlybird as I just love the place and know it's a great festival location/atmosphere. 

Sorry to carp on I just can't understand the moaners!

• Upvote 1

I think it’s reasonable to expect a strong lineup from Beni nowadays, it’s one of the few that tends to regularly deliver, hence pre-paying. I understand your point of view but if you’re an indie fan it’s not the greatest considering this is exactly the type of music you’d expect at Beni, and the bands in that bracket are poor. You can’t just tell moaners to pipe down, it’s fair enough if the lineup sucks.

Having said that, what was said above about treating it as a holiday that happens to have live bands is absolutely correct. Just need to find out what else is on aside from the bands and in the days leading up to the main nights themselves. Ultimately it’s what you make it and it will still be a quality week!

Sorry but who even are the pet shop boys? 

I understand Travis and Liam Gallagher as they're on the up right now, but from a quick Spotify search the pet shop boys only have 2 million monthly listeners... To put that into perspective the Kooks and Two door cinema club have more than double that... I understand that spotify is not the only way to judge how big a band is but when your headliner is less currently popular than your under cards, it's a bit surprising. I understand these guys may have been big in like 2003 or something but to be a headliner today is a bit surprising IMO.

Not disappointed with the rest of the announcements at all tho - the kooks, Justice, Princess Nokia are all great picks I think, but it's just a shame that a few of these bands could have been co-headlining instead. Would have really loved the libs too tho, but it's all good ahhaha

• Downvote 1

I'm not going but I'll try to add something to the thread :)

I went to Sziget in 2014 and immediatly loved the place and decided to go back there. The lineup went poorer in 2015 and 2016 but I knew that I wanted to go back last year despite the shit headliners they had (-Kasabian).
It's almost the same, a week-long "holiday" and tons of stuff to do, with the music being to icing on the cake (to a certain etent, and it's personal). But I think that it only applies to regulars, not first timers.

Sziget 2013 aftermovie made me want to go for the first time, but the decision was easy because of the lineup.

6 minutes ago, billisBob said:

I understand Travis and Liam Gallagher as they're on the up right now, but from a quick Spotify search the pet shop boys only have 2 million monthly listeners... To put that into perspective the Kooks and Two door cinema club have more than double that... I understand that spotify is not the only way to judge how big a band is but when your headliner is less currently popular than your under cards, it's a bit surprising. I understand these guys may have been big in like 2003 or something but to be a headliner today is a bit surprising IMO.

Not disappointed with the rest of the announcements at all tho - the kooks, Justice, Princess Nokia are all great picks I think, but it's just a shame that a few of these bands could have been co-headlining instead. Would have really loved the libs too tho, but it's all good ahhaha

Pet Shop Boys - It's a Sin , legendary scene from the movie Bronson.

15 hours ago, billisBob said:

2003, haha. They're synth-pop legends from the 80s, so naturally their Spotify listeners are lower. The Smiths, the biggest band of that era, also have less monthly listeners than the The Kooks and Two Door. The Rolling Stones have 1/3 of the monthly listeners of Imagine Dragons! It's a fairly useless metric - you'll find many (if not every!) festival lineups with headliners with less monthly listeners than the undercard. PSB are significantly bigger than the acts you've mentioned. Having said that, I do agree that Beni isn't the best place for them. I was also quite surprised and I don't think their crowd will be huge. Will be interesting to see who they put against them. It could easily be someone like Wolf Alice on the VISA stage who I think could pull a huge crowd vs PSB.

19 hours ago, billisBob said:

They're not really a great headliner but surely you know the Pet Shop Boys? They're one of the most famous bands of all time! I find it highly unlikely you've never heard of them...

Still not a good booking though.