Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

5 hours ago, galbani said:

Calm down dear, it's only an internet forum!

I really do get it. Really. I promise! Let me try again to explain...

£236 is the going rate. It's the going rate for the IoW festival CV field. That's all that matters.

You either buy or you don't. You have a choice. Limited supply, big demand. It may not be fair (in your opinion) but it's the price they set. You choose to buy or you don't. If nobody buys, as has been mentioned previously, the price comes down. If they sell all the tickets, the price may well stay the same or even go up.

Whether or not it looked 2/3 full doesn't matter. They will have a licence for x number of CVs. No more. If that only half fills the field then so what? That's all they are allowed to sell.

If the festival was massively oversubscribed - do you think they'd keep the prices at £220? Absolutely not. The price would go up, and up, until ticket sales started to drop off. Then they'd level off.

£220 is the going rate for the IoW weekend festival ticket. Not all the tickets sell. They cleverly match the demand with the ticket price for revenue maximisation.... with little tempters like early bird tickets to get a bit of cash flow up front...

Again - supply and demand. In this instance - less demand and more supply - this keeps the cost of the ticket at the point it is (and absolutely not subsidised by the CV tickets!).

This, my friend, is economics.

You may not like it, but that's the way it is. You have exercised your right to choose.

Like flight prices increasing during school holidays. Supply (limited) and Demand (high) - prices go up.

Or ferry prices during the IoW festival weekend.. the prices go up, with small  discounts outside the popular travel times...

No you really don’t get it, £236 is NOT the going rate, you can’t take one price in a marketplace  and say it’s the going rate, the going rate for a Festival general admission ticket is in the region of £200, some are a little lower, some a little higher but they are all around £200, the going rate. When it comes to cv  prices they start at around £60 and go to about £120, depending on the festival, even if you compare with  the higher end of the range, by no sane means can £236 be seen as the going rate. It’s clearly twice the going rate, which in my book, is taking the piss( and that’s without looking at the price for an electric hookup which is just daylight robbery).

The fact that even the small numbers of cv tickets available don’t sell out clearly shows that the price is too high

6 hours ago, Smeble said:

No you really don’t get it, £236 is NOT the going rate, you can’t take one price in a marketplace  and say it’s the going rate, the going rate for a Festival general admission ticket is in the region of £200, some are a little lower, some a little higher but they are all around £200, the going rate. When it comes to cv  prices they start at around £60 and go to about £120, depending on the festival, even if you compare with  the higher end of the range, by no sane means can £236 be seen as the going rate. It’s clearly twice the going rate, which in my book, is taking the piss( and that’s without looking at the price for an electric hookup which is just daylight robbery).

The fact that even the small numbers of cv tickets available don’t sell out clearly shows that the price is too high

Yes you can actually. That's the choice of who ever is selling... to set the price....

But anyway, I'm pi55ing in to the wind here, I give up! You win!

I'm going to listen to some music and cross my fingers for a decent line-up. Depeche Mode would be good.

But right now - I'm in a 'phonics mood. What shall I listen to.... ?

'Just enough education to perform' I think. Yep. That'll do nicely. Caravan Holiday. How appropriate.....

On 11/11/2017 at 11:14 AM, paulmuchmore said:

Didn't go this year after going the previous nine but have purchased for next year. With no Glasto on, and the fact I could get a islander rate ticket through a friend, decided to go for it. £116 including fees is pretty good. Hoping the Live Nation influence improves the line-ups compared to the previous few years which were getting very poor.

Even if it isn't a great line-up, for that price I will at least have a good weekend with friends/family without feeling I've been ripped off.

I'm worried about the line up.... last few years have had excellent headliners. Live nation run v festival and have fucking ruined it.... hence they may be making it a 1 venue festival now. 

Expect Justin beiber and other pop sensations.... FML. 

Apart from watching Queen,  the last few years I've spent very little time watching any of the "headliners".  The best thing about this festival is all the other random stages and events - 80's tent,  cirque de la quirk,  stumbling across good acts, great atmosphere .  I bought tickets for all this and will have a great time regardless of the headliners, if they turn out to be great headliners - it's a Bonus 

15 hours ago, ooxld said:

The best thing about this festival is all the other random stages and events - 80's tent,  cirque de la quirk,  stumbling across good acts, great atmosphere .

Serious question. Have you been to any other festivals? I found IOW to have very little to offer other than the main stage and the big top compared to, for instance, Bestival.

Obviously compared to a festival like V, Isle of Wight has plenty going on, so I suppose it depends on what you compare it to.

20 minutes ago, Ejestivals said:

Serious question. Have you been to any other festivals? I found IOW to have very little to offer other than the main stage and the big top compared to, for instance, Bestival.

Obviously compared to a festival like V, Isle of Wight has plenty going on, so I suppose it depends on what you compare it to.

Agreed.

The IOW has very little else to offer if the acts are rubbish. It's a pretty poor festival tbh

7 minutes ago, galbani said:

That would be good, better than good actually.... but what makes you think Eagles?

it's in the daily star.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/goss/660415/Matt-Terry-wants-to-take-over-Olly-Murs-The-Voice-judge

It might be wrong, the guy who's credited for it doesn't have a great rep, but I know there's some sound sidekicks there too.

I'm happy with Depeche Mode if it happens not sure about the Eagles though. 

Imagine Dragons are touring next year could they be on the Lineup? I assume not if the announcements are to be made beginning of December as there tour hasn't sold out in the UK yet.

I was looking for camping in the Respect camping field but looking on the IOW Festival website it has disappeared does anyone know anything about it? 

15 hours ago, _JohnConnell said:

Billy Joel?

Bill Joel is exclusively doing Old Trafford in the UK so he’s out. Would otherwise be a decent shout.

2 hours ago, Often Smashing Pumpkins said:

David Byrne, Skunk Anasie and Queens of the stone age for INmusic fest in croatia the week after IOW. Would/could QOTSA or Bryne headline?

Think yr more likely to see David Gray than David Byrne at IOW.

• Like 1