Jump to content
RATM

Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Muppetmark said:

a 60 quid reduction helps with the travel costs. 

That’s for sure, no doubt subsidised by the campervan tickets which are obscene.

IOWF surely need to do some sort of deal with the ferries, travel costs surely put people off, whatever you think of the festival, people enjoy it, but It never sells out, travel costs must be a factor., especially if you are in a Motorhome, £200 for the cv ticket and £200+ for the ferry ticket is far too much, not everyone who goes in a Motorhome is rich.

they say the cv field sells out but in the 2 years I stayed there there’s been plenty of space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought tickets earlier and it was a very quick & easy process but much less satisfying then getting tickets for Glastonbury -_-.

I see the campervan tickets are £220 and £320 with hookup + fees, seems expensive but they've sold out already.

Here's hoping for a decent lineup and some sun :sungum:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are taking the piss with the cv tickets now, we have decided not to go because of that, we are altready going to Kendal calling and probably latitude so that will do for next year. 

how can IOW justify £236 for cv ticket when Glastonbury is £100 and latitude £60? Rip off merchants, silly money when you consider you also get ripped off by the same amount for the ferry.

they are definitely using the campervan users to subsidise the general tickets, they want to charge everyone more but who would pay more for IOW than Glastonbury, so keep the tickets lower and fleece the campervaners.

Edited by Smeble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Henrik said:

Wow! IOW residents tickets are £105

Couldn't turn that down.

Blimey that cheap, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Economics unfortunately.

If the CV tickets sell out so quickly... they're too cheap.

I don't agree with it, but I don't have a CV.

We do splash out on a hotel. That, and the car ferry both come to about the same as the CV though

We bitten the bullet and bought. Fingers crossed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't go this year after going the previous nine but have purchased for next year. With no Glasto on, and the fact I could get a islander rate ticket through a friend, decided to go for it. £116 including fees is pretty good. Hoping the Live Nation influence improves the line-ups compared to the previous few years which were getting very poor.

Even if it isn't a great line-up, for that price I will at least have a good weekend with friends/family without feeling I've been ripped off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, galbani said:

Economics unfortunately.

If the CV tickets sell out so quickly... they're too cheap.

I don't agree with it, but I don't have a CV.

We do splash out on a hotel. That, and the car ferry both come to about the same as the CV though

We bitten the bullet and bought. Fingers crossed.

They sell out because there aren’t many of them, certainly not because they are too cheap, that’s a hilarious notion. They charge what the do, because they can get away with it, and so they can subsidise the entrance tickets. If you think £236 for a cv ticket is too cheap then you have a very skewed notion of money.

Edited by Smeble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That, unfortunately, is economics.... I still suspect that if they added another £50 to the cost they'd still sell out... might take a little longer but they'd still go - precisely because there aren't that many - it's a limited commodity.

They'd sell out at £20 in a moment, they also sell out quickly at £236.... if you were selling them - as a commercial venture - which is what the festival is - what would you rather they go for? It's about revenue maximisation. They need to make money to keep themselves in a job, to make the festival worthwhile, to pay the council, police, artists etc etc.

As I mentioned - I don't agree with it. but it's market driven. Fair pricing would be good. But what's fair?

If people didn't buy the CV tickets at this prices - the price would, eventually, come down... possibly....

As for subsidising the entrance tickets... how many CV tickets are there? 100? Discount the £230 CV ticket to £100. That'll give you £136 x 100 = £14k. How many entrance tickets? 50000? That's a 28p per ticket discount....

I think my notion of money is pretty level. I buy a weekend ticket. Includes camping. I pay for a hotel. £100/night or so. 

For me, that's comfort and value for which I'm prepared to pay! Same with the CV.

Apologies for being brutally honest but that's just the way it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the Pearl Jam forum they're not playing Hyde Park. Their tour supposedly starts a few days before Pinkpop in mid-June so it looks like it'll either be IOW or their own shows.

Edit: Although they seem to be expecting areno shows here as opposed to festivals. I guess that's what the plan apparently was the other year when they cancelled their planned tour.

Edited by Will-2609

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 4:28 PM, galbani said:

That, unfortunately, is economics.... I still suspect that if they added another £50 to the cost they'd still sell out... might take a little longer but they'd still go - precisely because there aren't that many - it's a limited commodity.

They'd sell out at £20 in a moment, they also sell out quickly at £236.... if you were selling them - as a commercial venture - which is what the festival is - what would you rather they go for? It's about revenue maximisation. They need to make money to keep themselves in a job, to make the festival worthwhile, to pay the council, police, artists etc etc.

As I mentioned - I don't agree with it. but it's market driven. Fair pricing would be good. But what's fair?

If people didn't buy the CV tickets at this prices - the price would, eventually, come down... possibly....

As for subsidising the entrance tickets... how many CV tickets are there? 100? Discount the £230 CV ticket to £100. That'll give you £136 x 100 = £14k. How many entrance tickets? 50000? That's a 28p per ticket discount....

I think my notion of money is pretty level. I buy a weekend ticket. Includes camping. I pay for a hotel. £100/night or so. 

For me, that's comfort and value for which I'm prepared to pay! Same with the CV.

Apologies for being brutally honest but that's just the way it is.

All of what you say would make sense if their cv tickets were in line with other festivals, but they aren’t even close.

they charge what they want because they seem to have a very dedicated audience who seem quite happy to pay more for a cv ticket than for the admission ticket, and don’t seem to mind being ripped off.

charging 4 times what latitude do for exactly the same thing is undeniably taking the piss, if people are prepared to pay it then fine, crack on, but enough is enough we are going elsewhere, Add the £236 to the £250 the ferry will charge us and that will pay for another festival. I’d rather go to a festival that I don’t feel like I’m being ripped off by. We very nearly didn’t go last year because of the huge price hike of the cv ticket from the previous year, it’s not that we cant pay it, we just aren’t going to.

even compared to camping at a fully serviced campsite with hookup and hot showers( neither of which you get at IOW) it’s an utter ripoff, 4 nights camping would at most be £85-£90.

Also just noticed that they are charging people exactly the same for using their own ink and paper to print off e tickets and having actual tickets delivered, ok it’s only £3.25 but it’s another illustration of the attitude they have to their customers.

Edited by Smeble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Giddings has said in the local paper that there will be a line-up announcement this month.

Next Friday (24th) would be my guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Henrik said:

John Giddings has said in the local paper that there will be a line-up announcement this month.

Next Friday (24th) would be my guess. 

i'd probably pick any other day before a friday, as they tend to be ticket sales day for an announcement in the days before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 4:28 PM, galbani said:

That, unfortunately, is economics.... I still suspect that if they added another £50 to the cost they'd still sell out... might take a little longer but they'd still go - precisely because there aren't that many - it's a limited commodity.

They'd sell out at £20 in a moment, they also sell out quickly at £236.... if you were selling them - as a commercial venture - which is what the festival is - what would you rather they go for? It's about revenue maximisation. They need to make money to keep themselves in a job, to make the festival worthwhile, to pay the council, police, artists etc etc.

As I mentioned - I don't agree with it. but it's market driven. Fair pricing would be good. But what's fair?

If people didn't buy the CV tickets at this prices - the price would, eventually, come down... possibly....

As for subsidising the entrance tickets... how many CV tickets are there? 100? Discount the £230 CV ticket to £100. That'll give you £136 x 100 = £14k. How many entrance tickets? 50000? That's a 28p per ticket discount....

I think my notion of money is pretty level. I buy a weekend ticket. Includes camping. I pay for a hotel. £100/night or so. 

For me, that's comfort and value for which I'm prepared to pay! Same with the CV.

Apologies for being brutally honest but that's just the way it is.

Saying that CV tickets have sold out is telling a little lie. They continually add more tickets, so that when they are available, people who want them snap them up before they 'sell out' again. I've been a few times and if I remember correctly, a few years ago CV ticket prices were as high as they are now, so my group chose to camp. After a bit of a backlash, the following year the CV ticket prices were reduced dramatically, so we went in my VW. That first year there was plenty of room left at the back of the CV field, enough in fact for a coach sized winnebago to fit easily with nobody else anywhere near it. Apparently they had sold out that year too!

We've stopped going over to the island now for festivals (we used to go to Bestival too), because we were sick of being fleeced by the ferry companies and by the festival for a CV ticket.

Edited by Ejestivals
clarification
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Henrik said:

John Giddings has said in the local paper that there will be a line-up announcement this month.

Next Friday (24th) would be my guess. 

They've already stated on the iow Facebook page that the first line up announcement will be on the 28th November 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk about the cv prices. Just don't go in a cv then.  The cv parking area is bloody miles from the atmosphere - come on,  get your tents out and slum it a bit like the rest of us.  oh and BTW there are hot showers,  OK they're a quid but they're as good as any cv shower and it's a good atmosphere in the short queue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EB ticket sale finishes on the 28th.... would he announce the lineup before the 28th? Defeats the object of EB sales - tempting punters with a discount to buy a pig in a poke? If it's a fantastic line-up (yeah right!) then the whole thing will sell out in seconds at a discount!

Smeble - 'they charge what they want because they seem to have a very dedicated audience who seem quite happy to pay more for a cv ticket than for the admission ticket, and don’t seem to mind being ripped off'.

Yep - and they will do this for as long as it continues. Why wouldn't they?

You have a choice, and you've exercised that by not attending. Other CVers will fill your place until they feel the need, for whatever reason, to move on to something else.

I'm sure you've looked in to this - localish campsites? Taxis to the coast £15 or so. PITA at midnight though trying to find one.... £120 taxis for the four nights. Knock this off the £236 for the IoW fest camping = £116 (or £30/night) - makes it a bit more palatable but this is probably how they work out the cost for the convenience of on site CV tickets. It's not worth the hassle of camping remotely, trying to find a cab, losing the convenience of wandering back to the MH for lunch, being able to drive to the campsite with everything on board, no lugging camping equipment etc etc...

I don't disagree that it's expensive but they set the price, the punter decides whether or not it represents value....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ooxld said:

All this talk about the cv prices. Just don't go in a cv then.  The cv parking area is bloody miles from the atmosphere - come on,  get your tents out and slum it a bit like the rest of us.  oh and BTW there are hot showers,  OK they're a quid but they're as good as any cv shower and it's a good atmosphere in the short queue. 

Been there done that, why would I go to a festival in a tent when I have a Motorhome? Glastonbury I would but that’s a whole different animal, and if by atmosphere you mean kids with NOS, overflowing toilets and tents getting slashed and stuff stolen then no thanks. We went in a tent in 2015 and whilst we didn’t have any issues, 3 tents by us all got slashed. After we  bought a cheap Motorhome we used that in 2016 and 2017, can’t think of anything we missed out on by going in a Motorhome, made friends with those around us as we do at all festivals we go 2, but added bonus of a comfy bed, cold beer, fresh running water. The walk to out Motorhome was actually shorter than where we ended up in 2015 in our tent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, galbani said:

EB ticket sale finishes on the 28th.... would he announce the lineup before the 28th? Defeats the object of EB sales - tempting punters with a discount to buy a pig in a poke? If it's a fantastic line-up (yeah right!) then the whole thing will sell out in seconds at a discount!

Smeble - 'they charge what they want because they seem to have a very dedicated audience who seem quite happy to pay more for a cv ticket than for the admission ticket, and don’t seem to mind being ripped off'.

Yep - and they will do this for as long as it continues. Why wouldn't they?

You have a choice, and you've exercised that by not attending. Other CVers will fill your place until they feel the need, for whatever reason, to move on to something else.

I'm sure you've looked in to this - localish campsites? Taxis to the coast £15 or so. PITA at midnight though trying to find one.... £120 taxis for the four nights. Knock this off the £236 for the IoW fest camping = £116 (or £30/night) - makes it a bit more palatable but this is probably how they work out the cost for the convenience of on site CV tickets. It's not worth the hassle of camping remotely, trying to find a cab, losing the convenience of wandering back to the MH for lunch, being able to drive to the campsite with everything on board, no lugging camping equipment etc etc...

I don't disagree that it's expensive but they set the price, the punter decides whether or not it represents value....

 

Jeez you really don’t get it do you, if £236 was the going rate or they provide something that others don’t then it would be a fair price, but it’s not and they don’t. Bearing in mind the Festival nearly didn’t happen last year you would think they would be trying to encourage people to go, the cv field doesn’t sell out, despite what they may say, 2016 it was barely 2/3 full and that was at a much lower price, last year there was less space but still not much better than 3/4 full, the punters are deciding if it’s value or not and are deciding it’s not 

when you bear in mind that the ferries also ramp up their prices for the duration of the festival, IOW is quickly becoming the ripoff Festival,  if we had travelled out on the Wednesday and come back Tuesday we could have saved £100 but I was tight on holiday due to other festivals and a family holiday so couldn’t. The festival never sells out and neither does the cv field, the ferry prices and cv prices need to be lower to help things other wise more will go elsewhere and the festival will go bust.

i spoke to at least 4 people in the cv field this year who had had enough of the cost and were going elsewhere, probably Bestival as no ferries involved now, people also speculated that the price is Unusually high to dissuade people from going in campervans as they don’t actually want them on site, that’s fine if true, I’ll just go to a different festival. We are going to Kendal calling next year and probably latitude both of which offer good value for money and no ripoff ferries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calm down dear, it's only an internet forum!

I really do get it. Really. I promise! Let me try again to explain...

£236 is the going rate. It's the going rate for the IoW festival CV field. That's all that matters.

You either buy or you don't. You have a choice. Limited supply, big demand. It may not be fair (in your opinion) but it's the price they set. You choose to buy or you don't. If nobody buys, as has been mentioned previously, the price comes down. If they sell all the tickets, the price may well stay the same or even go up.

Whether or not it looked 2/3 full doesn't matter. They will have a licence for x number of CVs. No more. If that only half fills the field then so what? That's all they are allowed to sell.

If the festival was massively oversubscribed - do you think they'd keep the prices at £220? Absolutely not. The price would go up, and up, until ticket sales started to drop off. Then they'd level off.

£220 is the going rate for the IoW weekend festival ticket. Not all the tickets sell. They cleverly match the demand with the ticket price for revenue maximisation.... with little tempters like early bird tickets to get a bit of cash flow up front...

Again - supply and demand. In this instance - less demand and more supply - this keeps the cost of the ticket at the point it is (and absolutely not subsidised by the CV tickets!).

This, my friend, is economics.

You may not like it, but that's the way it is. You have exercised your right to choose.

Like flight prices increasing during school holidays. Supply (limited) and Demand (high) - prices go up.

Or ferry prices during the IoW festival weekend.. the prices go up, with small  discounts outside the popular travel times...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks as if Pearl Jam might be doing two nights at the O2 instead of festivals. I've only seen it on the PJ forum but I remember they were scheduled to have two nights at the O2 on their last plotted tour before it was cancelled, and also the last has been corroborated by others privy to the information. Makes sense I guess and I suppose there are a lot of potential names for IOW anyway so we'll have to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2017 at 7:51 PM, Smeble said:

Been there done that, why would I go to a festival in a tent when I have a Motorhome? Glastonbury I would but that’s a whole different animal, and if by atmosphere you mean kids with NOS, overflowing toilets and tents getting slashed and stuff stolen then no thanks. We went in a tent in 2015 and whilst we didn’t have any issues, 3 tents by us all got slashed. After we  bought a cheap Motorhome we used that in 2016 and 2017, can’t think of anything we missed out on by going in a Motorhome, made friends with those around us as we do at all festivals we go 2, but added bonus of a comfy bed, cold beer, fresh running water. The walk to out Motorhome was actually shorter than where we ended up in 2015 in our tent

Fair enough, you've clearly more CV experience than me. The toilets in the camping areas have been fine last two years (unless you stupidly go to those near the burger vans) but i do get your point about lugging stuff to campsite, it's a pain although you do only do the journey twice, and on the way home it's obviously lighter luggage (no alcohol). Comfy bed sounds good though and my misses would go in a CV if we had one. For me I spend most of my holidays in hotels so camping it Bear Grylls style is part of the appeal and I take f@k all in my tent worth nicking. I personally think the ferry is the biggest rip off for larger vehicles, if it wasn't for the festival no bugger would be going to iow in June as it's outside of school holidays.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.