Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

They're not even announcing any of the fringe stages or areas yet which is annoying. Having recently been in touch with Cirque de La Quirk and Hipshaker, who both run great areas/stages at the iow, neither could confirm that they would be there this year.  It all seems a bit last minute this year. I don't mind a bit of extra camping space and dancing space but I don't wanna be at an empty festival!!!! 

15 hours ago, ooxld said:

They're not even announcing any of the fringe stages or areas yet which is annoying. Having recently been in touch with Cirque de La Quirk and Hipshaker, who both run great areas/stages at the iow, neither could confirm that they would be there this year.  It all seems a bit last minute this year. I don't mind a bit of extra camping space and dancing space but I don't wanna be at an empty festival!!!! 

It all screams Live Nation for me.... Similar things happened when they stuck their ore in V Festival. Loads of cool things that the festival used to do went out the window and the line ups started to become quite poor... They are in it to make it as profitable as possible, so they cut as much of the costs as possible and make the most profit possible. Good for their business, bad for a festival. 

On 06/02/2018 at 5:35 PM, ooxld said:

I don't think Hipshaker was there last year which is a shame it was one of the best areas in 2015/16.

That's correct,  Hipshaker weren't asked to be there last year despite it being one of the best areas in my view.  A few weeks ago they advised me that John Giddings had said to them,  when not booking them for last year,  that it would only be a miss for that year. However,  they're still waiting to hear about this year. Last minute notice will cause them difficulty booking acts.   They had an area last year called Old Kiwi Moat which was a bit more chilled that Hipshaker,  held far less people and no stage built up so you couldn't really see who was playing.  Hipshaker area would be far better. 

On 09/02/2018 at 1:40 PM, HattersBoy said:

I don't think Hipshaker was there last year which is a shame it was one of the best areas in 2015/16.

Conversation with Hipshaker on Facebook today. Annie Horne replied (iow project manager)  saying they're trying to sort something - as I said all a bit last minute.  Without the eclectic mix of random areas playing a mix of music the festival doesn't do it for me. 

Screenshot_20180211-160250.png

19 hours ago, rawaudioinput said:

I'm pretty sure Live Nation have been involved in V Festival since its inception

nope, they haven't.

It was owned by promoters MCD, SJM, & Metropolis, with a small Virgin stake.

Over the years MCD and LN got closer, and nowadays the guy who owned MCD is LN UK's chairman.

PS: live nation didn't even exist when V started. LN came into being via some mergers in the early 2000s.

Edited by eFestivals

6 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

Ah, my mistake. Whenabouts did LN begin to get involved then?

only about 5 years ago when they cosied up even tighter with Denis Desmond (MCD).  They've also recently bought Metropolis.

Festival Republic (originally half-owned by LN at its start, with Desmond owning the other half [not sure how it stands now]) started earlier (about 2004, as a guess) but that didn't own/control V until more recently (the 5-ish years I've said above).

Edited by eFestivals

22 hours ago, rawaudioinput said:

I'm pretty sure Live Nation have been involved in V Festival since its inception

To be honest I don't see what all the complaining is about when you have 3, if not 4 bona fide stadium headliners

Who goes to IOW for the undercard? No one likes Starsailor that much

They bought into it in 2013. And there are no stadium headliners...  they are arena headliners. Be surprised if any of them would sell a stadium out.  Not to say they are bad acts, they are good... just not "50th anniversary" good. 

Edited by Havors

40 minutes ago, Havors said:

They bought into it in 2013. And there are no stadium headliners...  they are arena headliners. Be surprised if any of them would sell a stadium out.  Not to say they are bad acts, they are good... just not "50th anniversary" good. 

Except Depeche Mode who sold out the London Stadium less than a year ago...

And The Killers who have headlined both Wembley Stadium and Hyde Park

And Kasabian who headlined King power Stadium for a two night stand.

But other than that lot, you're right.

14 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Except Depeche Mode who sold out the London Stadium less than a year ago...

And The Killers who have headlined both Wembley Stadium and Hyde Park

And Kasabian who headlined King power Stadium for a two night stand.

But other than that lot, you're right.

Fair point... :) I still stand by them not all being "50th anniversary" calibre headliners though. 

Even Brighton Pride managed to announce a headline act which was such a koo that it made national press (Britney Spears) .  Now whether you like Britney or not it made national headlines. Great publicity.  Iow announcement was more of a whimper than a bang.!!

6 minutes ago, ooxld said:

Even Brighton Pride managed to announce a headline act which was such a koo that it made national press (Britney Spears) .  Now whether you like Britney or not it made national headlines. Great publicity.  Iow announcement was more of a whimper than a bang.!!

Thats another strange thing this year.... the lack of any other announcement... IOW is one of the first big festivals of the year and ones like Bestival which is in September have already announced. In past years the lineup for IOW has usually well been released or most of it. 

I think Depeche Mode is a bit of a scoop.

It would be good to see someone decent on the Thursday, I'm thinking Tears for Fears or PiL. The younger festival goers would probably not be too impressed with them though.

It's very difficult to please everyone, if they'd got Pink Floyd back together some people would still moan. :wink: