Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

It’s 15-20 min in clear traffic, plus a few minutes to get through security, takes longer getting back in the evening when the arena empties. It can be longer if it’s muddy, but in my experience it doesn’t get Glastonbury muddy (although I missed the fun and games in 2012 when the weather was biblical) 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2018 at 9:58 PM, Smeble said:

It’s 15-20 min in clear traffic, plus a few minutes to get through security, takes longer getting back in the evening when the arena empties. It can be longer if it’s muddy, but in my experience it doesn’t get Glastonbury muddy (although I missed the fun and games in 2012 when the weather was biblical) 

Dont mention Glasto.... I am suffering badly from withdrawal.... bloody fallow years! screw the grass I need glasto! :D

Soooo I managed to get blocked by John Giddings on twitter.... for tagging him in a tweet with a link to Mad Cool festival stating his headliners for IOW50 are the sub headliners for Mad Cool....

@JohnGiddings01 @IsleOfWightFest This is a lineup worthy of a "50th Anniversary". Your headliners are their sub headliners.... And its cheaper! :( Pull your fingers out guys or you will go the way of V festival.

haha the truth hurts it seems....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Havors said:

@JohnGiddings01 @IsleOfWightFest This is a lineup worthy of a "50th Anniversary". Your headliners are their sub headliners.... And its cheaper! :( Pull your fingers out guys or you will go the way of V festival.

haha the truth hurts it seems....

Well, that's not exactly true, is it? Only one of IOW's 4 headliners are subbing at MadCool. At the moment the MadCool line-up blows all competition out of the water, but we're yet to see the IOW undercard. I'm going to both.

But kudos for getting blocked. Gidding's twitter portrait is so naff, Alan Partridge would think twice before using it.

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Well, that's not exactly true, is it? Only one of IOW's 4 headliners are subbing at MadCool. At the moment the MadCool line-up blows all competition out of the water, but we're yet to see the IOW undercard. I'm going to both.

But kudos for getting blocked. Gidding's twitter portrait is so naff, Alan Partridge would think twice before using it.

Haha I know but he gets the gist. Depeche mode are "co" headliners and kasabian sub headliners. The killers and Liam wouldnt get a headline slot there either. :)

Don't get me wrong, I like the Killers and Kasabian, and Liam etc... but when you try to pass your festival off as a 50th anniversary and then put headliners that pale in comparison to a lot of the past 5 years you are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. 

This line up smacks of Live Nation and what they did to V Festival.... they killed that festival.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Havors said:

Haha I know but he gets the gist. Depeche mode are "co" headliners and kasabian sub headliners. The killers and Liam wouldnt get a headline slot there either. :)

Don't get me wrong, I like the Killers and Kasabian, and Liam etc... but when you try to pass your festival off as a 50th anniversary and then put headliners that pale in comparison to a lot of the past 5 years you are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. 

This line up smacks of Live Nation and what they did to V Festival.... they killed that festival.

I've made your exact point on here before and got shot down in flames.  People aren't getting that the disappointed from many iow festival regulars is that it was the organisers who built it up as a special 50th anniversary but the line up is nothing THAT special.  Of course I'm still going as the atmosphere will be great as usual, regardless who plays. 

I think by most standards the line-up is at the moment is pretty decent, but agree it does not live up to the '50th Anniversary' hype at all. Considering in just the couple of times I attended I saw the Stones and Muse in '07, and Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Petty in '12 - '18 does not match, let alone exceed those years.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think by most standards the line-up is at the moment is pretty decent, but agree it does not live up to the '50th Anniversary' hype at all. Considering in just the couple of times I attended I saw the Stones and Muse in '07, and Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Petty in '12 - '18 does not match, let alone exceed those years.

Yeah thats my feeling. Its not the worst line up... there are a couple of good acts. My disappointment comes from the fact in just the last  or so years they have had... The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Arcade Fire, The Prodigy, Chilli Peppers, Kings of Leon... Then when its the so called "50th" they hit us with acts that are not up to that level in my opinion. Kasabian and The Killers are like Live Nations default bands and shove them in every bloody festival every bloody year :) I have seen them both around 4 times just at festivals. 

Still I will enjoy the festival... 

• Upvote 1

Never mind who plays,  the whole 50th anniversary thing is a joke. 

The festival has only been going since 2002, the one in 1968 was a completely different Festival run by different people that just happens to have been on the same island as the modern one that is stealing its heritage. They are completely shameless.

11 hours ago, Smeble said:

Never mind who plays,  the whole 50th anniversary thing is a joke. 

The festival has only been going since 2002, the one in 1968 was a completely different Festival run by different people that just happens to have been on the same island as the modern one that is stealing its heritage. They are completely shameless.

Indeed... I have a bad feeling it is going to go the way of V Festival now that Live Nation have their hooks in it. They destroyed V festival trying to turn it into a capital fm summertime ball thingy with the same acts they represent over and over and over....

Oh god I hate glasto fallow year with a passion! haha 

14 minutes ago, Edduk98 said:

Anyone got any ideas on who will be at IOW other than the annouced acts?

Well, more than half the acts at IOW are at TRNSMT and it's around the same time, for the same crowd and also affiliated with Live Nation so I'd take some cues off that.

Otherwise it's less known because Isle of Wight used to book the same acts consistently because of the head promoter's booking agency, but since Live Nation stepped in he might have less of an influence.

3 minutes ago, BeauSEJOURMusic said:

Just booked my tickets! Can't wait! 

When do you think the next batch of acts will be announced? I have a feeling it could well be imminent. 
Personally, I'd like to see Everything Everything, Franz Ferdinand and Friendly Fires but I'm not sure if any of those really fit this year. 

Im hoping for Friendly Fires! Made up they are making a come back :) Everything Everything are awesome so would be pleased with them. As for Franz Ferdinand..... oh god I hope not :D

They will surely have to announce something soon... the tickets are just not shifting. Probably due to their bullshit "50th" and sub par headliners for said 50th. 

• Downvote 2

On 2/2/2018 at 1:44 PM, Havors said:

Im hoping for Friendly Fires! Made up they are making a come back :) Everything Everything are awesome so would be pleased with them. As for Franz Ferdinand..... oh god I hope not :D

They will surely have to announce something soon... the tickets are just not shifting. Probably due to their bullshit "50th" and sub par headliners for said 50th. 

how do you know tickets not shifting.maybe opposite and so dont have to announce as much so early

On 03/02/2018 at 2:27 PM, galbani said:

Havors - how do you know that the tickets are not shifting?

Not that I want them to sell out really - I'd prefer an undersold fest - more room / space / smaller queues etc! Very selfish I know!

The fact they haven't sold out in over 3 months on sale.....  I don't mind it not selling out either haha! I just dont want it to be like V Festival were they halved the campsites and car parks it become so weak... the festival felt empty in its last few years.

20 hours ago, retrokev said:

how do you know tickets not shifting.maybe opposite and so dont have to announce as much so early

Possibly... Doubt it though :) More likely they arent announcing because they are struggling to book/afford acts or they know if they full announce and its shit they wont shift any tickets at all :) The festival has had much noted problems over the last few years with cost... think thats why Live Nation got involved.

Edited by Havors

5 hours ago, Havors said:

The fact they haven't sold out in over 3 months on sale.....  I don't mind it not selling out either haha! I just dont want it to be like V Festival were they halved the campsites and car parks it become so weak... the festival felt empty in its last few years.

Possibly... Doubt it though :) More likely they arent announcing because they are struggling to book/afford acts or they know if they full announce and its shit they wont shift any tickets at all :) The festival has had much noted problems over the last few years with cost... think thats why Live Nation got involved.

Why would it sell out in 3 months when it doesn’t normally sell out at all?

41 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Why would it sell out in 3 months when it doesn’t normally sell out at all?

If there is anyone of any pull the day tickets will usually sell out... well this is true for other festivals not sure about Isle of wight. The point is the headliners are very run of the mill and don't scream 50th anniversary (which it actually isn't anyway).

Go from bands like, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Chilli Peppers, Foo Fighters, Bruce Springsteen, Kings of Leon, Queen, Arcade Fire, Stone Roses... as your normal headliners year after year... to this years... a couple of which aren't making a headline slot at another festival.

Not that it wont be a good festival, I am going regardless of who is on, its just a little disappointing this year of all years appears to be generic headliners. 

I totally agree about the whole (non) 50th anniversary thing, it’s bullshit. But the point I’m making is why do you say a Festival is struggling to shift tickets just because it hasn’t hasn’t sold out after 3 months, even with the headliners you mention it doesn’t sell out at all so why should this years sell out at all never mind inside of 3 months?

10 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I totally agree about the whole (non) 50th anniversary thing, it’s bullshit. But the point I’m making is why do you say a Festival is struggling to shift tickets just because it hasn’t hasn’t sold out after 3 months, even with the headliners you mention it doesn’t sell out at all so why should this years sell out at all never mind inside of 3 months?

Like I just said.... if someone like Stone Roses or Beyonce are on, then the day tickets will usually sell out quickly... in most of my experience from other festivals. Isle of Wight may be different... but who knows?

It is just an indication that none of them headliners are going to sell tickets for their respective day. It's not fact or gospel... just an indication we can use. 

26 minutes ago, Havors said:

If there is anyone of any pull the day tickets will usually sell out... well this is true for other festivals not sure about Isle of wight.

I think that's far too vague to have any real meaning. Reading & Leeds have had years where they've not sold out of day tickets. Download last year hadn't sold out of Sunday tickets when I looked at it a couple weeks beforehand.

Presumably none of us know what percentage of tickets are allocated as day or weekend, and as far as I can tell none of us know how close either type are to selling out.

With most festivals to a degree, but especially in the case of IOW - "selling out" isn't necessarily the measure of success - they'll have set the budget based on attracting a particular number and that number could be well below sold out - At IOW the nominal (licenced) capacity is far higher than they've ever attracted in the past - I think something like 85,000 and they can scale the site up and down as suits based on ticket sales. So the measure of success is how far past (or short of) break even they end up being. If for example they budgeted for 40,000 tickets sold and end up at 60,000 then the organisers will be doing cartwheels, even though they've got more than a third of tickets unsold.

23 hours ago, Havors said:

Like I just said.... if someone like Stone Roses or Beyonce are on, then the day tickets will usually sell out quickly...

That's not true at all. It never sells out of day tickets, or weekend for that matter. I live just down the road and can always walk along and pick a ticket up.

Not looking good this year. I honestly think it's a dying festival. I only have a ticket as they were practically giving them away to locals. They're really struggling. I would not be at all surprised if this was its last year. 

1 minute ago, Henrik said:

That's not true at all. It never sells out of day tickets, or weekend for that matter. I live just down the road and can always walk along and pick a ticket up.

Not looking good this year. I honestly think it's a dying festival. I only have a ticket as they were practically giving them away to locals. They're really struggling. I would not be at all surprised if this was its last year. 

Read my post again.... not just the first sentence which you have quoted... :) I said from my experience of other festivals not Isle of Wight.