Bilbao BBK

Baby On A Stick

Fellow Glastoanans, we're thinking about next year's fallow June and fancied some sun. Benicàssim has always been on the bucket list but we thought about Bilbao instead. Seems a bit cheaper and the recent line ups were a bit better (in our humble opinion). Anyone got any experience/ recommendations for BBK? 

What's the city like pre/ after the festival for a nice hol? Not excepting anything like Glasto but how's the festival site? (We did Summercase in Barcelona ten years ago & loved that). Is it mainly Spanish, or a mix of nations? What sort of crowd, young or a goood mix?  

Thanks in advance x

Edited by Baby On A Stick

I went last year and it was great!

The campsite is up a hill from the town and is a trek to walk but there are free shuttles. Similarly the festival arena is about halfway down the hill, worth getting the shuttle to and from.

Bilbao is a really cool town esp. during festival time and the basque country in general is just amazing. Really verdant hilly countryside with stunning coast and the gastronomy is second to none with pintxos, seafood, txakoli and basque cider being highlights.

We made a holiday of it and had a look around the region including a trip to the San Fermin festival at Pamplona which is often at a similar time to BBK.

One downside of BBK is that you can't take alcohol into the arena and with it being a shuttle ride away from the campsite you need to plan predrinking carefully or be willing to buy booze inside. I think it was about 8/9 euro for a litre of kalimotxo inside which is a local drink of half cheap red wine, half coca cola. So dear but you do get half a litre of wine. There are smaller measures of course at different prices but I mainly stuck to the kalimotxo.

Anyway - would recommend.

Pretty much as mattiloy said. I didn't see the city of Bilbao really as I had flights to and from Madrid and an Alsa bus there and back (went straight from the airport on the way, stayed in Madrid for a night afterwards) but the festival is excellent.

The campsite was great for chilling in the day in the sun at the top of the hill, you can bring your booze to there from the supermarkets in the city that are really cheap (~30p for a stubby can of San Mig, £1 for the cheapest litre of wine etc.) and there is a supermarket in the campsite that I thought was excellent value for food (e.g. bread and meats/cheese) as well as bars and food vendors.

I thought the shuttle buses were very well run and frequent. The festival arena itself and music were all brilliant. Food and drink in the arena is more expensive as you can imagine, though there are guys with the beer jetpacks that walk around even near the front of crowds which is really handy!

Thoroughly recommend it!

Weather wasn't that great last year. Was less than 20 and rained a bit (not during the fest but the supposed pool day the day after). Fest site is lovely, very green. They do the European staggered stage thing with no clashes and constant bands if you just move back and forth between the main stages all night. V good fest if you like the line-up! Smaller stages were fun too, especially the small rave-in-the-woods one.

Haven't been to festival but my sis is in Bilbao at present and says it's a nice city. Also you are in shooting distance of San Sebastián which is lovely beach town with awesome food and is pretty chilled out. Could think of worse places to sweat out post festival blues than there ha