V Festival banning stage times?

Matt42

9 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Interesting ,I was at BST least weekend and got there early , walked into the front pit, got a wristband went back out again, . Could then wander in and out of the the front pit all day. There as a premium view to the right hand side of the front circle, but it wasn't as good view 

Different for different shows, some of them monetise those wristbands, but it was the loigistics of wristbanding access to those areas I really meant, once you work out a system of controlling who gets in and out then putting a price on that is easy

(also, unless it's changed since I last went, V doesn't even have a pit marked off by a barrier, so they'd obviously need to bring that in first!)

Edited by Zac Quinn

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At BST for the killers the pit was free access until it reached a pre-determined capacity. They issued pit-wristbands if you left and you couldn't get back in unless you had either the pit-wristband or VIP-wristband (VIP area was a raised platform with a roof to the side of the stage).

But when I saw Madonna at Hyde park the pit was an extra £50 on ticket price (which I refuse to pay) I got on front rail after the "expensive" bit and during her entire set the pit was less than 1/4 full - must look shit from the stage (unless you're just counting the £££).

The pit should be for those that are prepared to turn up early to get in there, not a wallet waving privilege.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Ah great stuff.. I only thought about it because of this thread.... Go efestivals clashfinder. 

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

The Glastonbury programme is bigger, longer and better than the V Fest ones, it'd be much more justified to charge a premium for the Glastonbury ones (although still not justified enough)

Yea but as a lot of festivals are..... If we were to believe them.... Struggling for dollars it would not surprise me to see something like this.... 

There is a price on the large Glastonbury festival program and you can buy more of them if you want - they are currently included in the ticket price, but that could change in the future.

Glastonbury would be an hopeless mess without the small program (and in my case a printout of clashfinder in the tent) - there's just too much going on, the site is so large and you still can't 100% rely on the smartphone app.

V - however you can walk around the entire site quicker than you can walk from pyramid to park. We'll probably club together and buy one between us so it'll only cost £2 each and post the times straight up to facebook/twitter using "Virgin mobile".- the irony.....

Edited by Penrhos

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

There is a price on the large Glastonbury festival program and you can buy more of them if you want - they are currently included in the ticket price, but that could change in the future.

It was said in another thread that the price on the programme is likely to get around VAT - if they're giving it away free (or "in the price of the ticket") they can say it's "worth" as much as they like, within reason, for tax relief. It's noticeably absent from the excess stock sold on the webstore, and even it was for sale, no one would buy it for £28! If it was sold separately it'd likely be £10 in line with other festivals (unless they really wanted to capitalise on it being an exclusive souvenir).

...is it still £10 for programme and lanyard at other festivals? It's been quite some years since I've been to a festival with that model.

Edited by fowls

9 minutes ago, fowls said:

It was said in another thread that the price on the programme is likely to get around VAT - if they're giving it away free (or "in the price of the ticket") they can say it's "worth" as much as they like, within reason, for tax relief. It's noticeably absent from the excess stock sold on the webstore, and even it was for sale, no one would buy it for £28! If it was sold separately it'd likely be £10 in line with other festivals (unless they really wanted to capitalise on it being an exclusive souvenir).

...is it still £10 for programme and lanyard at other festivals? It's been quite some years since I've been to a festival with that model.

Still £10 at R&L and V and the same for a programme at your big football finals.. so seems to be pretty standard although as I said earlier in the thread the Glastonbury programme is a lot more substantial than any of the above, if they were to charge a fair price for it in terms of the market it'd be worth at least £15 I think 

I've looked at V Festival lineup. It's probably best they don't tell people who's playing. 

Joking aside, they're clearly trying to stop people selling photocopies of the set times, thus denying V further profit. 

Surely V is on its last legs. Was at Arcade Fire with my mate, the last V he went to had Morrissey and Radiohead. It's changed, times changed, then V seemingly gave up. Shame, as it wasn't that bad 10-15 years back. 

5 hours ago, fowls said:

..is it still £10 for programme and lanyard at other festivals? It's been quite some years since I've been to a festival with that model.

It is at Camp Bestival, so Bestival too Is imagine. I remember the first time we went being gobsmacked at the cheek of it....my expectation from Glasto was they were free!

I've been going to V for years and it's gradually got worse & worse. If I hadn't bought tickets when it was stupidly cheap to get two I wouldn't be going, its the exact opposite of the Glasto ethos.

This will be the last year I'll go to V, its just too full of NED's and has a lineup to match.

Will be looking at Lattitude, IOW, Boomtown and Bestival next year - then concentrate on Glasto for 2019/2020.

All the other festivals I've been to its been £10 for a program but all the stage times are posted next to the stages as well.

Edited by Penrhos

This makes me thinks of these silly questionnaires that you often get after attending a festivaI, where they are trying to find out how they can get more money out of you in the future. I generally do fill them in because I wouldn't mind winning a ticket to the following year's event, and I do like to give feedback on how disappointing sound overspill is, but these surveys are always so money-centered.

I go purely for the music and can only just about afford the festivals I attend, so am totally not interested in who sponsors the drinks, whether there are fancy camping and posh loo options, phone charging fascilities or any such-like.  Glastonbury is great in that respect. You can bring your own food and drink, the program is free and you don't get into trouble for printing a Clashfinder....

Edited by Watergirl

47 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

I've looked at V Festival lineup. It's probably best they don't tell people who's playing. 

Joking aside, they're clearly trying to stop people selling photocopies of the set times, thus denying V further profit. 

Surely V is on its last legs. Was at Arcade Fire with my mate, the last V he went to had Morrissey and Radiohead. It's changed, times changed, then V seemingly gave up. Shame, as it wasn't that bad 10-15 years back. 

Nah, they haven't given up, they've just changed their target demographic. Reading/Leeds have done the same. 

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

This makes me thinks of these silly questionnaires that you often get after attending a festivaI, where they are trying to find out how they can get more money out of you in the future. I generally do fill them in because I wouldn't mind winning a ticket to the following year's event, and I do like to give feedback on how disappointing sound overspill is, but these surveys are always so money-centered.

I go purely for the music and can only just about afford the festivals I attend, so am totally not interested in who sponsors the drinks, whether there are fancy camping and posh loo options, phone charging fascilities or any such-like.  Glastonbury is great in that respect. You can bring your own food and drink, the program is free and you don't get into trouble for printing a Clashfinder....

There was a survey recently for TRNSMT (the new T in the Park) and at least a quarter of the questions were about their sponsors.

2 hours ago, fowls said:

Nah, they haven't given up, they've just changed their target demographic. Reading/Leeds have done the same. 

V Fest have given up - Jay Z being at the top of the poster rather papers over the cracks this year, other than him it's very weak everywhere you look. All sorts of deals and competitions basically begging people to buy tickets this year, which presumably means it's doing even worse than in previous years when it was already half empty.. There's a gap in the market it fills in terms of big mainstream festivals in the Midlands that in theory should keep it afloat for a while, but they don't deserve that easy pass. Now the trams are up and running there's no reason for there not to be a TRNSMT-style festival within earshot of Birmingham City Centre (Wireless' attempt at a sister site at Perry Park doesn't count - that location is crap and they didn't try hard enough to market it).

3 hours ago, fowls said:

They haven't really changed their target demographic, it's more the tastes of that demographic have changed. Naturally the fests have to go with it.

9 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

V Fest have given up - Jay Z being at the top of the poster rather papers over the cracks this year, other than him it's very weak everywhere you look. All sorts of deals and competitions basically begging people to buy tickets this year, which presumably means it's doing even worse than in previous years when it was already half empty.. There's a gap in the market it fills in terms of big mainstream festivals in the Midlands that in theory should keep it afloat for a while, but they don't deserve that easy pass. Now the trams are up and running there's no reason for there not to be a TRNSMT-style festival within earshot of Birmingham City Centre (Wireless' attempt at a sister site at Perry Park doesn't count - that location is crap and they didn't try hard enough to market it).

The dream location is Sutton Park, you could fit the entire Glasto site in there. Although I somehow doubt the locals would take too kindly to it.

9 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Now the trams are up and running there's no reason for there not to be a TRNSMT-style festival within earshot of Birmingham City Centre (Wireless' attempt at a sister site at Perry Park doesn't count - that location is crap and they didn't try hard enough to market it).

Beyond The Tracks is as good as we're going to get, I think. No reason they could attract bigger acts if this year is a success.

Whilst this is bad in comparison to Glastonbury, really it's just a way of making the ticket price cheaper and more appealing and making the money back elsewhere. It's not much different to a lot of other festivals. I went the to Annie Mac festival in Malta a couple of years back, the ticket price was something like £90, but you had to pay something like €30 each day for any parties you wanted to go to, you had to pay for the shuttle bus too and from the main site, you had to pay for a lanyard, basically the main ticket price was only about half the cost of what it actually cost.

Glastonbury is in the fortunate position that it sells out within minutes, but most other festivals have to pay top dollar for the acts and then have to make the ticket look as cheap as possible to lure people in.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Further to my above post, I just checked the price for a weekend ticket and no suprise it's under £200 (£189). I'm sure they're desperate to keep the price under the £200 mark hence charging for lanyards etc.

Remember that's £189 for a 2 day Festival - in terms of value for money it'd still come up well short of just about every other 3+ day festival out there including Glastonbury, even if they weren't fleecing people on lanyards and other stuff we take for granted.

29 minutes ago, incident said:

Remember that's £189 for a 2 day Festival - in terms of value for money it'd still come up well short of just about every other 3+ day festival out there including Glastonbury, even if they weren't fleecing people on lanyards and other stuff we take for granted.

I 100% agree, compared to Glastonbury it's abysmal value, but in their defence they have to pay a lot more for acts than Glastonbury do, I'm sure Jay-z wasn't cheap

22 hours ago, fowls said:

Camp bestival is £10 for lanyard programme and stage times etc

Quite a few festivals don't publish stage times and then charge for the lanyard, here's a tip, go to the mixing desk, the sound man will almost always have a printed list at the side readable from a distance, take a pic or write them down. Won't work for a big multi stage festival but for the smaller ones with just 1 or 2 big stages it can be worth the effort.