V Festival banning stage times?

Matt42

Hope this is just misinformed or April fools day has come early

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/v-festival-2017-bans-revellers-13324834

guess this just puts into perspective how good we have it at glastonbury - and how corporate a festival can become if the organisers become money obsessed.

i would of thought considering V has had a rocky few years they'd want to avoid stuff like this in their press?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

What a horrendous festival. If Glastonbury highlights the best of left wing values, then V is truly a festival fit for this Tory era.

Surely people can just have the information saved on their phones though? 

Exactly - what a useless thing to try and ban. I'm hoping someone corrects me and tells me that this isn't true.

not like I'm arsed, i'd never go to V. But it's a sad reflection of how music festivals are going...

some newbies who came to glasto with me this year were stunned at the fact we could bring our own booze about and got free programs. The fact that this is shocking to some people is rather depressing if you think about it

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly - what a useless thing to try and ban. I'm hoping someone corrects me and tells me that this isn't true.

not like I'm arsed, i'd never go to V. But it's a sad reflection of how music festivals are going...

some newbies who came to glasto with me this year were stunned at the fact we could bring our own booze about and got free programs. The fact that this is shocking to some people is rather depressing if you think about it

The booze thing is pretty wondrous in all fairness. The vast majority of events which sell booze, whether they be smallish or large corporate things don't just let you bring your own booze in and crack it open.

The programmes thing though...yeah that shouldn't be impressive at all. 

1 hour ago, arcade fireman said:

What a horrendous festival. If Glastonbury highlights the best of left wing values, then V is truly a festival fit for this Tory era.

Surely people can just have the information saved on their phones though? 

I'm not that Left-wing at all but this is truly delusional. How can they possibly justify this course of action!? 

"I'm afraid your favourite artist played 2 hours ago due to our stupefied set time announcement scheme " 

V-Fest is a true waste of time to the festival industry altogether, musics shite and the festivals ethos is even shittier.

I got tickets when they had the 2 for 1 offer because its just 40 miles down the road from me.

It's just becoming an English TiTp - full of NED's and a rip off once you enter the Arena.

I'll be taking clashfinder printout and they can 100% stick their program and merchandise up their corporate arse...

Funny thing is the TiTp tees and the V tees last year were identical apart from the logo - that alone says enough...

I won't be going again unless I'm desperate to see a headliner that isn't touring or playing any other festival (apart from TiTp or TRNSMT).

Glasto or bust for me....

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think it's about people going in with an eye on selling fake stage times and knock off merch, both of which the festival makes money off and could easily be undercut on. Reason being that it's on the list as 'unofficial stage times and merchandise' and I similarly wouldn't understand why they'd be checking the legitimacy of your band t-shirts. :lol:

Madness imo.. 

I hope some one on here.. Efestivals... Does a clashfinder for the people that go to V and do Efestivals as well... I know we're lucky enough to get one for Glastonbury.. 

I'm wandering now that we had to buy Glastonbury bags after Yeo pulled out whether in two years time you'll be having the same thing with programs ect..so all you get as you walk in is a little booklet and the neck thing..  Let's hope not but there always looking to make a little more money.. 

Won't someone think of the kids?

The ones that will become paranoid in the queue, scared that security will find the clashfinder taped to their ball bags? Quickly deciding to ditch it into the amnesty bin, 'I'm better off getting hold of something once we're in'

So with a sense of relief they get through the wrist band exchange and find a shady bloke called Frank who's selling line ups for £5 each or 5 for £20. But this only makes it more dangerous, they don't know how accurate the information they have bought is do they? They head to one stage and theyre not sure who is on. The line up might be working or it might not so they find another act to watch. By that time they are fully committed and have double read. This is the reason that all of these kids are ending up in dangerous situations.

If they just turned a blind eye and let everyone in with their own information then all of this could be avoided.

Seriously though this is a piss take. The principle of paying a premium to find out details of what you have already paid for is the height of exploiting a captive audience. 

40 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Madness imo.. 

I hope some one on here.. Efestivals... Does a clashfinder for the people that go to V and do Efestivals as well... I know we're lucky enough to get one for Glastonbury.. 

I'm wandering now that we had to buy Glastonbury bags after Yeo pulled out whether in two years time you'll be having the same thing with programs ect..so all you get as you walk in is a little booklet and the neck thing..  Let's hope not but there always looking to make a little more money.. 

http:///list/?qs='v' festival

40 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Madness imo.. 

The Glastonbury programme is bigger, longer and better than the V Fest ones, it'd be much more justified to charge a premium for the Glastonbury ones (although still not justified enough)

24 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Won't someone think of the kids?

The ones that will become paranoid in the queue, scared that security will find the clashfinder taped to their ball bags? Quickly deciding to ditch it into the amnesty bin, 'I'm better off getting hold of something once we're in'

So with a sense of relief they get through the wrist band exchange and find a shady bloke called Frank who's selling line ups for £5 each or 5 for £20. But this only makes it more dangerous, they don't know how accurate the information they have bought is do they? They head to one stage and theyre not sure who is on. The line up might be working or it might not so they find another act to watch. By that time they are fully committed and have double read. This is the reason that all of these kids are ending up in dangerous situations.

If they just turned a blind eye and let everyone in with their own information then all of this could be avoided.

Seriously though this is a piss take. The principle of paying a premium to find out details of what you have already paid for is the height of exploiting a captive audience. 

I get that this is a joke but I think because it's listed alongside merchandise; what they're trying to stamp out is set times from shady Frank who bought a lanyard, sent images of the times to a friend offsite who brings in a few hundred A4 sheets of the times to sell on, rather than personal (unverified) set times which - as arcade fireman points out - would easily be brought in on a phone.

Even then tho, I think most of the time when a festival tries to monetise set times there's someone that uploads pics of it to Twitter and then barely anyone buys the programme and the festival phases the lanyard thing out in upcoming editions. This is certain to happen now people think that they'll be up against a wall for a folded up piece of paper saying "STORMZY 8PM" so yeah nice one V Fest.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I get that this is a joke but I think because it's listed alongside merchandise; what they're trying to stamp out is set times from shady Frank who bought a lanyard, sent images of the times to a friend offsite who brings in a few hundred A4 sheets of the times to sell on, rather than personal (unverified) set times which - as arcade fireman points out - would easily be brought in on a phone.

Even then tho, I think most of the time when a festival tries to monetise set times there's someone that uploads pics of it to Twitter and then barely anyone buys the programme and the festival phases the lanyard thing out in upcoming editions. This is certain to happen now people think that they'll be up against a wall for a folded up piece of paper saying "STORMZY 8PM" so yeah nice one V Fest.

Yeah wonder what they're going to do with set times in future.

The sales must have plummeted lately for them, someone gets in early and posts pictures of it on twitter and everyone just uses that.

They're surely not going to just accept that, they're going to come up with a different way of fleecing people out of their money for something that should be readily available

I'm surprised festivals like V (and to a lesser extent R&L) haven't started charging people to get special wristbands for pit access, I suspect that'll be the next thing. BST already do it so it's clearly logistically possible. Oh and charging extra to camp near the arena, too, that's an obvious one they're thankfully 'missing a trick' on.

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I'm surprised festivals like V (and to a lesser extent R&L) haven't started charging people to get special wristbands for pit access, I suspect that'll be the next thing. BST already do it so it's clearly logistically possible. Oh and charging extra to camp near the arena, too, that's an obvious one they're doing thankfully 'missing a trick' on.

Stop posting this shit and giving ideas how else to fleece us. I'm sure half these baked ideas are given freely online. :)

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I understand where you are coming from, and if they combated it by selling programmes/line ups for £1 or giving them away for free then I would agree with you. Alas the cynic in me is dominant with this one. It feels like nothing more than a money spinner whatever the motivation.

Obviously banning people taking in Clashfinder print-outs etc is ludicrous and anti-social. But monetising set times does seem to be part of the wider festival 'business model.'  

I usually go to Glastonbury plus another festival.  Went to Kendal Calling last year and they were charging £10 for the lanyard and did not publish set times on their website.  I stuffily refused to pay, only to discover I couldn't always get the Clashfinder online, such was the paucity of tinternet coverage and the general shitness of my phone.  

Anyway I suspect there will be a fair few festivals refusing to publish set times - despite their punters stumping up a big chunk of cash.  

Grasping raw capitalism is never a good look!

37 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I'm surprised festivals like V (and to a lesser extent R&L) haven't started charging people to get special wristbands for pit access, I suspect that'll be the next thing. BST already do it so it's clearly logistically possible. Oh and charging extra to camp near the arena, too, that's an obvious one they're thankfully 'missing a trick' on.

Interesting ,I was at BST least weekend and got there early , walked into the front pit, got a wristband went back out again, . Could then wander in and out of the the front pit all day. There as a premium view to the right hand side of the front circle, but it wasn't as good view