TRNSMT Festival 2018

Muppetmark

I went yesterday for the first band on stage, so managed to get a golden circle wristband. I saw that they were still being given out during Franz Ferdinand. I don’t think everyone knew that they were being given out for free. 

That meant that during Friendly Fires the atmosphere was dire. 

Picked up a bit more for Franz Ferdinand, there was a lot of space. 

The Killers absolutely killed it, the atmosphere wasn’t as great as it would be if there wasn’t a restriction on the front area. I didn’t mind it too much as had a few drinks during the day. 

You didn’t need to pay more to be at the front, it was just a case of going to the gate with the big ‘front circle entrance’ banner at the top of it and getting a wristband. Obviously the wristbands ran out later in the day so it’s up to people to get there early enough to get one, not the events fault. Not the fault of the people working that gate either, who we’re getting screamed at for giving ‘VIP privileges’. The vip wristband alone did not allow you into the front. 

Loved everyone I saw yesterday. Friendly Fires stole the show for me, I’m a huge fan and hadn’t seen them since 2009. Got to the front barrier, didn’t stop dancing enough to notice anyone else in the crowd anyway. 

1 hour ago, Stuielooie said:

I saw that they were still being given out during Franz Ferdinand. I don’t think everyone knew that they were being given out for free. 

They were giving them out sporadically throughout the day, which makes it even more ridiculous. We were in early doors but didn’t try and get into the front section until just before Jessie Ware came on and were told it was wristbands only and they were all gone. We had friends who turned up during Friendly Fires who walked up to the gate, got handed a wristband and  straight into the front circle. We went over a few minutes later and got told “come back later when we have more”. We weren’t going to let our day revolve around it so just left it. Really frustrating when you’re there to see a band like Friendly Fires and you’re stuck in a disinterested crowd near the back.

13 minutes ago, betharm said:

Got to the front barrier, didn’t stop dancing enough to notice anyone else in the crowd anyway. 

That wouldn’t have been difficult during Friendly Fires to be fair.

Screen-Shot-2018-07-08-at-205025.png

Worth bearing in mind that they were turning folk away from the circle at this point for it being “full”.

39 minutes ago, betharm said:

You didn’t need to pay more to be at the front, it was just a case of going to the gate with the big ‘front circle entrance’ banner at the top of it and getting a wristband. Obviously the wristbands ran out later in the day so it’s up to people to get there early enough to get one, not the events fault. Not the fault of the people working that gate either, who we’re getting screamed at for giving ‘VIP privileges’. The vip wristband alone did not allow you into the front. 

Loved everyone I saw yesterday. Friendly Fires stole the show for me, I’m a huge fan and hadn’t seen them since 2009. Got to the front barrier, didn’t stop dancing enough to notice anyone else in the crowd anyway. 

We tried to get in the golden circle during Jessie Ware (3:30-ish?) and were told it was for VIP access only and we'd have to upgrade to get a wristband. We then headed over to the king tuts stage for a couple of hours, then heard from a friend they had started giving out the wristbands for free. By the time we got over to the entrance there were no wristbands left (Franz Ferdinand we're just starting at this point). 

So I'd disagree with you saying it's not the events fault, and people should have just got there early. You just had to be lucky and be near the entrance when they decided to give them out. They weren't doing this early in the day. The golden circle set-up was advertised as being Friday only - so nobody expected this and could plan for it. 

Still, ended up in a great pocket of the crowd just outside the circle with plenty atmosphere so enjoyed ourselves in the end! Thought chvrches were excellent.

I managed to speak to someone from the TRNSMT team about the situation just after the Friendly Fires set. He agreed that the whole situation with the Golden Circle ended up a shambles. Basically, they only found out on Saturday night that they couldn't take the Golden circle fences away (was something to do with the fences taking some of the ground away and it was a healthy and safety risk) and they had to then make a call about how they would allocate the golden circle passes. He was under the impression that it was the first 2000 people on site that got the gold bands and then VIP band holders that got into the section.  So he was telling us that the only way to guarantee entry to the section was to pay the VIP upgrade price (turns out that wasn't the case at all as I seen plenty of folk with VIP bands getting turned away).  

TRNSMT/DF made an absolute mess of the situation and it's a shame that it killed the atmosphere down the front all day.  The simpler solution, in my view, would have been to operate it in the same way as the TITP circle - have a one in, one out policy and security keeping a track of the numbers at each side. 

Overall, I enjoyed TRNSMT this year, my only other real gripe was the bar prices and the drink choice but I don't think they'll be in any rush to change that.

We had a go at the circle entrance just before Franz Ferdinand as could see it was pretty empty. Was advised to pay a 50 quid upgrade at the box office :-)

Daft idea and with all the ticket offers they obviously have a lot to think about. 

Decent day out. Thought the sound was pretty good yesterday. We were in front of the sound tower most of the time.

Decent food stalls round about the tuts stage.

6 hours ago, harryomatic said:

Yeah golden circle was nonsense yesterday. Great day otherwise though.

Chvrches were immense, great to see them grow from TITP Transmissions stage in 2013 where Lauren was practically hiding behind the mic stand to last night where she owned every inch of the stage. Definite shout to headline with another album bangers under their belts in 2-3 years.

Remember sitting on the grass in the tent in 2013 watching them. Your right in how she has grown in confidence over the years. Could have done without the snot chat yesterday though :-)

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

We left a pub round from tuts at 12.30 last night and took a wander past the gig. Tried and failed to stroll in past the security. 

Oh and nice touch getting the boy up out the crowd to drum.

Think we seen yous try that. We sat on the steps next to it cause these girls told us hardly anyone had went in - was a waste of time haha!

1 hour ago, mazza7 said:

Think we seen yous try that. We sat on the steps next to it cause these girls told us hardly anyone had went in - was a waste of time haha!

Yeah we got told something like that by a couple of lassies up from Liverpool so hung about for a while hoping for a dance.....and another drink. Eventually settled for chips :-)

Golden circle was a joke. Told by security guy I needed to pay to get in and then wandered over and they were giving out the gold bands for free. Don't think anybody knew what was going on. Managed to get one but pretty shit for all those that didn't. 

Just been catching up on the iplayer highlights. I thought that the killers was pretty rammed. It quite clearly wasn’t. Especially down the front.

tv pictures can often be deceiving but it looked like Gerry Cinnamon got a bigger evening crowd than the Killers headlining.

I think they might struggle to shift tickets again next year which is a shame.

Got an email this week from electric fields who have now reduced the ticket price. Mad when you look at the line up.

Difficult Times.

20 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Got an email this week from electric fields who have now reduced the ticket price. Mad when you look at the line up.

Difficult Times.

That is a good line up! Shame I'm at the Orkney Rock fest that weekend or I'd have gone.

On 7/16/2018 at 2:36 AM, DomDom1984 said:

Felt busy outside the circle. We were preverbial sardines and were quite a bit back.

The Killers were fucking unreal btw. Might be the best festival set I've seen.

Aye, was mobbed where we were. Somewhere between the barrier and the viewing platform. Really enjoyed it, he`s very comfortable headling and clearly enjoying it. Thought the waterboys and Travis went down better than Tiffany last time at T. Nice touch with the drummer boy and the sound was spot on.

It`s only when you see it back you realise how narrow the crowd were especially in the front circle compared to the other days.

11 hours ago, devilman said:

That is a good line up! Shame I'm at the Orkney Rock fest that weekend or I'd have gone.

We went last year. Great wee festival going after the Wickerman gap in the market.

Everything in the one field and plenty for the weans to do and it`s not overpriced. Had loads of room last year so we weren`t surprised they upped their game with this years line up. Surprised they haven`t sold it out. 

Edited by Comfy Bean

• 6 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 1:32 AM, Comfy Bean said:

Just been catching up on the iplayer highlights. I thought that the killers was pretty rammed. It quite clearly wasn’t. Especially down the front.

tv pictures can often be deceiving but it looked like Gerry Cinnamon got a bigger evening crowd than the Killers headlining.

I think they might struggle to shift tickets again next year which is a shame.

Difficult Times.

Killers was dead at the front because of that ‘vip golden circle’ shit 

• Downvote 1