Glastonbury Festival Wikipedia page

gooner1990

11 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yes, the theories involved have been explored scientifically and found to be almost impossible to substantiate. For geographical leys, for the ones that can be identified through accurate cartography are likely more a result of statistical definitions of chance that of any deliberate effort to align monuments with natural features. Some are certainly conditioned by landscape elements as simple as valleys and geology, but there is certainly likely to be no intentional alignment.

For 'energy leys' there have been attempts to scientifically identify any form of energy that dowsers might be claiming to be able to detect, but as yet this 'energy' remains elusive....

It's like when someone found the letters "R A D I O H E A D" in last year's poster by selectively removing characters and I immediately also found "S L A Y E R".  Given enough data, if you're arbitrarily selective, you can find anything you like.

Every year I have to put my box of festival crew t shirts in the loft, on the advice of my wife.

The advice is get rid or else! I know when to do my duty to make sure I am allowed to escape for 10 days each year!

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2017 at 8:39 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

It was crappy. It was even labelled as "Pyramid" at least one of those years. Look at the Radiohead 97 videos for how shit it was, less impressive than the current W Holts stage.

Imagine how genuinely awesome it was in 2000 when I finally got to see a proper Pyramid Stage on my fourth Glastonbury. We'll worth the wait.

I can appreciate your excitement but I have to admit that I was well disappointed due to them pointing the stage in a different direction - I am sure it was for Health and Safety reason's - with the old Pyramid we used to stand at the back of the Mandela bar and we had a great view of the stage but when they twisted it - Our View was stuffed.

Normally my team used to work in the Guest Bar but in 1994 we ended up in one of the public bars very close to the Pyramid Area so the main question we were asked was ' will they have a new Pyramid for 1995 ? ' and then in 1995 the main Question was 'where is the Pyramid stage ? and Customers would not believe us when we pointed to that daft stage.

I have fond memories of the old Pyramid as I have stood on it and also sat in the secret bar under it but have never wangled a pass for the new pyramid stage.

I had a triple artery bypass this year and I am still in the recovery stage and I wont know for another six months if I will be able to walk again so if I am unable to walk I will for sure wangle a stage pass for the next two.I will then retire as I have no wish to be pushed about in a wheelchair.

While Glasto 2017 was on I was stuck in Hospital ' with no access to the red button ' and it really killed me to have missed it but if I did not have the Operation they would be forced to amputate my foot { and possibly my leg } so no real choice at all . 

I am making good progress and there is no sign of infection but even my two Consultants are not sure if the nerve endings in the foot will ever recover so I have to take things nice and easy and just pace myself. 

3 hours ago, sime said:

Glad you are making good progress @glasto-worker. Always enjoy reading your posts. Get better asap good sir.

Thanks - I have had Peripheral Arterial Disease since June 2013 { in fact just before Glasto 2013 } but due to two previous heart Attacks/strokes they were dead reluctant to operate but it was getting progressively worse - they tried a stent but that dislodged a blood clot and then a few months later I had my first bypass operation - at first it worked but then right out the blue it stopped working and left untreated Gangrene soon sets in - so at first I thought I would make it to Glastonbury - I had even booked two nights in a Hotel next to the WBC Coach pick up point - So everything was planned apart from the fact that I was stuck in Hospital although the Morphine injections { every three hours } did help { I can see how some people get addicted to it } 

My Team was able to fill me in each night as to what was going on at Glasto

I also missed Latitude as well - I was also asked to work for the WBC in Ireland { events July/August/September } but I had no choice as there is no way I am fit enough - just pure Sods Law as I am sure the WBC would have covered my Hotel and flights - Sure I may miss out this year but with any luck I will be taking their offer next year.  

On 13/07/2017 at 8:39 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

It was crappy. It was even labelled as "Pyramid" at least one of those years. Look at the Radiohead 97 videos for how shit it was, less impressive than the current W Holts stage.

Imagine how genuinely awesome it was in 2000 when I finally got to see a proper Pyramid Stage on my fourth Glastonbury. We'll worth the wait.

Yes, the interim main stage was very underwhelming! I'd be interested to know how the 'new' Pyramid differs in size to the previous one. Can't find any info on that though.

On 12/07/2017 at 11:25 PM, gooner1990 said:

I look at the wikipedia page on occasion for reference and I notice there are a lot of gaps (especially pre-2000) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival_line-ups

Does anyone know how to fill it in (I'm a bit stupid and don't) 

As i notice there is a programme from 1998 on sale on ebay and the seller has posted most of the line up with stage times etc...would love to see the line up pages more full. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glastonbury-Festival-Programme-1998-Pulp-Blur-Bob-Dylan-Robbie-Williams-Primal-/172751343090?hash=item2838c84df2:g:R4wAAOSw8HBZNDPN

One thing I do remember about earlier line-ups was that the running order on the Pyramid was often a bit random and not particularly reflective of where acts were placed on posters, and in some cases (The Smiths in 84 comes to mind), not where they were placed in the programme. If I can I'll try and flesh out some of these line-ups on Wikipedia.

22 hours ago, henry bear said:

Yes, the interim main stage was very underwhelming! I'd be interested to know how the 'new' Pyramid differs in size to the previous one. Can't find any info on that though.

Well it is far larger - l am not on my PC so cant hunt out the page but ' at the time when it was first built there was a interview with ME and l am sure he claimed it was ' six times ' larger - the old one looked far bigger than what it was when you stood on it - there is a site that goes into great detail to do with the production side of it ( far wider back access ) - l just wish they had not twisted it.

46 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Well it is far larger - l am not on my PC so cant hunt out the page but ' at the time when it was first built there was a interview with ME and l am sure he claimed it was ' six times ' larger - the old one looked far bigger than what it was when you stood on it - there is a site that goes into great detail to do with the production side of it ( far wider back access ) - l just wish they had not twisted it.

Thanks, if you do find the page please let me know. The current stage is obviously bigger, but not six times! And yes, they spun the axis about 90 degrees didn't they?  Although distance shots of the stage with the Tor directly behind do look good!

33 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

@glasto-worker which way did the Pyramid face then before they 'twisted' it? Tried looking at old pics but can't quite work it out. I would have thought it would have always faced up the hill?

It was moved it a bit at the same time.. The old stage was roughly located, and facing approximately the same direction as, where the combined Oxfam/Greenpeace/Wateraid stall to the left of the current stage is now.

On 06/08/2017 at 2:19 AM, glasto-worker said:

I had a triple artery bypass this year and I am still in the recovery stage and I wont know for another six months if I will be able to walk again so if I am unable to walk I will for sure wangle a stage pass for the next two.I will then retire as I have no wish to be pushed about in a wheelchair.

While Glasto 2017 was on I was stuck in Hospital ' with no access to the red button ' and it really killed me to have missed it but if I did not have the Operation they would be forced to amputate my foot { and possibly my leg } so no real choice at all . 

I am making good progress and there is no sign of infection but even my two Consultants are not sure if the nerve endings in the foot will ever recover so I have to take things nice and easy and just pace myself. 

Very sorry to hear it's been so horrid GW and wishing you all the best for your continued recovery.   

On 08/08/2017 at 5:02 PM, henry bear said:

Thanks, if you do find the page please let me know. The current stage is obviously bigger, but not six times! And yes, they spun the axis about 90 degrees didn't they?  Although distance shots of the stage with the Tor directly behind do look good!

it was a interview at the time - I don't think ME means its ' six times larger ' { in all dimensions }

lets say it used to be 50 feet wide - it does not mean its now 300 feet wide - I have seen reports its 'four times the size of the original' but again they don't go into great detail https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Pyramid_Stage,_Glastonbury_Festival

On 09/08/2017 at 3:36 PM, Yokel Again said:

@glasto-worker which way did the Pyramid face then before they 'twisted' it? Tried looking at old pics but can't quite work it out. I would have thought it would have always faced up the hill? 

On 09/08/2017 at 4:27 PM, incident said:

It was moved it a bit at the same time.. The old stage was roughly located, and facing approximately the same direction as, where the combined Oxfam/Greenpeace/Wateraid stall to the left of the current stage is now.

On 09/08/2017 at 4:43 PM, Yokel Again said:

Aahh yes - I get it:Image result for glastonbury stage 1992

Image result for glastonbury 2017 pyramid

On 09/08/2017 at 6:33 PM, henry bear said:

The stage was twisted clockwise about 90 degrees. It used to face straight up to the farmhouse; if you were facing the stage, Glastonbury Tor would be visible to your right whereas now it's behind the stage.

God I really started something when I mentioned the twisting - Love the photos by the way

yes for sure it was twisted and not in the same location - I was told it was for health and safety reasons - by them twisting it - it gave a larger viewing area although I just wish they had built it in the same place and pointing straight up to the farm house as that gave a better view due to the incline in the hill but as we all know the new layout allows more people in - so its a compromise - Shame they did not take a vote on it.

I took some of my Team into the backstage compound a few years ago - none of them ever saw the previous stage so I was showing them where it used to be - its easy to work out where it used to be { by looking up the hill at the farm }

anyway its a iconic stage - instantly recognisable by many who have never been to Glastonbury

cant find the ones before that - they will show up sometime  - they are certainly the last of my time as a Punter - all the others are worker wrist bands

wrist-003.thumb.jpg.13337958efb5be4b05f202b75c3b8bd6.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

13 hours ago, clarkete said:

Very sorry to hear it's been so horrid GW and wishing you all the best for your continued recovery.   

Thanks - trust me there was lots of patients who were not able to walk out on their two feet - when you see so many amputations you start to get worried - I was asked to a WBC drink up recently so with a help of a friend I was driven to it and I was able to walk in and they all wanted to see the Scars - god knows what the Pub Customers thought was going on { it was a Party in the WBC Pub in Clapham but regular drinkers could still enter the front part } - as the doors to the private party kept swinging open - 

In fact I don't walk ' I shuffle ' - only a very limited range but yesterday I met one of my Team who saw me just before I entered Hospital and she saw me just after I was discharged and she thinks ' my walking has improved ' - we went to the Pink Floyd exhibition and we were able to reserve a wheelchair as there is no way I Could have made it otherwise - I have a mobility Nurse coming to see me next Monday and she will decide  what I need - on one hand I try to avoid walking but I know My Consultant wants me to fight though the pain and walk in moderation each day { as that helps the healing process } - The WBC has offered me a staff Parking pass which will help out as I know the new staff coach drop off point is a fair old walk to the crew camp but its only a few yards from the staff car park - I would doubt I will be able to walk a long distance even when fully recovered but still its better than not being able to walk at all - that operation took 3 1/2 hours - shame they don't have it on video as I would have love to see what they did so its amazing I survived it - Just really grateful to the Surgeons and Nurses who looked after me.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 11:25 PM, gooner1990 said:

I look at the wikipedia page on occasion for reference and I notice there are a lot of gaps (especially pre-2000) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival_line-ups

Does anyone know how to fill it in (I'm a bit stupid and don't) 

As i notice there is a programme from 1998 on sale on ebay and the seller has posted most of the line up with stage times etc...would love to see the line up pages more full. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glastonbury-Festival-Programme-1998-Pulp-Blur-Bob-Dylan-Robbie-Williams-Primal-/172751343090?hash=item2838c84df2:g:R4wAAOSw8HBZNDPN

@gooner1990, should you or anyone else be interested, I've started working through the years on the wiki Glastonbury Festival line-ups page and on the years when there's only a list of artists, I've put them on the appropriate stage and day (where known). I'm using a mixture of sources, mainly access to programmes, online (especially the marvellous www.ukrockfestivals.com), and my own recollections (where appropriate). I'm struggling with the pre-1981 festivals, and have yet to start on the 90's, although most are pretty comprehensive anyway. I'm quite enjoying it, although it is quite time consuming!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 10:23 PM, henry bear said:

@gooner1990, should you or anyone else be interested, I've started working through the years on the wiki Glastonbury Festival line-ups page and on the years when there's only a list of artists, I've put them on the appropriate stage and day (where known). I'm using a mixture of sources, mainly access to programmes, online (especially the marvellous www.ukrockfestivals.com), and my own recollections (where appropriate). I'm struggling with the pre-1981 festivals, and have yet to start on the 90's, although most are pretty comprehensive anyway. I'm quite enjoying it, although it is quite time consuming!

wow thanks henry bear i shall keep an eye out for more updates as they happen! :):):)