20 years of eFestivals

Pinhead

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently I've been pie_and_a_pint since April 2008. I was something else connected to an ancient Hotmail account before then (from just before the 2003 festival) but I can't remember what and I don't think I ever posted because I was scared! :ph34r:

On 11/07/2017 at 10:08 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I remember eFestivals in 1998. Even used to treat on the forums for a bit until I heartlessly abandoned them when they official site had their own forums (including the great Ask Infoman thread).  

Camewith my tail between my legs once they were unceremoniously shut down (can't remember when) and was glad to find lots of other refugees here. It quickly became apparent that eFestivals was the most populous on-line Glasto community so I stuck around and made myself at home.

It's probably no longer the busiest Glasto place on the Internet, but I'll very rarely sample the methodone that is Glasto Chat!

I like it here :)

I didn't know Internet forums existed in 1998! I joined efests in 2009 so I'm guessing TOS was closed down just before that. I was on that from 2002 onwards I think. It was still going in 2007 which was the first year of See coaches I think.

Anyway obviously efestivals is much much better. I like it here too :)

15 hours ago, eFestivals said:

PS: - next year won't be 20 years of efestivals - that will be in 2020.

But it will be 20 years since the first website that evolved into efestivals existed.

First was at:http://www.cix.co.uk/~nrgreenway/glastonbury (about Feb 1998).
Then it was: http://www.glastonbury-festival.co.uk (from 10th June 1998, the domain history tells me).
Then efestivals (from 17th Jan 2000, the domain history tells me).

As it happened, the guy who funded the purchase of the glastonbury-festival.co.uk domain (£200 back then, more than I had spare at the time) was at the glasto meet this year, and that was about the first time I'd seen him in ten years (tho we 're in contact by email).

Wasn't this site the official site for the festival back in 1998?  How did that come about?

28 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Wasn't this site the official site for the festival back in 1998?  How did that come about?

I'd love to know the full history of these boards and the old TOS boards for that matter which it appears a number of us were members before it went tits up.

What happened to 'The Bear' and Infoman aka Albert Hall.

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

in 1999. The guy who used to run Jazzworld got in touch very soon after I put up a first page about Glastonbury (around March 1998, I'm guessing), and via convos over time we agreed he'd approach Michael about it, which he did and it got sorted.

I was also 'employed' (but never paid for, huh) to run their official site for them in (I think it was) 2002, but told them where to shove it not long after the fest after a short geezer who was big on stitch-ups stitched me up over his own failings; the fest decided to take his side so I decided to leave them to find out that cockwomble was a cockwomble, which they did. I nowadays enjoy an occasional drink and chat with the guy who made the mistake of believing cockwomble.

7 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I'd love to know the full history of these boards and the old TOS boards for that matter which it appears a number of us were members before it went tits up.

What happened to 'The Bear' and Infoman aka Albert Hall.

'The Bear' was me, if you're talking 'Simon Smith and the Dancing Bear'. Infoman was a man with ego problems that did for him in the end.

eFestivals became the official site via the guy from Jazzworld. It also stopped being the official site via the guy from Jazzworld, and with full honesty I still don't know today what really went on.

I do know that the first time I came face to face with Michael and introduced myself he went into a rant about how I was the guy "who was trying to rip him off", which is 100% bollocks. At no point did I ask anything of him for there to be any chance of any attempt at ripping him off.

I suspect there was some attempts at greed out of my sight. No other conclusion makes much sense.

12 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Have you ever considered going into Ents Management or thowing a festival of your own Neil? 

Judging by the dissertation research stuff posted here, I don't think the world needs anyone extra for Ents Management.

I did look into doing a festival in the early/mid noughties, and even had a visit to Lulworth Castle with the owner about using that site (no one was using Lulworth for a festival at the time).... but what I very quickly discovered is that just about everything would be a terrible compromise, and that it was just about impossible to put on the sort of event I'd have wanted to put on. 

Having realised I'd be working my nuts off for something I'd have little enthusiasm for because it wouldn't be what I wanted to do, the idea was quite quickly dropped.

However, the idea I had was defo a good one, because there's a fair amount that exists now but didn't then which is using strong elements of what i'd wanted to do.

Edited by eFestivals

13 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Wasn't Virtual Festivals running the 'Official Glastonbury Message Board' back in the noughties. I've some pages printed out from 2005 which go by this title?

Yup. For about 5 years from around 2002. Like so much VF did they fucked it up, which is probably why they lost shit loads (of Daddy's) money and got sold, went bankrupt, got re-bought by the peeps who bankrupted them (standard scumbag operator tactic), and nowadays don't exist.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yup. For about 5 years from around 2002. Like so much VF did they fucked it up, which is probably why they lost shit loads (of Daddy's) money and got sold, went bankrupt, got re-bought by the peeps who bankrupted them (standard scumbag operator tactic), and nowadays don't exist.

When I first started frequenting festivals I visited here and VF all the time. Didn't take long to realise that I only needed to visit here. Didn't know it was no more.

7 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

When I first started frequenting festivals I visited here and VF all the time. Didn't take long to realise that I only needed to visit here. Didn't know it was no more.

first I heard of VF was when someone forwarded me an email that VF had sent them, claiming that they had some sort of endorsement from me which was utter bullshit (I was running the official site at that time), along with a request for ...

... 20 free tickets to Glastonbury ...
(yes, you've really read that right! :lol:)

.... because they were such fantastic geezers who deserved free entry.

And then they wondered why I only ever laughed at them as bullshitters. :P

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I do know that the first time I came face to face with Michael and introduced myself he went into a rant about how I was the guy "who was trying to rip him off", which is 100% bollocks. At no point did I ask anything of him for there to be any chance of any attempt at ripping him off.

'Michael Eavis is a farmer' confirmed :lol: