Boomtown?

Neville Street

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Ooo - thats looking a bit churned up now isnt it...

Hope the campsites are still green. Not looking forward to trying to put up my tent in the pissing rain!

Me neither! Although are you going today? I have a feeling you said you were working! 

It's meant to be dry and fairly warm tomorrow, hopefully that will help dry things out a bit :)

Guy, we will be careful! Will keep an eye out for Mr Whompy too xx

9 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

If you have the chance to report back on the state of the campsites it would be appreciated (not that it will change anything inevitable!)

My brother and my mate left here so they could get in before the 9.30 no entry time I'll bell them now see how it is.. 

OK so not sure what is going on. They won't answer the phone.. Apparently they have stopped crew going in and have told them they will open gates again tomorrow at 8.... That's all I can say at the moment.. 

They are looking to tow your cars / vans in so be warned.. Tomorrow the weather looks OK but then it's back to rain but Sat/sun should be OK 

OK so just to let you know 

My mates just phoned there in a massive queue.. No one is going anywhere till tomo so my brother is setting up a small rig to play some tunes lol.. Picture on its way if I can get it on here when it arrives I will.. 

So if you're near boom and you hear tunes coming from silver van.. That's my brother lol

• Upvote 1

Old bill moved all vehicles off motor way last night but just spoken to brother and there through gates waiting to go to crew area so things are moving.. Muddy underfoot but no rain till this afternoon. Enjoy those that are going. 

6 minutes ago, Waapster said:

This is bonkers. Imagine being in a queue over night!! How is it even possible? Obviously a really stressful, horrible situation but stories about fighting in the queue do not make me want to try it out next year as a Glasto replacement! A shame, as it does sound awesome once you're in!! What is going on with festivals this year? Did Glasto being the best one ever suck up all the good festival juju from everyone else.... 

23 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This is bonkers. Imagine being in a queue over night!! How is it even possible?

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.

I was checking Boomtown's facebook till about 10pm last night, and then read msg's this morning from about 1am - and while there were still plenty outside at 10pm there didn't seem to be any by 1am.

Just checked on twitter and have seen a pic of one of the gates this morning at 9.30, and the queue looks minimal with people who've arrived this morning).

I've no idea at the mo what the issue really was. There were peeps saying the ticket scanning system had gone down, but I know the system was working for the crew gate and that's likely to be the same system.

Boomtown posted what's below (with more) on their facebook at about 9.30pm last night, but the delay in opening the gates was apparently just an hour so while that would have helped the queues build up it's definitely not all of it.

There's the suggestion that everyone was being fully-searched, but that doesn't appear to be the case either, cos I've seen people saying they weren't searched who got in before that facebook post.

There's definitely been a number of people who've bought fake tickets - tho it's hard to judge how many - who've been turned away at the gates, so that might have been a part of things, cos I'm guessing each of those people takes up quite an amount of time because of double-checking it's really fake & then being argued about.

There was a delay opening our gates due to the recent wet weather conditions and this, along with the large scale search operation we are running this year, have affected the time getting people through the gates.

I might get to find out a bit more shortly.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Imagine being in a queue over night!!

it didn't happen. Everyone was in by 11.30pm.

I'm pretty sure it'll be quickly forgotten with everyone enjoying the fest ... and anyway, the craziness is what it's all about. That sense of disorganisation (whether it really is, or not) is what gives it its edge.

It is really disorganised? Some parts definitely give that impression (like the gates last night), but all the times I've been the stages were all running to schedule and everything else was at-least adequately done (with a few normalish festival niggles of toilets poorly managed/cleaned, etc).

Have heard from the efests team on site now, but they don't have any real idea what caused the queues.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it didn't happen. Everyone was in by 11.30pm.

I'm pretty sure it'll be quickly forgotten with everyone enjoying the fest ... and anyway, the craziness is what it's all about. That sense of disorganisation (whether it really is, or not) is what gives it its edge.

It is really disorganised? Some parts definitely give that impression (like the gates last night), but all the times I've been the stages were all running to schedule and everything else was at-least adequately done (with a few normalish festival niggles of toilets poorly managed/cleaned, etc).

Have heard from the efests team on site now, but they don't have any real idea what caused the queues.

I take the rest of what you say about they place, but I'm not buying into the 'craziness' of being in a queue for hours as part of the appeal :)

22 minutes ago, General Lee said:

I take the rest of what you say about they place, but I'm not buying into the 'craziness' of being in a queue for hours as part of the appeal :)

lol, I wasn't trying to say that the queue was the appeal, I was trying to say that the craziness is - and with that craziness might come something like the queue.

I think the think the worse about these obscene queing times is that there is often no explanation for them at all. Dread to think how people with anxiety and other health conditions deal with it. Although i imagine the organisers to some of these festivals pay lip service to that kind of thing

I've read somewhere that the queues were due to the site being in such as state they didnt want to risk peoples safety but surely this can't be true as being in a queue for 8 hours in the heat with all your heavy stuff is a greater risk to people's health than mud? Surely if they knew anything about the British summer time the likihood of a muddy festival site is high and put in the relevant precautions?

Apologies for venting but really bugs some of stories coming out of the festivals this year!

Edited by Tyonks

1 hour ago, Tyonks said:

I've read somewhere that the queues were due to the site being in such as state they didnt want to risk peoples safety but surely this can't be true as being in a queue for 8 hours in the heat with all your heavy stuff is a greater risk to people's health than mud? Surely if they knew anything about the British summer time the likihood of a muddy festival site is high and put in the relevant precautions?

That's not quite how it works.

Any Festival site (or section of) is considered a construction zone right until the moment it gets signed off by H&S and so the public aren't allowed in almost regardless of what's happening outside. There's a lot more to it than just a bit of mud on the ground - fences might not be in place, vehicles (and especially heavy vehicles) might be roaming around more frequently and with less restrictions, stewards and marshalls might be otherwise occupied. In the case of Boomtown, it sounds like the weather put their construction way behind causing them to be late getting the sign offs they needed. As a result the gates opened late, and some later than others.

From what I've been reading, the delays yesterday mostly boil down to them being hit by three seperate issues - the site (or parts of it) not being signed off in good time causing an inital backlog at the gates, issues with ticket scanning causing them to have to check stuff manually, and not enough security on duty to enforce the level of searches they wanted.

• Upvote 1

I know it's been really bad weather etc etc but seeing that queue has really put me off going next year which was my plan.. 

Also and I'd really hate for this to happen..... At any festival..... But if like other years there's a death on site I fear that with this it could be the end of boom as we know it..... 

Not that I know it cos I've not been yet lol.. My son who's been to them all has said enough is enough but he'll probably change his mind after a couple of weeks back home. 

12 hours ago, Tyonks said:

I've read somewhere that the queues were due to the site being in such as state they didnt want to risk peoples safety

Festival sites opening after the advertised time because stuff isn't yet ready for the licence to be signed off isn't particularly unusual. A delay of an hour or two happens sometimes, and bad weather can help cause that.

There's an admitted delay of an hour for boomtown. If that's accurate, while it shouldn't have happened in an ideal world, the weather hasn't been ideal either and it's not an outrageous delay.

And if there was a delay of just that hour (I don't know either way, tho I do know the gates were open before 3pm), it doesn't explain everything that happened. People seemed to barely move thru the gates till 8pm-ish, and then they'd got everyone in by 11.30pm.

8 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

but seeing that queue has really put me off going next year which was my plan.. 

queues as bad hit Glastonbury in 2016. I doubt anyone said the same for that.

And if we go back into Glasto's past, stuff like that was the standard rather than unusual - and yet glasto still became the daddy.