NYC Downlow

bamber

4 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Why would there be 'outrage'? Would there be similar outrage if women were fucking women or women were fucking men?

Because there would be. A girl who was giving out the goods to blokes in a club in Ibiza made the news and was branded a dirty slag. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Dave_c said:

Because there would be. A girl who was giving out the goods to blokes in a club in Ibiza made the news and was branded a dirty slag. 

That's not outrage. That's one (tabloid) newspaper and its misogynistic view on life, isn't it?

Just now, pie_and_a_pint said:

That's not outrage. That's one (tabloid) newspaper and its misogynistic view on life, isn't it?

I know and I'm not saying she is a slag, I'm just pointing out that the treatment of such behaviour is treated differently.

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Better than fucking on the dancefloor, isn't it?

I was going to say 'it was probably a damn sight more comfortable as well' but by Sunday the grass was quite prickly, and the dust, the dust....... it would get *everywhere*... :D

1 minute ago, Nutella Versace said:

I've been in a few dark rooms in my time, but I'm not sure I'd be too keen on sucking an unwashed cock on Sunday when it's been banging around the long drops since Wednesday. Each to their own though.

Could they not stick a little wash basin in the corner? Or would that kill the vibe?

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

consenting adults

I'm not sure they age-check folk before entry, so to speak, nor ensure they're in a fit state to give consent.

I miss how this started with a fake tash and as a joke-thing. Now it feels like the very ghetto shit I was so happy to escape at an all inclusive festival has become a part of it again :( 

1 minute ago, frostypaw said:

I'm not sure they age-check folk before entry, so to speak, nor ensure they're in a fit state to give consent.

I miss how this started with a fake tash and as a joke-thing. Now it feels like the very ghetto shit I was so happy to escape at an all inclusive festival has become a part of it again :( 

Last time I went was three years ago and spent an hour or so in there one night. I didn't feel awkward, but I certainly felt like a tourist, like I was intruding on something  that wasn't meant for me.

35 minutes ago, battleborn said:

The darkroom sounds absolutely abhorrent. The kind of unintentionally homophobic homopandering that should be left to the last century, the idea behind it seems to be that a) gay people will fuck anyone, anwhere b ) gay people are incapable of finding a partner and taking them back to wherever there saying. Utterly ludicrous and should be banned, could you imagine if Glasto announced that they were placing booths up the side of the main stage for people to go and shag eachother in? The outrage that would ensue. What's the difference of it being in NYC Downlow.

You've obviously never been to a (straight) fetish club, because many of them have exactly that, and it's far from outrageous.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Last time I went was three years ago and spent an hour or so in there one night. I didn't feel awkward, but I certainly felt like a tourist, like I was intruding on something  that wasn't meant for me.

That's not great. I felt it was more like the darker bits of gay life turned into another freakshow rather than the lighter comedy feel when it first appeared - now come see the craaaazy gays - they're not like you! Peek at their strange ways....

Maybe there should be a straight fetish club on site, proper strippers and all for balance

5 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

That's not great. I felt it was more like the darker bits of gay life turned into another freakshow rather than the lighter comedy feel when it first appeared - now come see the craaaazy gays - they're not like you! Peek at their strange ways....

Maybe there should be a straight fetish club on site, proper strippers and all for balance

Couchys tent to become a permanent stage at the SE corner

3 hours ago, Dave_c said:

And a dark room where people are fucking? What's that all about? If that existed in another area of the site and it was men fucking women there would be outrage and it wouldn't be allowed.

And before I get accused, no I'm not homophobic.

Men fucking men, women fucking women, men fucking women and women fucking men. It's a totally inclusive dark room. Did you not find this to be the case when you went there?  

Or are you outraged about something you never went to and actually know nothing about?

20 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Frosty... everyone is welcomed at the Downlow but don't forget the whole premise is recreating a subculture which was niche, filthy and ghetto-fabulous.

When I went in the darkroom it wasn't just guys on guys, all sexualities were being very well represented don't worry.

I went in three times over the weekend and at no point did I hear of anyone having to get any body parts out for entry.  No evidence of that at all. 

And as someone said above, it's meant to represent a dark, seedy but insanely fun and outrageous sex dungeon club and it does just that. The straight people I went in with had an absolute ball. 

I'm not gay but I love the place and the attitude of everyone in there its just a shame it's become a victim of its own success and it's so hard to get in after mid night, after 2 hours of queueing I gave up and went to meet my mates elsewhere. Had a good laugh in the queue though with random nice people and genosys had some good music on so all wasn't lost! 

49 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

So the gays are alright so long as we make you laugh? Are we not back into Larry Grayson/ John Inman territory here? 

As mentioned earlier, straights are more than welcome to get down n dirty in the darkroom too. Nobody's stopping anybody (or making anyone do anything they don't want to do). 

9 minutes ago, Nutella Versace said:

So the gays are alright so long as we make you laugh?

I'm one of you :P

Just used to be more fun/silly. The queues are just insane.... we did hang out for a while at genosys just to see if it actually moved over a half hour one night and it didn't at all