NYC Downlow

bamber

I saw Graeme Park at the Pyramid on Friday morning and Rag N' Bone man for ten minutes at the other and literally nothing else at the two main stages. I spent hours in here though. These exquisite people are very special and this venue is truly unique. The fact that such a place exists in this world especially in a field in Somerset on the last weekend in June, annually, fills me up with pure consummate joy. The best conversations I have ever had mostly happened in this little tent.... Long Live Downlow

Edited by bamber

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't a criticism in any way, but can you spell out what I'm missing? Because I've been in on a few occasions and don't get it. Loads of people love it and it's critically acclaimed so I accept it's something that must be sailing over my head but I've always found it just another venue although one overtly gay centric. 

What am I not getting? 

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

This isn't a criticism in any way, but can you spell out what I'm missing? Because I've been in on a few occasions and don't get it. Loads of people love it and it's critically acclaimed so I accept it's something that must be sailing over my head but I've always found it just another venue although one overtly gay centric. 

What am I not getting? 

Same, was in once, stuck on a moustache and had a laugh for an hour. Was a bit of a sweat box from memory, couldn't have stayed longer than we did.

What am I not getting? 

I've loved the place since it first opened. I love that it should be 1980's in New York but it's in a field in Somerset now. 

It's usually rammed, more often than not drenched in sweat, frequently gutter-filthy and deliciously camp.  Oh and the tunes are always banging.

If in any doubt Vogue, Vogue, Poppers, Vogue will usually see you through.

Barely even made it to the SE corner this year, but what was the deal with people being asked to get their dicks out for entry? Saw somebody mention it elsewhere on here and thought that sounded kind of, erm.. not cool? Maybe I've misread and it was all light hearted fun/in jest, but the impression I got from the post was that they were refusing entry to some for not complying.

This isn't a criticism in any way, but can you spell out what I'm missing?

I'm with you. Anyone who likes this can do it down almost any gay pub/club any weekend best I could tell - sure I might be missing something, but the queues and all mystify me when I got bored of that down the 2 Brewers in Clapham a decade ago.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Barely even made it to the SE corner this year, but what was the deal with people being asked to get their dicks out for entry? Saw somebody mention it elsewhere on here and thought that sounded kind of, erm.. not cool? Maybe I've misread and it was all light hearted fun/in jest, but the impression I got from the post was that they were refusing entry to some for not complying.

I did it... Either dick out or £1 entry, no brainer really...

I love the place but it does frustrate me that it's an LGBT venue that's mostly rammed with people who have no idea it's an LGBT space. Especially when the reentry queue gets too big to bother with.

I spent a few hours on the Thursday in a jockstrap and jersey on stage, from what I remember. Then had a lovely time in the dark room. ;)

My favourite part was on the Friday/Saturday... straight girls kept going into the dark room without knowing what was in there. I was doing the lord's work and educating them. Some of the looks on their faces when they ignored my warning and saw someone f*cking...

5 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Are we entirely sure that's only a straight equivalent tho? Dual use facilities can only be a good thing and thoroughly pro-equality

It's a venue ran by LGBT+ communities, its their spot on site to do what they want with. Fucking get over it 

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

It's a venue ran by LGBT+ communities, its their spot on site to do what they want with. Fucking get over it 

Can we get gay queue jump?

[joke, but also kinda not as it gets a bit frustrating when you can't get into a venue that's there for your community]

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I am part of that community. Untwist thy knickers. I'm allowed an opinion on it every bit as much as all the peace loving hippy types with some sense are allowed an opinion on the homeopathic bull up in the greenfields.

Let's show how welcoming and open to ideas we are without swearing immediately.

Being asked to get your dick out for entry to the S.E corner, if true, is fucking ridiculous. And a dark room where people are fucking? What's that all about? If that existed in another area of the site and it was men fucking women there would be outrage and it wouldn't be allowed.

And before I get accused, no I'm not homophobic.

Edited by Dave_c

18 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I've got your back(side) on that one - equality is equality, nothing homophobic about it. Should be the same rules for everyone

It's all very strange to me when part of what I loved about the festival was that your sexuality didn't matter - and now it feels like it kinda does.

26 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Being asked to get your dick out for entry to the S.E corner, if true, is fucking ridiculous. And a dark room where people are fucking? What's that all about? If that existed in another area of the site and it was men fucking women there would be outrage and it wouldn't be allowed.

I've never actually been but I don't think the venue would mind if a male and female were shagging in there, would be shocking if they did

8 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

I've never actually been but I don't think the venue would mind if a male and female were shagging in there, would be shocking if they did

It's not so much that, it's that the laws and behaviours that govern the rest of the site don't seem to apply in the S.E corner.

8 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

It's not so much that, it's that the laws and behaviours that govern the rest of the site don't seem to apply in the S.E corner.

Oh yeah, I saw signs up by Bez's Acid House actively enouraging people to pee on the land. It's outrageous.

13 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Well the male/female couple going for it at 04.45 near the acoustic tent on Sunday didn't give a shit, both proper naked too, and no I haven't got a photo for you!

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Oh yeah, I saw signs up by Bez's Acid House actively enouraging people to pee on the land. It's outrageous.

I don't know if your are being facetious or not here, but I doubt there were signs saying that

53 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Why would there be 'outrage'? Would there be similar outrage if women were fucking women or women were fucking men?

3 minutes ago, matt2007 said:

Well the male/female couple going for it at 04.45 near the acoustic tent on Sunday didn't give a shit, both proper naked too, and no I haven't got a photo for you!

Not the same thing as doing it in a purpose built venue on the site where it is apparently encouraged.