Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

I don't personally think there was enough of a problem to warrant going against the Good Friday Agreement, wrecking the peace process and potentially more innocent people being killed.

Well enough people thought it was a problem, government agreed (including Labour) to give the choice to the people of the country. The country voted to leave. 

So whilst you don't think enough reason, plenty of others did. 

7 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I'm no economist but I'm sure it'll balance out over time,the pound takes a tumble all the time but bounces back

Again, nothing personal against you here but the economic crash in 2008, which we’re still seeing the aftereffects of 10 years later, sunk GDP by a quarter of what a no deal Brexit would.

2 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

No

Anyone who has ever voted c**tservative should return their tickets for resale.

Oh and as for...

We're headed for a cliff edge and someone should have bollocks to turn away. If we were headed into an illegal war in, oh-I-don't-know, Iraq would you "try to make the best of it"?

What the war Labour took us into you mean?

1 hour ago, glastolover19 said:

Sorry but I don't really understand why you have a problem with democracy? Yeah it didn't go your way but that's just life. Wether the right or wrong side won is irrelevant(that's subjective) Really what other choice do you have,either you embrace it and try make the best or what? Move? Stamp your feet? Until you actually go through it how do you really know what it's like

Eh? When did I don't respect democracy?! I'm asking for positive advice on how I can help make the best of it. 

I've heard a lot from Leavers about how Remainers need to get behind Brexit and we are ruining it. But I've never actually understood what that equates to on a practical level in everyday life.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Eh? When did I don't respect democracy?! I'm asking for positive advice on how I can help make the best of it. 

I've heard a lot from Leavers about how Remainers need to get behind Brexit and we are ruining it. But I've never actually understood what that equates to on a practical level in everyday life.

Do you remember before we were in the EU?

You know I have never knowingly met or had a conversation with a Tory.

For some strange reason they do not canvas for votes where I live come election time.

Now I don't agree with most of the policies that the Tory party come out with, but all Tories can't be bad surely??

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I still think Tories are allowed at Glastonbury. My best mate from uni votes Tory. He's quite nice! He came once though he didn't seem to get it (probably because he's a bit of a Tory).

Na probably just wasn't for him. This is my 7th time going. 

Cheers for the welcome though. Not that the question should have ever been asked in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You know I have never knowingly met or had a conversation with a Tory.

For some strange reason they do not canvas for votes where I live come election time.

Now I don't agree with most of the policies that the Tory party come out with, but all Tories can't be bad surely??

Na we cool. 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I still think Tories are allowed at Glastonbury. My best mate from uni votes Tory. He's quite nice! He came once though he didn't seem to get it (probably because he's a bit of a Tory).

My father in law is Tory voter,he is a c*nt but that's more cos he's my father in law then anything

1 hour ago, David756 said:

Well enough people thought it was a problem, government agreed (including Labour) to give the choice to the people of the country. The country voted to leave. 

So whilst you don't think enough reason, plenty of others did. 

Ah never mind eh? If enough people don't mind innocent people getting killed again then I suppose we might as well just crack on with it.

What do you think we should do re the Irish border? I personally don't think there is a workable solution. That's one of the reasons I voted remain.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ah never mind eh? If enough people don't mind innocent people getting killed again then I suppose we might as well just crack on with it.

What do you think we should do re the Irish border? I personally don't think there is a workable solution. That's one of the reasons I voted remain.

Well you're point was invalid when I state enough people did think it. Just because I pointed that out you attack. 

Dunno about the Irish border, I voted reamin, didn't want that problem.  Personally I guess you could use technology, the same as the EU uses, doesn't seem much of an issue for them. 

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The recent-ish move to ban mobile phone roaming charges when travelling around the EU, they tried their best to block that one. And of course on top of their direct attempts at subterfuge they also refuse to turn up to committee meetings on things like fishing policy and then have the cheek to complain about how said policies work ? They’re a bunch of total charlatans and I hope to god that when this is all over we never hear from them again.

Their policy is to disrupt the EU so they can't really be called charlatans in that sense, they are just doing what that said they would and people voted for them.

In many ways the votes for UKip were and early warning sign. Votes were cast in ignorance of real knowledge of the benefits and disadvantages of EU membership or even knowledge of how the EU works. That should have been picked up years ago and real efforts made to educate the populace. It wasn't and we are now where we are. Complacency of the political classes has a lot to answer for here. 

Thank you for the example.

Na probably just wasn't for him. This is my 7th time going. 

Cheers for the welcome though. Not that the question should have ever been asked in the first place. 

It is weird though isn't it how more creative/arty people are left wing though isn't it?  Like most comedians. Geoff Norcott is pretty funny and Lee Hurst was about 20 years ago - but I'm struggling after that! It's a funny one (or not, as the case may be!).

Well you're point was invalid when I state enough people did think it. Just because I pointed that out you attack. 

Dunno about the Irish border, I voted reamin, didn't want that problem.  Personally I guess you could use technology, the same as the EU uses, doesn't seem much of an issue for them. 

The EU uses hard borders in other cases like this. But that would contradict the Good Friday Agreement. And there isn't any technology available that can tell you who/what is hiding, for instance, in the boot of a car.

1 hour ago, glastolover19 said:

Just about. The reason I ask is that you and most folks don't know what it was like so maybe a lot of people want to see if the grass is greener

I get your point and change often sounds more attractive. Vote to retain the status quo just doesn't have the same ring to it somehow!

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

It is weird though isn't it how more creative/arty people are left wing though isn't it?  Like most comedians. Geoff Norcott is pretty funny and Lee Hurst was about 20 years ago - but I'm struggling after that! It's a funny one (or not, as the case may be!).

Particularly with stand up comedy, it’s all about observations and pointing out people’s flaws in logic. That isn’t exactly something which would usually go hand-in-hand with believing in the right-wing way of doing things.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

I get your point and change often sounds more attractive. Vote to retain the status quo just doesn't have the same ring to it somehow!

Of course change is always attractive in the hope of better. Whatever happens in the end lets be honest no one really knows till it ultimately happens, everything is speculative. Wether it's good or bad the majority have decided they want to find out. I'm very careful as a non voter to neither condemn or condone this situation but try and understand both sides.

22 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The recent-ish move to ban mobile phone roaming charges when travelling around the EU, they tried their best to block that one. And of course on top of their direct attempts at subterfuge they also refuse to turn up to committee meetings on things like fishing policy and then have the cheek to complain about how said policies turn out ? They’re a bunch of total charlatans and I hope to god that when this is all over we never hear from them again.

As I said earlier, thanks for the example. Looking into this quickly I see that the campaign against banning mobile phone roaming charges was led by the Greens and supported by Tim Berners-Lee.

What strange bed fellows!

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

The EU uses hard borders in other cases like this. But that would contradict the Good Friday Agreement. And there isn't any technology available that can tell you who/what is hiding, for instance, in the boot of a car.

The technology is available (we use similar things when entering our estates, not who actually, but definitely what), how practical I'm not sure. I'd also agree with the EU that anything that is manufactured in the United Kingdom is compliant with EU legislation (because let's be honest, it's a decent standard). 

End of the day the government have to implement Brexit, I know people are upset at the moment but the sheer outrage that would come if they didn't isn't worth thinking about. 

The EU say a Canada +++++ whatever deal is on the table, if they actually told the truth and said it excludes NI instead of grandstanding (both sides are doing it) then we would get further. It is in the EU's interest to get a deal, as well as show you can't just leave the union. Make no mistake, if the UK make a success out of all this, the EU will be very worried.