Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

Going back to the original question. 

Yeah Tories are welcome just like anyone else. The way I see it is it's similar to a Labour voter going to somewhere like Henley rowing regatta or any sailing race/regatta or from one of my own personal experiences, the Royal Windsor Polo. You're welcome but you may see or hear things you feel uncomfortable about or disagree with. Its not like you would imagine anything different.

Edited by ourkid1984
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slash's hat said:

I do recall economic experts being divided too. 

UK based economists (working in the finance sector and universities) voted 93% /7% to remain. That isn’t ‘divided’ in anybody’s terms. One of the problems was that the referendum was required by law to give equivalent airtime etc to ‘both sides’ of the argument which meant that the 7% - usually in the form of Patrick Minford- got to appear as if it represented a wider view than it actually did. 

31 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

UK based economists (working in the finance sector and universities) voted 93% /7% to remain. That isn’t ‘divided’ in anybody’s terms. One of the problems was that the referendum was required by law to give equivalent airtime etc to ‘both sides’ of the argument which meant that the 7% - usually in the form of Patrick Minford- got to appear as if it represented a wider view than it actually did. 

And when that’s combined with social media, when bot accounts and/or accounts based abroad can be (and are) used to artificially ‘legitimise’ campaigns which would otherwise - for good reason - not get off the ground ...

Brexit sucks, although long term we'll be just fine. What frustrated me is that we should have stayed and reformed from within, much easier than just leaving. Many normal people voted not on economic grounds but on points of principle, such as laws being made in Brussels and more control over immigration. I voted remain but I certainly understand how we've ended up leaving.

27 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

such as laws being made in Brussels....

EU laws can be vetoed by any member country. The fact that they tend not to do so is because they are usually sensible and of benefit. Parliament is, and always has been, sovereign in terms of UK law. 

Edited by Blisterpack

4 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

EU laws can be vetoed by any member country. The fact that they tend not to do so is because they are usually sensible and of benefit. Parliament is, and always has been, sovereign in terms of UK law. 

And, of course, UKIP have a nasty habit of voting against ones which would be in the UK’s interest just to further their own mission to make the EU look as rubbish as possible.

33 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Brexit sucks, although long term we'll be just fine. What frustrated me is that we should have stayed and reformed from within, much easier than just leaving. Many normal people voted not on economic grounds but on points of principle, such as laws being made in Brussels and more control over immigration. I voted remain but I certainly understand how we've ended up leaving.

Exactly this. Lets just embrace it/make most of it and see what happens,you never really know till you try

8 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

Wrong, certain laws have to pass all member countries. Other votes are down to majority. 

Just now, glastolover19 said:

Exactly this. Lets just embrace it/make most of it and see what happens,you never really know till you try

The risks to the NI peace process are real. There are only two scenarios: a border separating the UK from the EU - which nationalists will rightly say no to - or NI remaining in the Customs Union while the rest of the UK doesn’t - which loyalists will also rightly reject. There is no solution, which isn’t a surprise really cos Brexit is fixing a problem that wasn’t really there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

And, of course, UKIP have a nasty habit of voting against ones which would be in the UK’s interest just to further their own mission to make the EU look as rubbish as possible.

Can you give me an example please, genuine question.

Classic quote from today's Sunday Times from an unnamed Tory MP: "I have lot all faith in this shitshow, which has run out of road on Brexit and is bereft of ideas on the domestic front. We don't even deserve to be in power."

The Times has Tory MP quotes saying an election/leadership contest announced by the end of the week.

1 hour ago, glastolover19 said:

By all means if in say 10years time that has become the case then sir I will buy you a drink as way of apologies

That's not really going to cover off all the money I've lost already just from the detrimental effect it's had on the pound.

3 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

The risks to the NI peace process are real. There are only two scenarios: a border separating the UK from the EU - which nationalists will rightly say no to - or NI remaining in the Customs Union while the rest of the UK doesn’t - which loyalists will also rightly reject. There is no solution, which isn’t a surprise really cos Brexit is fixing a problem that wasn’t really there.

Clearly enough people felt there was enough of a problem

3 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

I did my homework mate and if you think both sides were telling 100% the truth then your deluded. What you choose was right for you and what anyone else chose is what's right for them, frankly this seems to be the big problem(on both sides) everyone thinks they are right and if you don't agree then somehow your an idiot. I appreciate your upset it didn't go your way but that's life. I know it's not like trying on trousers but think we should embrace it and try and make the most of it

So, what things can I do in my daily life in order to "embrace it and make the most of it"? Other than paying through the nose for things unnecessarily in order to fund someone else's notion of 'sovereignty' - which, to be fair, I've been doing for over two years now.

• Upvote 1

I'm no economist but I'm sure it'll balance out over time,the pound takes a tumble all the time but bounces back

No, it dropped dramatically as soon as the result was announced and still hasn't recovered. Or was that a coincidence?

And every time a hard Brexit becomes more likely, it drops again (and vice versa).

Edited by Homer

Clearly enough people felt there was enough of a problem

I don't personally think there was enough of a problem to warrant going against the Good Friday Agreement, wrecking the peace process and potentially more innocent people being killed.

Just now, Homer said:

So, what things can I do in my daily life in order to "embrace it and make the most of it"? Other than paying through the nose for things unnecessarily in order to fund someone else's notion of 'sovereignty' - which, to be fair, I've been doing for over two years now.

Sorry but I don't really understand why you have a problem with democracy? Yeah it didn't go your way but that's just life. Wether the right or wrong side won is irrelevant(that's subjective) Really what other choice do you have,either you embrace it and try make the best or what? Move? Stamp your feet? Until you actually go through it how do you really know what it's like

No

Anyone who has ever voted c**tservative should return their tickets for resale.

Oh and as for...

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I appreciate your upset it didn't go your way but that's life. I know it's not like trying on trousers but think we should embrace it and try and make the most of it

We're headed for a cliff edge and someone should have bollocks to turn away. If we were headed into an illegal war in, oh-I-don't-know, Iraq would you "try to make the best of it"?

2 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

Also, the last six PMs (at least) on both sides have been pro-EU; the vast majority of MPs are; the Head of the Back of England and countless other experts of that type are too...

14 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Can you give me an example please, genuine question.

The recent-ish move to ban mobile phone roaming charges when travelling around the EU, they tried their best to block that one. And of course on top of their direct attempts at subterfuge they also refuse to turn up to committee meetings on things like fishing policy and then have the cheek to complain about how said policies turn out ? They’re a bunch of total charlatans and I hope to god that when this is all over we never hear from them again.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I don't personally think there was enough of a problem to warrant going against the Good Friday Agreement, wrecking the peace process and potentially more innocent people being killed.

No nor did I personally but I'm not the only person in this world,I respect there was enough who felt like it