Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

14 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

No, absolutely not.

Absolutely disagree on that. This is why you got the leave vote in brexit,because a lot of people didn't know who to vote for but voted anyway because they felt they had to and ultimately went along with the "crowd" if more people who were unsure didn't vote the leavers probably wouldn't have got the win. You have only got to look at the stats now about if the re ran the vote then it would probably go the other way and I bet a large majority of those are people who voted for the sake of voting would now swing the other way

There was, and it’s understandable why this drove people into not getting involved at all.

But at the same time it was obvious that the Remain camp’s ‘scaremongering’ was almost-entirely because nobody had a concrete idea of what Brexit would mean. Which, when you consider that that therefore meant that those championing the Leave cause were also doing so without a clue what it honestly meant, it should’ve been a massive sign that it was not a good idea that had been thought through. But of course in the heat of a referendum campaign nobody thinks as logically as that.

There was lies and mistruths on both sides. I'm personally in favour of a second ref now that the dust has settled and people no more facts and with cooler heads

Soz I don't know why it's come out in that layout?

Edited by glastolover19

16 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Soz I don't know why it's come out in that layout?

Yes it was very strange - political thinking usually goes that it’s much harder to win when advocating the ‘change’ position, and indeed during the Indy Ref the fence-sitters ultimately plumped for the safe option which is what swung it for the Unionists. As you say, the ‘don’t knows’ flocking to Leave or staying away altogether was what caught out the entire political class - in part because it should never have been allowed to happen, but there were warning signs there when you look back on it now. It would’ve helped if the toxic Cameron and Osborne double-act had stayed away but that was never going to happen.

I’m glad you’re also in favour of a People’s Vote although if it’s to happen there are major lessons to be learnt, and I don’t think the political or media establishments quite understand them yet.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

I reckon if you’d walked round on the Friday of 2016 with an ‘i voted Brexit’ tshirt, you’d have got some grief.

We spend the Thursday night telling people around site to 'vote Brexit' under the totally ironic belief that there was no chance leave would actually win.

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yes it was very strange - political thinking usually goes that it’s much harder to win when advocating the ‘change’ position, and indeed during the Indy Ref the fence-sitters ultimately plumped for the safe option which is what swung it for the Unionists. As you say, the ‘don’t knows’ flocking to Leave or staying away altogether was what caught out the entire political class - in part because it should never have been allowed to happen, but there were warning signs there when you look back on it now. It would’ve helped if the toxic Cameron and Osborne double-act had stayed away but that was never going to happen.

I’m glad you’re also in favour of a People’s Vote although if it’s to happen there are major lessons to be learnt, and I don’t think the political or media establishments quite understand them yet.

As far as I'm concerned fence sitting is not a bad thing,if you don't totally agree or understand something you shouldn't feel pressured into signing up for it. Let's not also forget that we will never really no who the fence sitters would have gone for in THAT moment of time,hindsight is wonderful and today I know what I'd vote for sure but then I didn't. 

I am in favour of a second ref providing the majority of people want that otherwise that's not democracy as far as I'm concerned

On 10/10/2018 at 12:20 PM, glastolover19 said:

Its called being impartial and to me it was better not to vote based on the fact that I trusted neither side at that time.

Your call. I just knew that one looks both ways before crossing the road. In Brexits case, one side of the road, the leave side, was blocked from clear information.

16 minutes ago, David756 said:

Surprised this is still going on. Never encountered any hostility when I’ve been, but then again, no one has ever asked me my political views at Glastonbury. Tbh if I was off my nut and someone wanted to talk politics at a festival I’d laugh. 

That's coz we're on the internet and not at glastonbury. This conversation would have gone down very differently over a couple of jars at the avalon inn.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

That's coz we're on the internet and not at glastonbury. This conversation would have gone down very differently over a couple of jars at the avalon inn.

Haha, aye. Serious though, the answer to the question is yes, they are welcome. I’d bet quite a large amount of tories go to Glastonbury.  

18 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

So you can't make a completely informed choice then

Eh? If the choice is one with a clear view and one obscured by misinformation then yes, I can make a very informed choice based on the facts presented to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sime said:

Eh? If the choice is one with a clear view and one obscured by misinformation then yes, I can make a very informed choice based on the facts presented to me.

Each to their own mate but I'd rather not vote unless I have all the info from both sides. You can hate me as much as you like for not voting but in my opinion that is better than being bullied into something you don't believe

4 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

If you didn't know where to look, it's quite hard to find any political content at Glastonbury these days. The overwhelming  majority who go to the festival couldn't give a toss about politics sadly.

I think you can still find it but it does seem very much that people are more vocal on here then they necessarily would be if Sat opposite to you. I hate the term keyboard warrior but that seems the way it is now. I think guys from all sides of the track should be able to sit down and civilly talk about these things.

8 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

If you didn't know where to look, it's quite hard to find any political content at Glastonbury these days. The overwhelming  majority who go to the festival couldn't give a toss about politics sadly.

very true ... and you have just promoted me to message my friend and say we are going to some kind of political discussion next year 

23 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

This is nonsense- Water Aid, Oxfam, Greenpeace etc are everywhere, and have adds running on the pyramid stage and they have a new campaign every year. The most popular night time area (South east corner) is covered in politics and political messages. There's the green fields too. There's the left field. 

Don't know how anyone could have attended 2016 and claim no one cares about politics, when the impact of the brexit vote clearly effected the whole atmosphere for days. This whole "no one cares about politics" is an old cliche from the 00s, and applies less and less with each passing year.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

Aside from what @Mr.Tease just pointed out, wasn't there also the small matter of Jezza giving a speech on the Pyramid in 2017? That wasn't exactly tucked away under the carpet.... 

1 hour ago, glastolover19 said:

I think you can still find it but it does seem very much that people are more vocal on here then they necessarily would be if Sat opposite to you. I hate the term keyboard warrior but that seems the way it is now. I think guys from all sides of the track should be able to sit down and civilly talk about these things.

Really? Most of the political discussions here are far more civil here than other places I express myself. 

I've never trolled anyone here and thought "if that person knew where I live they would dearly like to punch my soft vulnerable face". I've done that numerous times online but then I believe the opposite to you, as I have zero common ground with those folk and I never will. 

I've always thought people should use their vote - people died for you to have that right. Plenty of people use it just to spoil their ballot if they don't like the choices available, which is at least funny as the agents of the candidates go through them together, whatever rude or mental thing is on them. 

45 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Don't know how anyone could have attended 2016 and claim no one cares about politics, when the impact of the brexit vote clearly effected the whole atmosphere for days. This whole "no one cares about politics" is an old cliche from the 00s, and applies less and less with each passing year.

I was slightly disappointed though that we didn't wake up to the mad max style world we were promised

18 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Really? Most of the political discussions here are far more civil here than other places I express myself. 

I've never trolled anyone here and thought "if that person knew where I live they would dearly like to punch my soft vulnerable face". I've done that numerous times online but then I believe the opposite to you, as I have zero common ground with those folk and I never will. 

I've always thought people should use their vote - people died for you to have that right. Plenty of people use it just to spoil their ballot if they don't like the choices available, which is at least funny as the agents of the candidates go through them together, whatever rude or mental thing is on them. 

Yeah you only have to scroll back through these pages,whilst it's not as rampant as some other sites it's prevalent in nearly all forum. I'm just pointing out that people tend to be braver online then the real world.Frankly if anyone wants to troll me then by all means go ahead,you ain't gonna say anything that I haven't already been told face to face only difference is I'd respect you less for hiding behind a screen.

As for my decision not to vote,I stand by it. I'd rather not vote instead of voting for something I don't understand or am unsure about,don't you think part of the problem was quite a few people didn't no who to vote for and got swept up in the pack mentality? I also totally understand that by not voting I don't have a Say in how it ultimately turns out,in none of my postings have I supported or condemned brexit for this reason. Regardless of anyone's point of view surely if you want to live in a fair country you have to go with what the majority want

20 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I also totally understand that by not voting I don't have a Say in how it ultimately turns out,

Regardless of anyone's point of view surely if you want to live in a fair country you have to go with what the majority want

I agree with both of those points specifically, but given the vagueries of the campaigns and what they told us what leave meant, that's why having a people's vote makes perfect sense. 

Tell us the actual deal and let people definitively choose. 

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I agree with both of those points specifically, but given the vagueries of the campaigns and what they told us what leave meant, that's why having a people's vote makes perfect sense. 

Tell us the actual deal and let people definitively choose. 

I'm certainly up for a second referendum providing that's what the majority want. I don't think a second will happen but know which way I'd swing as oppose to 2years ago. But then you have to ask where does it stop if we do second vote and it goes the remainers way does that then mean a third to add a balance of fairness 

I remember in 2017 being in the Left Field Tent a little before JC was due to be there and the guy next to me was wearing a t-shirt with something like "I love Maggie Thatcher" on it.  I raised an eyebrow and commented on it in a friendly but surprised way.  He said that he and his mate had had a bet and the loser had to wear the t-shirt and not cover it up at all.  He was a lifelong Labour supporter.

I wonder how he got on for the rest of the day?

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I remember in 2017 being in the Left Field Tent a little before JC was due to be there and the guy next to me was wearing a t-shirt with something like "I love Maggie Thatcher" on it.  I raised an eyebrow and commented on it in a friendly but surprised way.  He said that he and his mate had had a bet and the loser had to wear the t-shirt and not cover it up at all.  He was a lifelong Labour supporter.

I wonder how he got on for the rest of the day?

Poor geezer? slightly off key but I remember a mate of mine lost similar bet but was made to wear a shirt with his actual phone number on,had about a billion calls and texts all weekend,if I remember correctly I think it even blocked up his answer phone