What made you cry at Glasto?

mrfunk

I cried loads this year- mainly from joy but found a few things very emotional. Barry gibb's emotions and nile's cancer story got me welling up, then the crowd and everyone smiling and dancing just did me in. One day like this at the elbow set- watched it on iplayer and cried again. Lorde liability, had to put my sunnies on to hide my eyes. And walking to the top of the hill on Wednesday afternoon and seeing the people's faces I was with. Oh and I cried every time I saw a parent dancing with their kids, notably katy perry and first aid kit. I was a wreck this year! 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The minutes silence before Hacienda Classical

The crowd singing Don't Look Back in Anger at Liam

Foos Everlong

Biffy Many of Horror (was the song that got me thru the break up of my marriage)

Listening to Chris Evans this morning (please don't judge!!) on the way to work and he played Mr. Brightside.  All of a sudden my eyes are leaking - and I used to hate that song!

I guess the emotional part for me was not the song (it used to annoy the life out of me), or seeing the Killers but the memory of the pure joy and reaction of those there.  For me, Glastonbury is about the 180,000 people there - it's our party and the entertainment is there to facilitate us having a good time (rather than the other way around which often seems the case at many gigs).

Thanks everyone!

On 2017-7-4 at 11:55 PM, adms said:

Beans on Toast - Jamie and Lily, Leftfield.

He told the whole story about how they were both going to see him at a gig.

Jamie emailed Beans on Toast asking to dedicate a song to Lily.
And without Jamie knowing, Lily emailed Beans on Toast, asking to dedicate the same song to Jamie.

He wrote a song about them.
They came on stage and danced. It was a joyful happy moment and I sobbed.

That's amazing :wub:

5 hours ago, bellboy said:

Listening to Chris Evans this morning (please don't judge!!) on the way to work and he played Mr. Brightside.  All of a sudden my eyes are leaking - and I used to hate that song!

I guess the emotional part for me was not the song (it used to annoy the life out of me), or seeing the Killers but the memory of the pure joy and reaction of those there.  For me, Glastonbury is about the 180,000 people there - it's our party and the entertainment is there to facilitate us having a good time (rather than the other way around which often seems the case at many gigs).

Thanks everyone!

Similar for me. I was about 3/4 back in the JP tent unable to get to my son who was quite was about 50m away. I'm not a big Killers fan but the sheer joy and excitement in that tent was infectious...got goosebumps typing this :)

Didn't cry at Glastonbury and I actually missed this band due to clashes.  I just watched First Aid Kit though and 'Emmylou' made me cry (again).  It's just the most perfect song.  Thought their whole gig was excellent.

I've normally welled up a bit at Glastonbury and haven't openly had a cry since the Stones in 2013 but this year....

Thurs night - Crows Nest for Confidence Man. Proper welled up at one point when I realised I  was seeing my favourite band, at my favourite venue, at my favourite festival with my glasto buddies.

Fri night - when I passed on seeing Radiohead and trekked down to Earache Express to see Petrol Girls....only to find they'd been bumped back 2 hours. Walking back up the railway track, had a sit down by Spike and a few tears realising all my friends were together at Radiohead and I should have been there too.

Fri night - Flaming Lips - Space Oddity. After pulling myself together after the Radiohead / Petrol Girls fiasco, went up to Park and then welled up during Space Oddity when I started thinking about Bowie.

Fri night - Crows Nest : Lemon Twigs - I Wanna Prove to You. Was heaving in there and a real proper singalong which was a great communal glasto moment.

Sat - Pyramid : Bootleg Beatles - All You Need Is Love. 

Sat - Pyramid : Foo's - Hero. Some of the lyrics were read out as part of the eulogy at a close friends funeral. Proper sob at this point.

Sun - John Peel : Killers. Several welling up moments just from the love in that tent and everyone having the best time.

Sun - Sonic : Jain - Paris. Hugely emotional song written in the aftermath of the Bataclan attacks.

Sun - West Holts : Justice. Pretty much emotional during the whole set as with my camping group and realising this was the last set we'd all be together for a while.

The last 15 minutes or so of Kate tempest had me welling up. Such a powerful display of emotion. The last song really made my eyes sweat. 

Aside from that, Nile Rodgers talking about his cancer story nearly had me crying, which makes it the 2nd time that's happened at chic. 

Loyle Carner Saturday in John Peel. Had me welling up. A fantastic set, unbelievable crowd response, the sad story of his dad, what it meant to him and then getting his mum on stage right at the end and picking her up for a big hug!

Well worth a watch back if you haven't seen it yet. 

On 7/4/2017 at 0:22 PM, milly16 said:

Williams Green tent saturday morning watching Speak And Spell (Depeche Mode Tribute) singing Enjoy The Silence and thinking what it would be like if my real beautiful band played Glastonbury...One day i hope.

My boyfriend had a Glastonbury moment just sat in the sun at Arcadia as it was his first and his grandmother was so excited for him to be going,would be wanting to hear his stories on return.But he sadly lost her a month before and so wanted for her to hear that he had an amazing time and loved every single minute.

this - speak and spell were fab !

On 13/07/2017 at 9:46 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

This blog post:

https://lifeonlauralane.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/an-open-letter-to-glastonbury-from-a-victim/

Ok, I didn't actually read it at the festival, but close enough.

I read it earlier today when it popped up on my Facebook... Really made me cry both down to her bravery and the beautiful and compassionate way she was treated 

22 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

That's not how that works - men aren't by nature emotionally limited. 

I know ta - wasn't being serious... though having said that, I didn't cry.

Pretty sure the only time I have ever cried at Glasto was Brian Wilson in 2005 (those  harmonies get into some deep crevices).