What made you cry at Glasto?

mrfunk

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think any actual tears but...

During Foo Fighters I had a little thought that I started listening to them about 16/17 years ago when I was about 13 and although I'm not as into them now, they shaped my musical life. The songs i wrote as a teenager had their sound all over them as well as loving Dave in Nirvana. All that time along and I hadn't seen them live, loved every second of it and in a way thought back to early 2000's when they were never particularly big and now theres 100,000 people singing along.

The other moment was on Sunday afternoon. Walked up to the sign and sat for a while looking over the site. I last went in 2015 with a few people that made the experience a bit of a chore and before this year i was worried i had lost the magic/was getting too old but had the best 5 days and sat there taking it all in, thinking about how my life had changed for the better in the last 2 years and looking forward to the future.

38 minutes ago, russycarps said:

That's beautiful.

And just think. At that very moment, at that exact same moment, as the sun shone above us and the stars aligned, I was stood there in that hallowed field, thinking how dreary and shit they were.

Such an arse :lol:

Hacienda Classical doing You Got The Love

Katy Perry singing Firework.  Tried to sing along but couldn't.  Glad I was wearing sunglasses.

Hadn't heard of The Young 'Uns but we were in the Acoustic Tent on Friday chilling out (mostly needed a sit down!) but they came on and sang this which was "inspired by the incredible story of Matthew Ogston, who founded the Naz and Matt Foundation to tackle religious and cultural homophobia following the tragic death of his fiancé. In April 2015 he embarked upon The Journey to Find Acceptance and walked one hundred and thirty miles from London to Birmingham."

His fiancé took his own life due to his unwillingness to accept his own sexuality, absolutely heart breaking. My wife and I had tears steaming down our faces, it was exceptionally cathartic and one of the most real and beautiful moments of our festival. Great to see such a touching and beautifully performed tribute to an ordinary guy. 

Edited by sweetsounding

54 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

At risk of sounding repetitive ... October Drift on John Peel ... a lifetimes ambition for these guys ( and quite a few years of me waiting to see them ) ... and Jeremy Corbyn seemed to hit a nerve 

How did they get on in the end?  I was sorely tempted to go see them, but in the end my Sunday morning needed the House Gospel Choir on WH.  Needed to get me some gospel in my life!

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

How did they get on in the end?  I was sorely tempted to go see them, but in the end my Sunday morning needed the House Gospel Choir on WH.  Needed to get me some gospel in my life!

fantastic ... some great reviews and one of the biggest crowds for an opening sunday act on jp apparently  I think helped by the local sunday ticket holders  . shame they weren't televised but thats for the future ... I can see big things for this band , to think my friend currently makes pizzas in a supermarket ... although hopefully not for much longer for him just waiting now for them to get signed 

I had a cry at the Greenpeace video in between a couple of artists on the Other stage...it had been a heavy night.

Got tearful sat on the hill at the top of the Park looking out at everything before bed on the Sunday.

I am generally ice cold and dead inside, Glasto and the aftermath is about the only time I shed a tear.

Radiohead full set was pretty emotional. When they played Lucky second, I had a sudden realisation that it was gonna be the best gig ever. So that was the closest I came to crying.

Crying with laughing after eating mushrooms though - at nothing in particular. This went on for quite a few hours...

Other *almost* times include: Leaving the festival, cans being too hot to drink on the Wednesday, and waking up to see I missed The Killers' secret set.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Hacienda Classical doing You Got The Love

This was such a powefull way to start the main stages, this got me too. Stunning.

2 hours ago, JayBalls said:

Biffy Clyro - Biblical 

I went along to Biffy kind of resentfully as i knew they were unlikely to play anything from the first 3 albums, but I must admit that this song was probably the most emotional of the weekend, on top of Elbow/Radiohead combined. Perhaps the Sunday evening time slot amplified things too. 

Williams Green tent saturday morning watching Speak And Spell (Depeche Mode Tribute) singing Enjoy The Silence and thinking what it would be like if my real beautiful band played Glastonbury...One day i hope.

My boyfriend had a Glastonbury moment just sat in the sun at Arcadia as it was his first and his grandmother was so excited for him to be going,would be wanting to hear his stories on return.But he sadly lost her a month before and so wanted for her to hear that he had an amazing time and loved every single minute.

Opening bars to Kid by Pretenders - my favourite song by them, and they hadn't been playing it in recent sets so I thought they weren't going to do it at Glasto. I wasn't really aware of it but my mates said I had tears streaming down.

Also lots of points during Radiohead.

Tears of laughter to Jeremy Hardy in Cabaret (and nice to bump into him in Avalon cafe)

Also welled up a bit reading people's experiences on here! You lot!

We discovered The Future Islands in Summer 2015 when my dad was staying with us after a major stroke. It was a difficult time but The Singles album became a theme tune of sorts to that period of our lives. When Samuel Herring was doing his soundcheck before the John Peel set I sent a picture to my dad and he immediately responded telling us to have a great time. My dad's mobility is severely restricted now and his life has completely changed. He never did festivals but always talked about doing it 'one day'. During the set Herring mentioned parents and I lost it; thinking about how much my dad would be loving this. I really wished he was there with us at that moment. My husband and I had a big cuddle afterwards and a moment of reflection.

The rest of the set had me grinning from ear to ear though, it was sublime. :D