Disrespect in the Theatre & Circus fields.

BlackHole2006

I just came across this video on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/videos/3257840860929748/?pnref=story

Stuff like this really makes my blood boil. This is clearly a walkabout and it's very likely that his whole act was destroyed because of this arsehole. On the Saturday I was watching a hola hoop act on A Little More Sensation and people started nicking her hoops and using it. In the end the manager of the stage took the hoola hoop's away from them and told them to leave. A few of the guys stayed on and started heckling her and shouting abuse. Again it completely destroyed her act and she crumbled and couldn't do any of her tricks. 

Does the festival need to start putting up signs around the Theatre & Circus fields. Something like "There will be walkabouts around this area, please respect the performers?". I love Theatre & Circus as much as the next guy and it was generally great this year but I don't really want to see my favourite area of the festival be ruined by the behaviour of a few dickheads. 

16 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

This really angers me. I think they should eject anyone who actively disrupts an act. They wouldn't stand for it if a headliner had their set interrupted, so why should they put up with it for a smaller performer?

Totally agree. I love the whole spirit and fun of this area and people who behave in this way should be made to leave. 

Geezer was a proper cock, however, not that I'm defending him, I suspect he was just planning to hitch a ride for comedy effect rather than sending the pair of them ass over tit... a few beers on board, a few mates egging him on.

For all we know the guy's been dying of shame since it happened.

P.S. It wasn't me.

33 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

This really angers me. I think they should eject anyone who actively disrupts an act. They wouldn't stand for it if a headliner had their set interrupted, so why should they put up with it for a smaller performer?

Apart from that time they stood for it when a headliner had their set interrupted in 2015 - the antagonist stayed on site and even did his own set as planned an hour later.

(I appreciate the point though, this guy is out of order)

Just now, Drinky said:

Apart from that time they stood for it when a headliner had their set interrupted in 2015 - the antagonist stayed on site and even did his own set as planned an hour later.

(I appreciate the point though, this guy is out of order)

It would not surprise me if there is one rule for performers like Lee Nelson (it was him, wasn't it?) and the average punter. I think actively assaulting and ruining an entire act is a different thing though.

To be fair from that video it doesn't appear to be in the Theatre & Circus fields - I did see that walkabout act there though during the festival.

Not that that excuses it, but I can see people being far more confused and likely to do something silly elsewhere on site.

Edited by DeanoL

Stupid thing to do but just looks like drunken antics gone wrong. Doesnt look malicious. Would be better to see the full video as they may have been cool about it after and just laughed it off. 

Shouldnt do it but part of being any act is engaging with an audience, not condoning this but you take the good with the bad and sometimes shit like this happens. 

Im the lad felt bad, he clearly wasnt trying to knock him off or disrupt him in a negative manner. 

I was there when this happened (in Williams Green). The performer looked as though he had been hurt at first but fortunately then got up and continued his act to huge cheers. The worst part of it was that two policemen nearby were watching and did absolutely nothing, although there were some security who helped the performer up and checked he was OK. I would have expected the police at least to speak to the guy who stupidly jumped on the carpet and warn him not to do anything like that again.

It was clearly a case of a drunken idiot trying to jump on the back to have a ride. 

13 minutes ago, Georgie84 said:

I was there when this happened (in Williams Green). The performer looked as though he had been hurt at first but fortunately then got up and continued his act to huge cheers. The worst part of it was that two policemen nearby were watching and did absolutely nothing, although there were some security who helped the performer up and checked he was OK. I would have expected the police at least to speak to the guy who stupidly jumped on the carpet and warn him not to do anything like that again.

It was clearly a case of a drunken idiot trying to jump on the back to have a ride. 

What did the guy who jumped on him do after? Did he apologise or help him up?

Slightly harsh comments on the idiot imo. Yes, it looks nasty but it's good times gone bad and by accident. The idiot doesn't even look that drunk or even the type that would want to seriously disrupt or injure anyone. I'm slightly surprised that this particular performer wasn't expecting something like this to happen at some point anyway. I'd be surprised if he wasn't very understanding, most walking/flying performers at Glasto are very open minded with the reactions they get, it is after all a festival full of off it up for a laugh people. Maybe next time get some self balancing stuff on your flying carpet!

A flying magic carpet, even I'd be tempted!

Edited by Cooter

9 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Slightly harsh comments on the idiot imo. Yes, it looks nasty but it's good times gone bad and by accident. The idiot doesn't even look that drunk or even the type that would want to seriously disrupt or injure anyone. I'm slightly surprised that this particular performer wasn't expecting something like this to happen at some point anyway. I'd be surprised if he wasn't very understanding, most walking/flying performers at Glasto are very open minded with the reactions they get, it is after all a festival full of off it up for a laugh people. Maybe next time get some self balancing stuff on your flying carpet!

A flying magic carpet, even I'd be tempted!

"After all its a festival, full of off it up for a laugh people".so this makes it alright does it? Oh its a festival "the rules don't count guys" we can do what ever the heck we want and expect no consequences. Its this attitude that has ruined Reading Festival, there some people believe they are beyond the law so come Sunday night, set light to peoples tents and start what they like to call riots. But "Hey its a festival".!

No don't be a dick (not implying you are yourself) the lad in the video has no excuse for doing what he did. I didn't see many people trying to mount the odd police horse when they were walking through the festival. So why should the odd performer have to put up with rude inconsiderate twats mounting their mode of transport which would be part of their act.

14 minutes ago, little_jim said:

"After all its a festival, full of off it up for a laugh people".so this makes it alright does it? Oh its a festival "the rules don't count guys" we can do what ever the heck we want and expect no consequences. Its this attitude that has ruined Reading Festival, there some people believe they are beyond the law so come Sunday night, set light to peoples tents and start what they like to call riots. But "Hey its a festival".!

No don't be a dick (not implying you are yourself) the lad in the video has no excuse for doing what he did. I didn't see many people trying to mount the odd police horse when they were walking through the festival. So why should the odd performer have to put up with rude inconsiderate twats mounting their mode of transport which would be part of their act.

Slightly extreme response.......

The performer was on a mobile magic carpet, bound to attract someone stupid amongst 200k people, even not at a fest, no? Should the performer be understanding if this did happen, yes imo. He'd be stupid not to.

Reading Festival comparison, I've been many times to Reading and Glasto at it's worst even pre 2000 doesn't come anywhere near.

Mounting an on duty police horse maybe viewed slightly differently than being over keen with a passing circus performer, don't you think?

I honestly think this performer was literally a moving target, and quite possibly he knew it too. If while making that contraption he never imagined anyone would jump on for a ride then he's as stupid as the idiot that jumped on it!

Edited by Cooter

3 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I'm not sure hitching a lift on a flying carpet bares any comparison to torching tents or trying to mount a Police horse... fact is, if matey had managed to hitch a ride he'd have been declared a legend.

Exactly, you said it better than I could, and it would have all been very Glasto as they disappeared into the Worthy sunset.