2017 - The Changes

stuartbert two hats

43 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Probably been mentioned but were the metal turnstile type things (without the actual turnstile) when passing under the 'Welcome to The South East Corner' sign a new addition? I assume they keep a track of numbers passing through....

They were definitely there in 2016. :)

Easy crowd management I think...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

If this is true (and subsequent posts suggest as such) then I think we can all agree the Festival as we have known it is officially over.

RIP the long-drop 'clang'.

:(

Did someone on here have the audio file for it? And uses it as a text alert tone?

I was going to start a thread regarding the below but here will probably do.

After finally getting all of my stuff back to my car late (for me) Monday afternoon, I thought to myself "Hmm, no point in leaving now or I'll just hit the A303 at evening rush hour and get stuck, I'll pop back onto site for a last bimble around and a smoke or two".

I got to the entrance to The Stone Circle at about 16:30 and was denied entry by security. After what can only be described as a lot of annoyingly unnecessary "we're going to ignore your reasonable questions and just be bossy" dickheadedness by said security, I was eventually informed by one that they had apparently stopped people entering from 8am that morning and were trying to clear the field. Obviously not trying very hard as there were hundreds of people still in the field.

After being knocked back there I found myself walking to the top of The Park, only to find that that had been taped off at the bottom entrance when I got there. From there I went to take a look at Cinerarmageddon (as I hadn't been during the festival). Also taped off but cool reasonable sensible security guy had no problem letting me have a wander.

Now, obviously they have to start closing things off at some point, but I'm pretty sure I've often been up to the Stone Circle that late on a Monday before (worked last year so left early). The website and programme both recommend that "the worst time to leave is between 09:00 - 17:00 on the Monday" so, what are we supposed to do all day, just wait around in our campsites? Or all bugger off before 9am? Kind of a tradition for me to go back on site and finish off at SC before going home, so I was a bit perturbed and perplexed.

So, does anyone know any facts? SC shutting at 8am Monday seems as bit early doesn't it? When did they start doing this (if it is an actual thing)? If not an actual thing, what was the real reason for it being closed off? Or, what time did they really start denying access?

Edited by MrZigster

17 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Now this has been mentioned, i have realised that i don't remember hearing that clang once the whole week and its such a distinctive noise that i will never forget

Took a newbie this year who is a real misophonist and really thought he would freak with the "clanging" Thought he had done really well until I read this. For me a little piece of Glastonbury has died :(

6 hours ago, MrZigster said:

After finally getting all of my stuff back to my car late (for me) Monday afternoon, I thought to myself "Hmm, no point in leaving now or I'll just hit the A303 at evening rush hour and get stuck, I'll pop back onto site for a last bimble around and a smoke or two".

I got to the entrance to The Stone Circle at about 16:30 and was denied entry by security. After what can only be described as a lot of annoyingly unnecessary "we're going to ignore your reasonable questions and just be bossy" dickheadedness by said security, I was eventually informed by one that they had apparently stopped people entering from 8am that morning and were trying to clear the field. Obviously not trying very hard as there were hundreds of people still in the field.

After being knocked back there I found myself walking to the top of The Park, only to find that that had been taped off at the bottom entrance when I got there. From there I went to take a look at Cinerarmageddon (as I hadn't been during the festival). Also taped off but cool reasonable sensible security guy had no problem letting me have a wander.

Now, obviously they have to start closing things off at some point, but I'm pretty sure I've often been up to the Stone Circle that late on a Monday before (worked last year so left early). The website and programme both recommend that "the worst time to leave is between 09:00 - 17:00 on the Monday" so, what are we supposed to do all day, just wait around in our campsites? Or all bugger off before 9am? Kind of a tradition for me to go back on site and finish off at SC before going home, so I was a bit perturbed and perplexed.

So, does anyone know any facts? SC shutting at 8am Monday seems as bit early doesn't it? When did they start doing this (if it is an actual thing)? If not an actual thing, what was the real reason for it being closed off? Or, what time did they really start denying access?

Yes, our coach was 15.30 so we had to wander around and were stopped from going to the stone circle too... although there were still people in there... maybe it was just no re-entry?  we were reduced to wandering around various food/market stall thats were still open, but it was a bit dull.... at least the weather was good.

4 hours ago, OG said:

Took a newbie this year who is a real misophonist and really thought he would freak with the "clanging" Thought he had done really well until I read this. For me a little piece of Glastonbury has died :(

does this mean we can't call them the slammers any more?

On 03/07/2017 at 2:29 PM, DeanoL said:

The line of food stalls have gone from Greenpeace too. The area felt smaller in general.

I noticed this and thought I was losing my mind. The free fall slide thing in Greenpeace was gone and the skatepark was also moved.

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I worked on the FMS ambulance shift on the Monday morning. We were told that no staff including security were allowed in the stone circle area after midnight due to safety risks.  

We left SE corner about 5:30am, we started to go up to the Stone circle but changed our minds as I had to drive home In the morning so thought we better call it a night, I've been regretting it ever since. Obviously we would've been fine going up at that time but it makes me feel slightly better that there wasn't necessarily people up there all day still having fun :P

13 hours ago, MrZigster said:

We were wandering about through the healing fields on Monday around 3pm and found ourselves at the entrance to the stone circle. There was a bit of a party going on in there, a few hundred people altogether, maybe more.  All seemed under control, some loud music on, people just lazing around in the sun. We had a chat with security on duty. They had been told not to let anyone else in, that they were trying to clear the area 'peacefully', and that last year there were still people in there refusing to leave on the Wednesday...

Being really cheeky asking on this thread as one of the stewards in the SE corner we have been asked to feedback if people found as useful etc! Basically we were there to answer and questions and give directions etc!  i had the time of my life chatting and laughing with people and laughing! If any of you came acoss us please post what you thought on here or pm me! Cheers!

On 03/07/2017 at 11:44 AM, The Nal said:

I feel like shit if I don't have one. Need that and a coffee every morning or the day doesn't start. And a Bloody Mary. 

Actually had a collapsable bucket this year so used that and a water bottle at the campsite a couple of mornings. Just as good as a shower. 

Are you me? That was pretty much my routine bar my wash was boiling up some water on the camping stove, mixing with water from the bucket for a thermally pleasant wash. 

Couldn't go back now.

(we brought celery for our bloody marys too)