2017 - The Changes

stuartbert two hats

3 hours ago, alanr said:

At the start of the festival the path from West Holts to Avalon was closed, so had to walk via T&C. Fortunately it did reopen (not sure when):D

I've only just realised this now. I got confused a couple of times when I headed through Cabaret and thought I was in Avalon. 

On the subject of Greenpeace, I had a cracking falafel wrap effort from the place next to the veggy pizza spot. A highlight of my Thursday.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were less compost toilets 

new cinemaggeddon

were the screens on West holts new? It never used to have screens. 

Also the secret underground piano bar moved from where it's been and replaced with crew camping. Did it appear anywhere else? 

18 minutes ago, sedra said:

There were less compost toilets 

new cinemaggeddon

were the screens on West holts new? It never used to have screens. 

Also the secret underground piano bar moved from where it's been and replaced with crew camping. Did it appear anywhere else? 

Moved further up the hill, nice area actually

8 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Seemed to be a lot less compost toilets this year which really bugged me, as someone who finds the longdrops particularly grim.

They all seemed to be behind cordons, special pass only, workers only, performers only etc

2 hours ago, Ricci's Special Kebabs said:

Another up vote for Greenpeace, I had an amazing time there after The Jacksons on Saturday. Jarvis Cocker playing some cracking tunes from the tree.

Jarvis was brilliant that night wasn't he? We walked through there en route somewhere else after Alt J and stayed for ages. A definite highlight.

Not a change for the festival but more for myself...

I think I've found myself a new home in the pylon ground, usually camp over by the other stage in oxlyers but we decided on a change this year,

nice and relaxed once I got over the crackle from the pylons and wasn't so bad a walk to the main area, decent neighbours too 

9 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I didnt see it reopen and it was very annoying as we use that a lot normally. 

Am sure I might of used this for the first time. Told a steward when somewhere near west holts I needed Avalon and she directed me to a smallish pathway that took me straight thru. 10 years of going never seen.it lol

4 hours ago, Chazwozza said:

Wasn't the bit behind the Rabbit Hole renamed as Fu*kingham Palace?  I don't remember it being called that before, mind you I don't remember it being called anything ....

It used to be called "Down The Rabbit Hole" in the listings.

7 hours ago, Aragorn said:

Am sure I might of used this for the first time. Told a steward when somewhere near west holts I needed Avalon and she directed me to a smallish pathway that took me straight thru. 10 years of going never seen.it lol

I thinks it's always been there previously and quite wide, last year I'm pretty sure the Goan fish curry stall was on the RHS of the opening as you enter the WH area. This year on a couple of occasions when I walked past it was closed off, but it sounds like they opened it up again at some stage.

9 hours ago, timbrass said:

Pussy Parlure was just a tent with BAR written on the front. Used to be a wooden hexagonal structure

This was a change last year i think, the year before it was great - own bar and toilets! A proper "venue" rather than an open tent. Was disappointed when it changed.

My first time back since 2014 so some of my observations may not be fresh:

- The Cave was much bigger which was good, instead of going straight into the tent there was a middle bar/chill out bit

- Less market stalls and cut through to Silver Hayes from the Pyramid/Other path was great for easing crowds

- Shangri La area was exactly the same as 13/14, slightly different theme but same layout, rather than in the first few years where it would be jaw droppingly different each year. I dunno it seems to have lost the magic due to the crowd control issues

- Brothers no longer 3 for a tenner :(

- Less litter which was lovely. Camped in Oxlyers and it seemed way cleaner than usual when leaving on Monday 

19 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Was the Greenpeace boat actually not being used at all? I thought it had just been sectioned off and was still accessible to kids via the railway tunnel at the back of that field..

It was covered with children when I went past.  You can still access the Green Kids bit from both the tunnel and the main Greenpeace area.

The 'stuff' in the tunnel this year was bats.  (I didn't make it through last year so dunno how new that is though)

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

23 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Apparently true (according to Glasto Daily paper anyway). After reading it, I found I was deliberately listening out for the 'clang' and realised that it was still there, just, but softer and quieter. Basically all they have done is put rubber impact thingys on the doors.

Now this has been mentioned, i have realised that i don't remember hearing that clang once the whole week and its such a distinctive noise that i will never forget

34 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

It was covered with children when I went past.  You can still access the Green Kids bit from both the tunnel and the main Greenpeace area.

The 'stuff' in the tunnel this year was bats.  (I didn't make it through last year so dunno how new that is though)

Ah, it'll have been new for this year - they use it for storage out of season so would take any installation within down I would think.

Probably been mentioned but were the metal turnstile type things (without the actual turnstile) when passing under the 'Welcome to The South East Corner' sign a new addition? I assume they keep a track of numbers passing through....

On 03/07/2017 at 11:50 AM, rubenz said:

Silencers on the toilet doors to prevent clanging ( is this actually true?!)

If this is true (and subsequent posts suggest as such) then I think we can all agree the Festival as we have known it is officially over.

RIP the long-drop 'clang'.

:(