Shangri-La 2017

majormajormajor

Anyone else think it wasn't as good as previous years? There seemed to be way less weird little bars/strange goings on and far less visual stimuli. Don't get me wrong, it was still fantastic, but I thought it was missing something this year?

Although, that 'Pop the Chikin' carny game in the Unfairground was one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen.

I quite liked that tiny room playing the 80s stuff on Saturday night. As mentioned elsewhere though, I couldn't find much that wasn't full on drum n bass or techno over that side, even the Rocket Lounge was playing that sort of stuff. Don't particularly mind it, but my mates weren't keen.

12 hours ago, Badlands said:

I quite liked that tiny room playing the 80s stuff on Saturday night. As mentioned elsewhere though, I couldn't find much that wasn't full on drum n bass or techno over that side, even the Rocket Lounge was playing that sort of stuff. Don't particularly mind it, but my mates weren't keen.

Not just a Shangri La problem. All over the festival I've felt there's an abundance of DnB after hours and not much else the past two years. 

9 hours ago, Time Being said:

Were the areas with stairs open at any point? Anytime I passed by they were barricaded off. There was one opposite the Gas Tower as an island of sorts and then there was another opposite the old Hell Stage.

'Urban Sea' bar was a good gag. There was always a 5-10 min queue to get in, security enforcing and everything. It wasn't even a bar, it was just a staircase that went up and down. Nothing else. There wasn't even a view! :D:D:D

Definitely less micro venues, and nothing will ever top Shrionel Ritchie for me.

- But, had a good night at Clash on Friday night but I was up on the balconies so there was no sound bleed. I can't really remember what was going on but there was some videos of some filth garage being played by Kurupt FM.

- Earache stage was fairly decent, but it was essentially just a Spotify playlist playing songs rather than anything imaginative when I went there. 

- Rocket lounge and Diner were both so random, In the early hours of Sunday Morning/Saturday night they were going from Dexy's midnight runners into proper DnB, killed my vibe and I left. 

Biggest regret- Not being able to argue my way into the female only venue and being told 'You have the rest of the festival to enjoy', whilst inside the secret door I could see a large number of females dancing. It looked glorious  

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

'Urban Sea' bar was a good gag. There was always a 5-10 min queue to get in, security enforcing and everything. It wasn't even a bar, it was just a staircase that went up and down. Nothing else. There wasn't even a view! :D:D:D

Hahaha nicely done to them them. Was sort of hoping those stairs would be towers with chill out areas at the top. Found that Shangri La needed some chill out areas as evidenced by the hordes of people sitting around on the ground.

22 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I always find SGL a bit overhyped

its all about bloc 9 and the common

I think it depends on what you're after. My first Glasto in 2015, I was more than happy to do endless laps of Shangi-la checking out the strange going's on. However 2016, and more so this year, I ventured up SEC more for the music, and you're quite right, B9 and the Common blow SGL out the water for that.

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

I quite liked it up there. It was mesmerising to peer through the bottles and watch the rivers of thousands of people below.

While I had some fun times there, more than the rearranged spaces it was really sad that as far as I could tell they'd completely ditched the actors which were previously a signature part of the area. It had in past a sense that it was both a party and living piece of interactive theatre. That, more even than the micro venues, was key to its atmosphere for me and it's a real shame that they'd chosen to go without them this year. 

The first bar on the right as you come down the hill from the common entrance was, workers in Soviet esque army gear scanning everyone who come in (to see if they where aliens or had a positive vibe?, can't remember the concept now), no actual bar though so only stayed till our ale ran out.

Didn't hit the spot for me this year....the last few years with the micro venues and the windows etc have been great....and of course before that the alleyways, which were a triumph....but this year it seemed a little lame in comparison and lacked some imagination.  Of course if you were off your t*ts then it was probably epic but sober other than a few beers left me feeling that somewhat disappointed.

I'm also not keen on the extension to the Temple and the consequent loss of Back of Beyond/Copperdollar.....the whole Common field now seems almost without exception dedicated to the ravers....which also left me feeling a little alienated.

Age has much to do with it I suppose..... 

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

Didn't hit the spot for me this year....the last few years with the micro venues and the windows etc have been great....and of course before that the alleyways, which were a triumph....but this year it seemed a little lame in comparison and lacked some imagination.  Of course if you were off your t*ts then it was probably epic but sober other than a few beers left me feeling that somewhat disappointed.

I'm also not keen on the extension to the Temple and the consequent loss of Back of Beyond/Copperdollar.....the whole Common field now seems almost without exception dedicated to the ravers....which also left me feeling a little alienated.

Age has much to do with it I suppose..... 

I felt exactly the same.

Was gutted about Copperdollar

Haven't seen any mention of the Greenhouse yet, but I loved it in there. Spent a good few hours there on Fri and Sat night, wasn't ever that packed but a bass heavy late night dub/reggae venue is perfect for me, sound system was great too, think it said it was Solution Sound. Would be good to see them have a different Sound system each year, Iration Steppas or Mungo's Hifi (who I guess weren't providing the sound for the Blues this year?) sound systems would be very cool in there.