Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

The National – Depeche Mode – The XX
QOTSA – Gorillaz
Arctic Monkeys (- The Prodigy?)
Nick Cave – Pearl Jam

Something like this..? Thursday has always been the hardest day to sell out so that's why there are like 3 headliners there.. The rest seems fairely reasonable, I think..

3 minutes ago, arcuse said:

The National – Depeche Mode – The XX
QOTSA – Gorillaz
Arctic Monkeys (- The Prodigy?)
Nick Cave – Pearl Jam

Something like this..? Thursday has always been the hardest day to sell out so that's why there are like 3 headliners there.. The rest seems fairely reasonable, I think..

You can expect something better because last editions they always had two HUGE headliners among the four; based on your picks, you could have something like (but it would be huge)

QOTSA - Guns'N'Roses

Nick Cave - Depeche Mode

The XX - Gorillaz

The National - Pearl Jam

You just left out Arctic Monkeys and The Prodigy for Guns N Roses,for the rest it's the exact same? Now while I  think GnR is a contender for a headlinespot, I also think they're too expensive. And whilst last year had a massive set of headliners, it defenitely had an influence on the Barn/Klub C spots, no? Id rather have a balanced set of headliners with great tent acts or just a good undercard overall than big expensive headliners and a rather average set of tent acts. 

Edited by arcuse

49 minutes ago, arcuse said:

You just left out Arctic Monkeys and The Prodigy for Guns N Roses,for the rest it's the exact same? Now while I  think GnR is a contender for a headlinespot, I also think they're too expensive. And whilst last year had a massive set of headliners, it defenitely had an influence on the Barn/Klub C spots, no? Id rather have a balanced set of headliners with great tent acts or just a good undercard overall than big expensive headliners and a rather average set of tent acts. 

I misread but my point still stands + Depeche Mode is a 'huge' headliner in Belgium, no? I think they have the legacy, the hits and can draw a fair crowd. RW doesn't really need to have 2 huge headliners imo, I think they just book for what's available and that there is no specific rule to that.

4 hours ago, arcuse said:

I agree with you that the undercard is very important but I think last year was the first in years that had ok undercard. Look at 2013's edition - massive with headliners and a great undercard. 2014&2015 were just a little bit less heavy with headliners along with  a terrific undercard. 2016 was a weird year, but what a top undercard! 

Edited by e2p2
  • Like 1

2013- Green Day - Rammstein (then smaller headliners cohead (KoL-Blur, Depeche Mode-Editors))

2014- Pearl Jam - Metallica  (then Arctic Monkeys-Major Lazer, Kol)

2015 - initially Foo Fighters -  Muse (Mumford, Lenny Kravitz)

2016 - Paul McCartney - Rammstein/ Red Hot (Florence)

2017- Foo Fighters - Radiohead (Soad,Linkin Park,KoL,Arcade Fire)

9 hours ago, arcuse said:

I misread but my point still stands + Depeche Mode is a 'huge' headliner in Belgium, no? I think they have the legacy, the hits and can draw a fair crowd. RW doesn't really need to have 2 huge headliners imo, I think they just book for what's available and that there is no specific rule to that.

Depeche Mode are not bigger than in 2013, and Arctic Monkeys are not bigger than in 2014, that's why I think that headliners will be Pearl Jam + another huge one, I insist on the word huge, not new headliners (bands that can fill stadiums, like Guns, Rolling Stones, Muse, U2, Roger Waters etc)

With this logic, I don't see how Rock Werchter could not have Pearl Jam in 2018. They seem obvious to try for organizers.

2 hours ago, Tremousse said:

2013- Green Day - Rammstein (then smaller headliners cohead (KoL-Blur, Depeche Mode-Editors))

It doesn't mean that when there's only one headliner on a specific day that it also means that that headliner is huge/popular or costs a lot which, the second one, was my point. 

Arctic Monkeys are not bigger than in 2014

Wrong, AM was huge here and I expect them to only become bigger.

that's why I think that headliners will be Pearl Jam + another huge one, I insist on the word huge, not new headliners (bands that can fill stadiums, like Guns, Rolling Stones, Muse, U2, Roger Waters etc)

Guns N Roses are 1) very expensive 2) fit better at GMM or a lose concert at Stade Baudouin or something else. The Rolling Stones are set for TW Classic and are very expensive aswell. Muse will be back in 2019 with that new record, I think RW18 will come to fast. U2, from what I can tell from their website is that they 1) are not coming to Belgium next year 2) are not coming to Belgium next year for an arena show, so a festival might be an option. Roger Waters is out because of the two May dates next year in Sportpaleis.

Prediction: the first act to be announced is going to be Depeche Mode for Thursday, next week.

Depeche Mode are not bigger than in 2013, and Arctic Monkeys are not bigger than in 2014, that's why I think that headliners will be Pearl Jam + another huge one, I insist on the word huge, not new headliners (bands that can fill stadiums, like Guns, Rolling Stones, Muse, U2, Roger Waters etc)

With this logic, I don't see how Rock Werchter could not have Pearl Jam in 2018. They seem obvious to try for organizers.

@Tremousse, dont forget that 2013-2016 years had pretty big dance closers after Thursday headliners (Netsky, Skrillex, The Chemical Brothers, Disclosure). also 2013 had also Nick Cave, 2014 had Stromae (Huge local artist), 2015 had The Prodigy and 2016 had Editors too. In addition, despite I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan, I dont think that the casual fan consider Depeche Mode/RHCP/Blur to be smaller than PJ.

My point is, heavyweight headliners doesn't always mean a lesser undercard. I do think 2017 could have a much stronger undercard based on what I saw in other festivals, e.g Mad Cool's 2017 undercard. maybe the fact that 2016 edition didnt sell out and people who bought tickets didnt show up due to the situation in Belgium at that time had an affect on the following edition.

I don't think we'll get names today. Like I said last week, they usually change their profile and cover picture on facebook with the new graphic identity before announcing anybody.

As The National played yesterday in Brussels (and guys, they played Boxer entirely so it was freakin awesome !), they will probably announced next week I guess.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, eratiti007 said:

I don't think we'll get names today. Like I said last week, they usually change their profile and cover picture on facebook with the new graphic identity before announcing anybody.

As The National played yesterday in Brussels (and guys, they played Boxer entirely so it was freakin awesome !), they will probably announced next week I guess.

Glad for you guys that you got a special treat after the cancelation of previous shows due to Obama. Awesome band.