Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

That was great. Loved it. 

Sadly over indulged a little for Gorillas and Killers and remember nothing- like a knob- but all in all had a great time. Loved AM but agree a weird one- practically no audience interaction plus songs no one knows for the encores?!

9 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

For me Cave was the true Sunday headliner. Or David Byrne, who also put on one helluva show. 

Other highlights include Gorillaz, QOTSA, Pearl Jam (not even a huge fan), Ben Howard, Sigrid, Jack White and a very convincing Anderson Paak. 

Was really nice to see you again @lighthouse! Didn’t really catch up, but that’ll be for another time. 

I agree with everything you say, especially Byrne. Him and Anderson .Paak were the best shows of the weekend for me along with your other mentions. And want to add Fleet Foxes, First Aid Kit and Wolf Alice. Was really surprised I liked FAK that much (and not just for the obvious reason). Such a shame Wolf Alice had such a short slot on the smallest stage. 

Also a shoutout to @Tremousse, was an absolute pleasure to meet you!

• Like 2

I was only present on Sunday but it was a very memorable day. My favourites were definitely Eels and Nick Cave. My only regret is that I saw Noel Gallaghers gig and couldn't make it into the Barn for NIN (too many people). 

I've already seen David Byrne and Queens of the Stone age earlier this summer and I'm sure they were awesome at Werchter too!

10 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I loved AM as I knew every lyrics but yeah. Atmosphere was really strange for them 

That’s really strange. I watched them on tv at trnsmt and they were absolutely stunning. I’m not their biggest fan but the show in Glasgow was fantastic 

3 hours ago, Red Day said:

That’s really strange. I watched them on tv at trnsmt and they were absolutely stunning. I’m not their biggest fan but the show in Glasgow was fantastic 

To be fair where I was the crowd were absolutely rocking. He didn’t speak much which left some silences, but most seemed to be enjoying it. 

31 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

To be fair where I was the crowd were absolutely rocking. He didn’t speak much which left some silences, but most seemed to be enjoying it. 

dunno about killers and gorillaz as i was in the front for the whole time for these two, but it was a huge diff in engagement and no of participants between PJ and AM- in favour of PJ ofc (spend most of the concert at the back on both of them).

and yeah, post malone was surprisingly good. i hope he brings a band for the next tour and fullfils his potential.

Edited by neacaisa

1 hour ago, neacaisa said:

dunno about killers and gorillaz as i was in the front for the whole time for these two, but it was a huge diff in engagement and no of participants between PJ and AM- in favour of PJ ofc (spend most of the concert at the back on both of them).

and yeah, post malone was surprisingly good. i hope he brings a band for the next tour and fullfils his potential.

Oh yeah, the other headliners got more love, but I don’t think Arctic Monkeys fell flat that’s all 

5 hours ago, strummer77 said:

Oh yeah, the other headliners got more love, but I don’t think Arctic Monkeys fell flat that’s all 

I think they completely lost the crowd between Teddy Picker and Do I Wanna Know and I wasn't even that far back. I'm not trying to bash AM, they are with Nick Cave and QOTSA my favorite act on a bill, but they really failed to engage the crowd in any sense :(

My top acts in no order:
Pearl Jam - first time seeing them and I completely get why people follow them around the world 
Nick Cave - 2 times seeing almost the same show in a week and still fucking amazing. I just love to see acts give everything they have during a show
QOTSA - Josh was smashed, loved his rude jokes and I just love how big their sound is
NIN - finally saw them for the first time ever too and it was intense, maybe not the 90s peak intense but intense

Idles - all around fun band, loved how sunburn they are, proper British band? :lol:

Usually my favorite acts aren't the headliners but this time they nailed pretty much all of them. Great edition for me

Edited by Nicklord
  • Upvote 1

I've loved it again !! My fav acts, in no order were Pearl Jam, Nick Cave, Jack White, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Killers featuring partying Belgian supporters after the EPIC game, then Stereophonics, Courteeners, and Jack Johnson with a smoothie on the sand.

5th edition for me, and I've never met so many people at RW! From Cyprus, Greece, Israel, England, Belgium, Uruguay, Brazil (la la la la la la la laaaaa), Ireland, Turkey, Netherlands..... including @visdave34 and @e2p2 .

Need a bit more shade next time, but it was another memorable edition.

Edited by Tremousse

2 hours ago, Red Day said:

How long a set did NIN play ? . I’ll see them at NOS this week and it seems to be a very short set they have in Portugal 

75 minutes. They were amazing. 

Favorite acts of the weekend for me were Gorillaz, NIN and Pearl Jam. And one that surprised me was Franz Ferdinand - they blew the roof off. 

As for AM I can see where people are coming from, though I enjoyed them myself they could have had a bit more crowd interaction and perhaps finished on something stronger given they were the closing act. 

Edited by djd4
  • Upvote 1

back to work today after my first time at RW!

7 of us, flights from manc to brussels/hire car/drive to Hive Resort via camping shop/Aldi - surprisingly easy!

hive resort is awesome, very well organised, nice showers/restaurant/bar, army tent for 8 was a great size with air beds. we also crashed into a posher (empty) tent with beds/quilts one night, and took another empty tents mattresses into our own tent for final night for a better kip!

token thing works i guess and we bought in advance but still means all food/drink is very pricey, and beer is in 1/2s which is very annoying.

CTRL park was good for the england game, as was north west walls and slope (did a half each) for the Belgium game!

Food wise, very much a let down but i have high standards from glasto i guess. Wings and waffles were good but the mr pitta was pretty grim. the food outside the fest on the street was also horrendous (had a pasta).

Arena/bands wise, what a letdown. Noel Gallagher couldnt be arsed, crowd for AM was boring to name a couple. Worst thing is the crowd in general were very quiet compared to any other festival. Is this normal? was it the heat?!

Anderson Paak was far and away the best across all days performance wise and crowd wise.

We all had a fun but wont be returning, also were told you cant get refunded for un-used tokens which is a bit of joke really!

Good security all round which we were impressed with, but a bit over the top not allowing empty 1L bottles of water to be refilled, and metal water holders? 1/2 empty water bottles werent checked though so shouldve snuck in spirits but all in hindsight.

4 hours ago, djd4 said:

75 minutes. They were amazing. 

Favorite acts of the weekend for me were Gorillaz, NIN and Pearl Jam. And one that surprised me was Franz Ferdinand - they blew the roof off. 

As for AM I can see where people are coming from, though I enjoyed them myself they could have had a bit more crowd interaction and perhaps finished on something stronger given they were the closing act. 

Thanks for replying. Really looking forward to seeing NIN and was a bit unsure about their length of set.

First time at Werchter, absolutely loved it...my feet and the back of my neck aren't so keen, but I enjoyed immensely.

Best bands of the weekend: NIN (nearly missed them to watch Noel, last minute decision, and it was the right one..), Jack White, QOTSA, Stereophonics, Gorillaz (mainly because I couldn't get Eden Hazard/Kids with Guns out of my head all weekend), Stone Sour...I could go on.

Worst band of the weekend: David Byrne. Because I missed him. And I was gutted.

Is there anywhere to buy merchandise after the festival? Was looking to pick up the awesome looking red t-shirt that sold out on the first day...

for those asking: yeah, the crowd is pretty much like this in werchter(my second year). few moments/concerts of amazing atmosphere, but overall the atmosphere is not great. ofc, it has the upside of less people creating trouble, but it's not a festival for those who find singalongs/cheering very important.

1 minute ago, neacaisa said:

for those asking: yeah, the crowd is pretty much like this in werchter(my second year). few moments/concerts of amazing atmosphere, but overall the atmosphere is not great. ofc, it has the upside of less people creating trouble, but it's not a festival for those who find singalongs/cheering very important.

It's something I don't mind tbh, I've been to 'crazier' festivals, but the relaxed atmosphere at this one is something I appreciate as I get older! I saw no crowd trouble or anyone out of their mind/horrendously drunk. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, djd4 said:

What do you think would be a stronger closer than 505?! I'm so glad they've moved it there and I hope stays there, it's been the best closer they've had. It felt strange earlier on in the set and R U Mine isn't a great one to end on IMO

Just got back from first RW. Had an amazing time. Drove from Lpool, ferry across to Calais, visit to Calais Wine Superstore for supplies then unfortunately had to detour to find a supermarket as we forgot stuff. Didn't get there till 6pm Thu so missed lots.

Gonna do a blog and link it here at some point. Stayed in Hive MySpace.

Positives off top of my head: Organisation, cost of tickets, lineup programming, toilets, free water, free suncream and hats, The Barn (what a music venue), the unbelievable weather, footy, security, the festival goers (polite, friendly), ease of getting to front for most acts.

Negatives: showers and kitchen in the Hive closed by 7pm, price of food and drink, walk from car park to Hive and Hive to arena, arena to Leuven bus stop, lack of shade (literally made me miss some acts), waking in a baking tent, drinking hot wine and beer (forgot cool box).

Music highlights for me were nearly everyone I saw; QOTSA, Gorillaz, Dermot Kennedy, First Aid Kit, Angus and Julia Stone, Wolf Alice, Chvrches, Breeders, Stone Sour, Jorja Smith, MGMT, Jack White, Pearl Jam, David Byrne (only caught end) and Nick Cave. 

Massively dissapointed I watched Noel Gallagher. So boring.

Sadly missed Friday headliners as over done it and crashed and also missing Fever Ray as had to get up at 5am for long drive home!

6 hours ago, lagerlout said:

Also whoever gave the tip on the buffalo wings, good call!

You're welcome ?

On 7/7/2018 at 9:44 AM, Jimmerz95 said:

Did you get it in the end? 

Honestly Jimmerz, it's a day I'll never forget.
Long story short: 
- Left bag on train
- Asked at customer services if I could get it back. They said I wouldn't get it back for two weeks after filling out a form online. 
- Wasn't having that so got on the next train to the bag train's destination (didn't realise it would take an hour)
- Whilst on said train, phoned every number I could find
- Finally spoke to someone who said they had a bag matching the description but usually it would have to go to a central lost property area 
- Got to the station - they had a bag - but it was the wrong one.
- Phoned the number again and they had confused me for someone else.
- I eventually got it back 20 minutes later, once they worked out who I was on the phone to and made it just in time for The Vaccines (woohoo!)

Edited by thetechi
  • Like 1