Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

So to build hype I thought we should do some silly conversations - odd questions about the festival.

1.  (A slight negative but positive because it means there's too much choice) What would you consider the festival's worst clash to be this year?

For me it HAS to be George Ezra vs Kaleo. 

Considering they're on at identical times it's a bummer for me. Especially as I was so gutted when Kaleo pulled out last year. I reckon I'm going to go for George Ezra as I probably wouldn't go and see him at his own gig but yet his popularity is still rising. Kaleo I would happily pay quite a bit to see them at their own show. 

Your go.

Edited by thetechi
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, thetechi said:

So to build hype I thought we should do some silly conversations - odd questions about the festival.

1.  (A slight negative but positive because it means there's too much choice) What would you consider the festival's worst clash to be this year?

Considering they're on at identical times it's a bummer for me. Especially as I was so gutted when Kaleo pulled out last year. I reckon I'm going to go for George Ezra as I probably wouldn't go and see him at his own gig but yet his popularity is still rising. Kaleo I would happily pay quite a bit to see them at their own show. 

Your go.

Main stage acts in the day always seem a little disappointing from my perspective so If I had to pick between the two I think George Ezra in the barn will be a better experience.  

9 hours ago, thetechi said:

Your go.

Mine would be The Eels vs David Byrne. 

I must admit I hadn’t listened to either a great deal before the lineup but I’m loving the stuff I’ve heard from The Eels... and DB is a bit of a legend himself. Plus I’m hearing lots of great things about his recent live shows. 

Think I’m going to opt to see David Byrne for similar reasons to yours. Feel like I’d pay to go see The Eels but likely will never see David Byrne on his own. 

• Upvote 1

Also Eels/Byrne for me. Although I'm also not happy with Fleet Foxes/Jack White and NoelG/NiN partly clashing and Fever Ray being on at the same time as the Monkeys. But you said it yourself, it's positive we have so much good stuff to choose from!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

see Byrne - the show is getting rave reviews everywhere.

And it is 'a show', I saw it the other day and it was superb.

I was leaning towards Byrne, since I haven't seen him before and would most likely not buy a ticket for a solo concert of his. Moreover, he is in The Barn, whereas Eels is on the huge main stage, which is also a plus for Byrne.

1 hour ago, Nipplesnipplesnipples said:

yo yo yo wassup people

can someone please tell me the main difference between A1 and Hive camping? I have A1 but looking on ts for hive tickets

also what is a tvv music for life ticket?

que?

In The Hive there is an entertainment zone and you can already arrive on wednesday. A1 is a 'normal' camping.

The music for life ticket was a special ticket you could buy in december for charity but it's basically just a normal combi ticket.

39 minutes ago, ThijsDB said:

In The Hive there is an entertainment zone and you can already arrive on wednesday. A1 is a 'normal' camping.

The music for life ticket was a special ticket you could buy in december for charity but it's basically just a normal combi ticket.

thanks mate

still fecking need 2 hive camping tickets. if anyone has any to sell they can shag my sister

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

14 hours ago, thetechi said:

For me it HAS to be George Ezra vs Kaleo

Your go.

Absolutely the same - we even bugged RW but no dice. Really looked forward to them last year too.

My daughter loves Ezra and will go to see him; me Kaleo.
Fortunately, I'm off to tuckfestival and Ezra is there (along with Editors and a few more).

6 hours ago, danegg said:

Mine would be The Eels vs David Byrne. 

I must admit I hadn’t listened to either a great deal before the lineup but I’m loving the stuff I’ve heard from The Eels... and DB is a bit of a legend himself. Plus I’m hearing lots of great things about his recent live shows. 

Think I’m going to opt to see David Byrne for similar reasons to yours. Feel like I’d pay to go see The Eels but likely will never see David Byrne on his own. 

Couldn't agree much more with this! 

I've decided to see Eels, to make up for it I have purchased quite expensive David Byrne tickets for his show in Cardiff ?

16 hours ago, thetechi said:

We haven't had your personal line-up poster this year Jimmerz... I've been waiting ? haha 

This put a genuine smile on my face! ?, because of that I'll post my list!

First things first: Clashfinders are a lot better, but I don't factor in potential clashes on this image. This is more to tell me the quality of the festival in a general sense. It's my opinion, so don't judge. I try to put as little red highlights as I can so that they mean more. 

I'm not sure how clear this image will be but:

Red: Most excited (Will miss any blue/black/no highlight)
Blue: Definitely want to see (Will miss any black/no highlight)
Black: Interested - would 

Mathematically, if red is worth 3 points, blue is worth 2 and black is worth 1. The scores for each day look like this:
Thursday: 20
Friday: 31
Saturday: 20
Sunday: 33

I rate the bands on past performance, thus my expectation for this time. They really need to wow me to make me put blue/red. Like I've seen James Bay before and I don't think he'd be worth seeing again (So he has no highlight)

Hype list updated.jpg

Edited by Jimmerz95
added info
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Saw Editors last night. I still don't understand how they're headliners in Belgium. I mean, they were good, quite good actually but their stage presence is 0 and the whole performance screamed 4pm festival slot if you know what I mean :lol: 

Stage presence 0? Really? Were you seeing the same Editors? Because Tom Smith is one of the most passionate perfomers I’ve ever seen on stage. 

And to avoid misunderstandings: no, I’m not Belgian and no, I’m not a particularly huge fan of the band. Just thought the stage presence remark was a bit strange. Or he behaves totally different on stage outside Belgium and The Netherlands...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, visdave34 said:

Stage presence 0? Really? Were you seeing the same Editors? Because Tom Smith is one of the most passionate perfomers I’ve ever seen on stage. 

And to avoid misunderstandings: no, I’m not Belgian and no, I’m not a particularly huge fan of the band. Just thought the stage presence remark was a bit strange. Or he behaves totally different on stage outside Belgium and The Netherlands...

I think it's not performing in Belgium and The Netherlands :lol: 

Same thing happened when I saw Foals. I watched their live sets from Reading and various others UK gigs, they're unbelievable and then I saw them in Germany where they literally couldn't give a single fuck and it was pretty visible. Editors weren't that drastic but still visible. Does this look like a gig they'd do at Pinkpop or Werchter? 

Not a fan at all, but. Last time they performed at RW they were fantastic... RHCP were not as good imo (I even left for Tame Impala) , people came for Editors on that day, and Editors killed it. The crowd was a great choir, and the final was astonishing with fireworks.