Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

15 hours ago, e2p2 said:

The Sunday schedule changed a bit - David Byrne got additional ten minutes, so all the KluB C  & the Barn shows move ten minutes forward. So anyone who thought they have some time after NIN to get a spot at Nick Cave need to carefully think what to do, NIN ends exactly when Cave starts. There might be additional changes later of course.

Bad news for me since I want to see NIN, Noel and Nick Cave. I guess if you miss the first few songs in Caves set you can see NIN to the very end.  

People have touched on this before over the last hundred pages, but just wondering what kind of weather should be expected? Done Benicassim twice (second was way too hot) and done may Irish festivals (too wet) so hoping RW will be warm and dry?!

Also, do you think it's imperative to bring a sleeping bag? If so would it possible to pick one up in Leuven? Will be short for space without a checked bag (have Hive resort tickets so don't need to bring a tent/air mattress).

One final question, is there anywhere to buy alcohol within walking distance of the campsites, or is Leuven your only option to top up your campsite beers?

20 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

I myself preferred Mad Cool over Werchter because at the time when the first was selling out, Werchter were still with just the headliners, and although Werchter will be probably better organized from a logistic point of view, there is more quality AND quantity  in Mad Cool's  lineup IMHO. This paired with less costs, festival nearby a major capital, better weather, wiser marketing campaign, I'd say game, set, match.

The problem I've always had with mad cool is that you definitely see less bands for you money because of staging and clashes. Plus no camping and an extra day at werchter always made it more appealing

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, McCallion said:

The problem I've always had with mad cool is that you definitely see less bands for you money because of staging and clashes. Plus no camping and an extra day at werchter always made it more appealing

Yes, I have the impression that it will be a pain in the back to do back and forth from stages for 10 hours in a row with no rest. But on the other hand, Werchter ain't Sziget - it is not like they make terrible picks for a whole day (or a whole week, ehm ehm 2017's edition) and still you have plenty of things to do. I look at Pearl Jam-Jack White day at Werchter: for my tastes I think I'd be waiting for 10 hours the starting of the night. 70 euros for 2 bands (3 with Stone Sour)? Not my cup of tea

• Downvote 1

On 4/14/2018 at 1:21 PM, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Yes, I have the impression that it will be a pain in the back to do back and forth from stages for 10 hours in a row with no rest. But on the other hand, Werchter ain't Sziget - it is not like they make terrible picks for a whole day (or a whole week, ehm ehm 2017's edition) and still you have plenty of things to do. I look at Pearl Jam-Jack White day at Werchter: for my tastes I think I'd be waiting for 10 hours the starting of the night. 70 euros for 2 bands (3 with Stone Sour)? Not my cup of tea

So miss a day?
PJ are about 100e in Amsterdam and they're on their own mostly, I'm happy to pay less for a full day at a festival.

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2018 at 2:16 PM, arcuse said:

What do you mean? Isn't that at every festival that they have different stages which means you have to walk back and forth to see certain acts? :P 

The issue I had last year was they had a similar amount of acts as RW divided over twice as many stages (ie. most stages only had 3 acts per day). This meant that at many points there were 3 or 4 similar sized bands that I wanted to see all playing at the same time at opposite ends of the park. I've had occasional clashes at RW before but never as bad as I had at Mad Cool. Normally at RW I average 9-10 bands per day, at Mad Cool it was more like 5 or 6. With such a stacked line-up this year, my worry would be there will be huge clashes.

Different location this year though so they might take a different approach to scheduling.

On 14/04/2018 at 12:45 PM, GuinnessSupper said:

People have touched on this before over the last hundred pages, but just wondering what kind of weather should be expected? Done Benicassim twice (second was way too hot) and done may Irish festivals (too wet) so hoping RW will be warm and dry?!

In 2010 there was a heat wave and it hit 46c on the hottest day. In 2016 it rained for 3 days, and we got a bit of sunshine on the last day.

• Like 1

On 14-4-2018 at 1:45 PM, GuinnessSupper said:

Also, do you think it's imperative to bring a sleeping bag? If so would it possible to pick one up in Leuven? Will be short for space without a checked bag (have Hive resort tickets so don't need to bring a tent/air mattress).

One final question, is there anywhere to buy alcohol within walking distance of the campsites, or is Leuven your only option to top up your campsite beers?

Impossible to say at this moment. A maximum of 2 weeks before the festival you will get a better view on the weather.
Been there since I was a young kid and I can say that only one thing is certain: there will be no snow :)
We had cold editions with 10°C and rain, we had some hot editions over 30°C (but never 46°C :) ).
Belgium has an average of 14 days with rain in July, average maximum temperature of 23°C and minimum of 14°C.

If it is cold, you can use a sleeping bag. But if it is sunny and you have been in the sun for a whole day, you may get cold at night. So a sleeping bag is always a good idea.

There is a supermarket in Haacht, +/- 3km from The Hive. Good for the first day. On day 2, the 6km walk for some bottles looks already like 10km, on day 4 it is the highway to hell ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hi,

8 of us travelling from Wales to the festival for the first time, just after some information, sorry if they've been answered previously.

1) We have paid for the 8 man army tent, what's the atmosphere like around this area ? how far away is it to the stage area ?is it worth the money ? Do we get assigned a tent or is it whatever army tent is left when we arrive ? Just general information really.

2) Can we take our own drink into the festival ? Is there a shop outside the festival ? Can we leave and re-enter the festival ?

3) After the bands have finished at night are there dance tents or whatever to go back too ?

4) What lager do they sell at the fesitval ?

Thank you. 

11 minutes ago, callumG94 said:

Hi,

8 of us travelling from Wales to the festival for the first time, just after some information, sorry if they've been answered previously.

1) We have paid for the 8 man army tent, what's the atmosphere like around this area ? how far away is it to the stage area ?is it worth the money ? Do we get assigned a tent or is it whatever army tent is left when we arrive ? Just general information really.

2) Can we take our own drink into the festival ? Is there a shop outside the festival ? Can we leave and re-enter the festival ?

3) After the bands have finished at night are there dance tents or whatever to go back too ?

4) What lager do they sell at the fesitval ?

Thank you. 

Hey,

1) I've never done the Hive Resort before but from what I gather it's a little more chilled out than the main Hive site. You can of course go into the Hive Entertainment though so don't worry about being too far away from the entertainment. Me and 7 other dudes are doing the Army tent this year and I assume it's first come first serve. They're all identical though. The main benefit for me is that you get to skip the queue and dont have to carry a huge tent around.

2) You can bring drink (no glass) into the campstie but not into the main festival arena. Theres a small shop down the road from the campsite but I'd advise stocking up in Leuven on the Wednesday before you head to the festival. Better selection & prices. You can enter and leave using the shuttle busses whenever you like, it's just a bit of a hassle, so if you can get things on the Wednesday I'd advise it.

3) The Hive entertainment zone runs until 4 / 4.30am every night after the festival. It's near the Hive campsite and you'll get in with your Army Tent Hive resort ticket.

4) The lager of the fest is Jupiler. There's some craft beer bars with more selection around the site but Jupiler is your main choice at most bars.

Hope this helps :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, McCallion said:

Hey,

1) I've never done the Hive Resort before but from what I gather it's a little more chilled out than the main Hive site. You can of course go into the Hive Entertainment though so don't worry about being too far away from the entertainment. Me and 7 other dudes are doing the Army tent this year and I assume it's first come first serve. They're all identical though. The main benefit for me is that you get to skip the queue and dont have to carry a huge tent around.

2) You can bring drink (no glass) into the campstie but not into the main festival arena. Theres a small shop down the road from the campsite but I'd advise stocking up in Leuven on the Wednesday before you head to the festival. Better selection & prices. You can enter and leave using the shuttle busses whenever you like, it's just a bit of a hassle, so if you can get things on the Wednesday I'd advise it.

3) The Hive entertainment zone runs until 4 / 4.30am every night after the festival. It's near the Hive campsite and you'll get in with your Army Tent Hive resort ticket.

4) The lager of the fest is Jupiler. There's some craft beer bars with more selection around the site but Jupiler is your main choice at most bars.

Hope this helps :)

Hi mate,

That definitely helps, thanks for such a thorough response, much appreciated. 

We should arrive at the festival Thursday morning so hopefully there will be some decent spots left for us.

Just now, callumG94 said:

Hi mate,

That definitely helps, thanks for such a thorough response, much appreciated. 

We should arrive at the festival Thursday morning so hopefully there will be some decent spots left for us.

No worries :) you'll definitely have a reserved spot in the resort which is the nicest campsite imo so I wouldn't worry :)

1 hour ago, McCallion said:

No worries :) you'll definitely have a reserved spot in the resort which is the nicest campsite imo so I wouldn't worry :)

Awesome, sounds like it's definitely worth the money considering there's 8 of us as well.

What kind of parties are there after music finishes ? silent discos etc I imagine is it ?

Also, feel free to ignore this, i am not sure how appropriate is it but one of my friends has said to ask how easy it is to get drugs ?

6 hours ago, callumG94 said:

Awesome, sounds like it's definitely worth the money considering there's 8 of us as well.

What kind of parties are there after music finishes ? silent discos etc I imagine is it ?

Also, feel free to ignore this, i am not sure how appropriate is it but one of my friends has said to ask how easy it is to get drugs ?

7 of us going from Manchester in an 8 man tent, all newbies too!

how far is the Car park from hive resort? We’ll have 2 hire cars

7 hours ago, callumG94 said:

If you have Hive camping they have a large metal party barn type structure that has music going until like 4am, Weds-Sunday night

16 hours ago, callumG94 said:

Yeah, as said above. Tends to be branded parties from Studio Brussel and Red Bull. Also there's usually some mad Lipton Ice Tea party on the Wednesday.

I don''t know much about drugs at the festival, but I would advise that checks in and out of the festival have become more heightened in recent years due to terror attacks in Belgium. Before you go into the festival every day you have to go through body scanners / metal detectors and put items in your pockets in a clear plastic bag.

23 minutes ago, TheFieryFurnace18 said:

First timer here, really looking forward to it. What woud people say the best way to travel is? I'm from Liverpool and don't know whether to fly or catch a train. 

When I used to live in Liverpool we'd fly from Manchester to Charleroi with Ryanair but I know prices have gone up this year. I''ve got one mate who still lives there whos getting a train to London and then the Eurostar to Brussels. Theres not much in it so i'd just compare the two options and see which is better for price / timings.